Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went for a drive in a Mach-E(AWD upgraded Battery) today, here are my thoughts:
Not worth 54k plus before fed and state tax incentives. Ha
I thought I’d just jump to the end. Here is a little detail:
-Seats were pretty comfortable, albeit a little harder than I expected them to be.
-The UI is better than the Bolts, but about as responsive.
-It’s quicker. However, a Bolt owner wouldn’t be too impressed.
-Adaptive Cruise control and auto steer was pretty cool. Albeit, slightly glitchy. I had 4 to 5 incidents within my 14 mile test drive where it would cancel and have me take full control. Also, and this is not necessarily a bad thing, it has a very short maybe 10-15 second time gap from when you let go of the wheel and when it will alert you to reapply pressure.
-Frunk was nice, however the lack of external pop control was an oversight.
-Ride quality was on the stiff side, but still comfortable.
-Very controlled road noise.
-Overall the interior seating and build quality as well as the glass roof was very relaxing and comfortable to sit and drive in.
-I found myself reaching for the ROD a lot. I’d miss that moving to any other vehicle.
-Sound quality was pretty good. No complaints at all with the speakers.
-Trunk space was a little on the small end. Especially, with how big the car looks. Larger than the Bolts, however.
— Still, not worth their asking price.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be worth it for the lower non-awd model? $45 + incentives would put it closer with a Bolt
Great question. I’d say, absolutely. I have yet to test drive a 2022 Bolt EUV, but against 2020-2021, the MachE wins. I’m in Colorado where We’d also get an additional $4k. So, $36k ish for the premium RWD, standard battery is a great deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does it offer 1 pedal driving? I love that feature. I test drove an Audi e-tron and was surprised at how light the regen was even in its most aggressive setting. I hear the VW ID.4 will be similar. :(. On the other hand, I test drove a Jaguar I-Pace and loved the way that vehicle drove - will need to wait awhile for the price to be more "affordable". :)

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it offer 1 pedal driving?
I’d say the one pedal driving was on par with the Bolts (without pressing ROD). Which is pretty impressive, considering the MachE is a fair amount heavier.
My wife and I are on the market for another EV to add with our Bolt. Odds are we’ll pick up a model 3 DM.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I went for a drive in a Mach-E(AWD upgraded Battery) today, here are my thoughts:
Not worth 54k plus before fed and state tax incentives. Ha
I thought I’d just jump to the end. Here is a little detail:
-Seats were pretty comfortable, albeit a little harder than I expected them to be.
-The UI is better than the Bolts, but about as responsive.
-It’s quicker. However, a Bolt owner wouldn’t be too impressed.
-Adaptive Cruise control and auto steer was pretty cool. Albeit, slightly glitchy. I had 4 to 5 incidents within my 14 mile test drive where it would cancel and have me take full control. Also, and this is not necessarily a bad thing, it has a very short maybe 10-15 second time gap from when you let go of the wheel and when it will alert you to reapply pressure.
-Frunk was nice, however the lack of external pop control was an oversight.
-Ride quality was on the stiff side, but still comfortable.
-Very controlled road noise.
-Overall the interior seating and build quality as well as the glass roof was very relaxing and comfortable to sit and drive in.
-I found myself reaching for the ROD a lot. I’d miss that moving to any other vehicle.
-Sound quality was pretty good. No complaints at all with the speakers.
-Trunk space was a little on the small end. Especially, with how big the car looks. Larger than the Bolts, however.
— Still, not worth their asking price.
Pretty much the same as my experience test driving. We didn't do a long test drive so I didn't experiment with the auto steer. It is significantly faster than the Bolt, and the one pedal driving is pretty good but like you said, if you miss judge a stopping distance you have to use the brake pedal to modulate stopping instead of using the ROD paddle... I think you would get better at this over time as you learn the braking characteristic of the Mach E one pedal drive.

I would prefer this to a Tesla Y, and in that context the price is fine... but if you are cross shopping a Bolt or a VW ID4 then the price is too high. I would really like to fall in love with the ID4, but I absolutely HATE haptic feedback buttons after dealing with them in the first generation Volt, and it doesn't have one pedal driving down to a stop, it starts to creep at 3 mph... I do like the integrated sun shade for the glass roof and the price compared to the Mach E though.

The current policy from Ford cooperate is that a Mustang Mach E has to remain unsold on the lot until 4 months or 4000 miles. I asked the sales person I got the test drive from and he would NOT comment on any discount on the car when it has 4000 test miles... I found that absurd. I would have no problem getting a test drive car with 4,000 miles... it isn't like an ICE test car that gets revved to red line on a cold start and has some jack hole ruining the clutch because he never drove a manual before :)

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
319 Posts
You got me curios so I test drove one today too and I agree - I was definitely not impressed with the speed. If I could take a msrp swap to one I'd be all over it in an instant. But with premium bolts available at 25k, it's hard to justify at least 10k more for the lowest trim Mach E and less range. I could see it being popular, though, with full federal/state rebates - essentially paying what a lot of us paid originally for a Bolt with the addition of ACC and cargo space.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Caution.... if you are considering buying a demo, make absolutely, positively sure that it hasn't been titled to the dealer, or if it has, knock $7500 off the price because 2nd owner (you) isn't eligible for the tax credit.

Reactions: Elaine R and Nebula

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caution.... if you are considering buying a demo, make absolutely, positively sure that it hasn't been titled to the dealer, or if it has, knock $7500 off the price because 2nd owner (you) isn't eligible for the tax credit.
Good call! Would have never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got me curios so I test drove one today too and I agree -
Yeah, it’s pretty nice. The RWD will be a steal with eh tax incentive. I’ll test drive the Bol EV and EUV as well later this year, I’m sure. However, I’m sure I’d still prefer the Mach-E out of the three, for the price And capabilities.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
I love the Mach-E. It's a great looking EV, and it's got some pep- especially the higher end models.
The interior is also very comfortable. Ford did a great job. But it's out of my price range (at the moment).
I test drove the car back in February. It's a hefty vehicle, and it feels hefty when you drive it. The Bolt is certainly more nimble.
But since the car is so new, and in high demand, Ford dealers are adding mark-ups to the MSRP.
People are also waiting at least 6 months for their online orders.
And Ford's lease for the MME is terrible! You do NOT get the Federal Tax Credit when you lease (not even as a discount/rebate off the MSRP at POS).
The Ford Options plan is also expensive, but at least you get the FTC at tax time (same as if you had bought/financed the car).
In time it will become more affordable and refined, just like the Bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts