Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bolt already has the Bosch iBooster braking system, I wonder if they also use the Bosch multi camera system, I'd be willing to bet 'yes'. GM uses 3rd party solutions whenever possible it seems. The top down 3D view looks really similar to our system - spitting image.

What's really interesting about this system is that if we do have it, it is far more capable than what GM has given us so far. The Bosch system allows seeing the car from all sorts of angles, as a reconstructed live view. They're also showing it in a much higher definition than what we see - you know I'd be willing to be we actually have HD cameras, but they decimate the video for some reason - I'd guess safety/CYA. They don't want drivers to be depending solely on the cameras, and so give us a low res view to just indicate what is ahead.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How does this nifty feature work? I can't locate enough camera lenses around the car to make this happen!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There are 4 cameras, one in the front, one in the rear, and one in each of the side mirrors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How does this nifty feature work? I can't locate enough camera lenses around the car to make this happen!
It’s only available on the Premier models. Those of us with the LT don’t get the surround view.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are 4 cameras, one in the front, one in the rear, and one in each of the side mirrors.
Well, it's mind boggling!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I dunno if we have HD cameras. The brains of the system is just an image processor. Say the above Bosch video had 4k cameras along with the processing power to handle 4k video stitching. On our Bolt, let's say we have much cheaper 480p cameras. You could use the same video stitching processor by just adding cheap upscaler to upscale our 480p to 4k (2160p) resolution that the video stitching processor expects.

Heck, maybe we do have the full Bosch hardware in our Bolts but licensing costs artificially limits the features/quality of the system. So if we paid Bosch money, they'd enable the full functionality. Similar to how Tesla locked away battery capacity on 75kWh Model S to make them 60kWh versions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I am assuming all the 4 cameras are stitched together in real time but still hard to understand how it gets so high above the car?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
So I am assuming all the 4 cameras are stitched together in real time but still hard to understand how it gets so high above the car?
This is the reason to only get your Bolt in white so it matches the graphic. I have my Bolt parked under a lift in my shop for the summer and it's obvious the cameras don't look up as the 5000 pound Suburban on the lift doesn't show up. Welcome to the forum,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts