Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few posts that mention Mustart on this forum, but I couldn't really find a lot so here's another "what should I buy" thread from a new Bolt owner (going to pick it up this afternoon).

I don't care about anything fancy. No WiFi needed, or scheduling, or anything like that (the Bolt can handle that stuff well enough I believe). I want inexpensive but reliable.
I don't really plan on trying to charge anywhere but at my house, though I suppose you never know.

Mustart 32 amp portable is what I'm thinking about using in my garage. $290. Or perhaps the "updated version" for $340.
I don't see any reason to get the 32 amp Travelmaster for $380. Well, actually maybe I would for $40 over the "updated" portable one for the flexibility of adding different connectors.

So I supposed I have 3 questions;

1) Any general comments on the Mustart brand? old school or updated version?
2) Of the 3 options (old school portable, updated portable, travelmaster), any input? Any reason to get the travelmaster over the portable one?
3) Any reliable inexpensive alternative brand to offer (32 amp charging)?

mustartsolutions . com

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
alternative brand to offer (32 amp charging)?
Does your daily driving routine require the full 32 amp? I've just been using the charge cord that came with the Bolt with an adapter that allows it to work on 240V. But it only runs at 12 amp. Charges about 9-10 miles per hour (your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I expect to commute 90 miles (total) daily. I don't have 240v in the garage (yet) but I definitely need it. For the sub-$400 price I think I'd like the comfort of having full charging capabilities.
But I suppose I could try to get by for 6 months to a year and wait for prices to drop? If they drop.
Winter in Iowa is another factor.

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I expect to commute 90 miles (total) daily. I don't have 240v in the garage (yet) but I definitely need it. For the sub-$400 price I think I'd like the comfort of having full charging capabilities.
But I suppose I could try to get by for 6 months to a year and wait for prices to drop? If they drop.
Winter in Iowa is another factor.
Prices are not going to drop. There's marketing brilliance in taking what is essentially an extension cord with a $20 contactor in it and marketing it as a $300 device. My brain could not compute it. I eventually bought a used Bosch 30A for under $200 in a moving sale. It still isn't permanent installed.

I always suggest not pulling the trigger on the EVSE immediately but to go ahead and install the 240V circuit (at 50A if at all possible) as soon as it is feasible. As XJ12 pointed out the stock OEM EVSE operates at 240V with an adapter. It will recharge 92 miles of range in 8 hours given 4 mi/kWh efficiency. So get the circuit, and the adapter, and test it out and see if it fits your needs.

Most EV drivers of longer range cars point out that full speed charging at home is very rarely needed. That's why I always suggest trying out the EVSE that you've already paid for and see how well it works before buying another one.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a few posts that mention Mustart on this forum, but I couldn't really find a lot so here's another "what should I buy" thread from a new Bolt owner (going to pick it up this afternoon).

I don't care about anything fancy. No WiFi needed, or scheduling, or anything like that (the Bolt can handle that stuff well enough I believe). I want inexpensive but reliable.
I don't really plan on trying to charge anywhere but at my house, though I suppose you never know.

Mustart 32 amp portable is what I'm thinking about using in my garage. $290. Or perhaps the "updated version" for $340.
I don't see any reason to get the 32 amp Travelmaster for $380. Well, actually maybe I would for $40 over the "updated" portable one for the flexibility of adding different connectors.

So I supposed I have 3 questions;

1) Any general comments on the Mustart brand? old school or updated version?
2) Of the 3 options (old school portable, updated portable, travelmaster), any input? Any reason to get the travelmaster over the portable one?
3) Any reliable inexpensive alternative brand to offer (32 amp charging)?

mustartsolutions . com
I've used the MuStart portable. I don't know whether it's the "fancy" but it doesn't have WiFi.
I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That's the one I decided to go with. It was installed in my garage where there's a subpanel already there.
I use the portable MuStart to charge one of my 2019 Bolts. I have two of them. The other one I use the stock charger either on 120V regular outlet at 12 amps OR with a converter, I plug it into the NEMA 14-50 and charge at 12A and 220V speeding up the charging by about 50%.
I have no problems with my setup.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I've used the MuStart portable. I don't know whether it's the "fancy" but it doesn't have WiFi.
I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That's the one I decided to go with. It was installed in my garage where there's a subpanel already there.
I use the portable MuStart to charge one of my 2019 Bolts. I have two of them. The other one I use the stock charger either on 120V regular outlet at 12 amps OR with a converter, I plug it into the NEMA 14-50 and charge at 12A and 220V speeding up the charging by about 50%.
It should speed up the charging by 100%...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the Mustart Travelmaster portable - to my knowledge, it and the Tesla Gen2 UMC are the only portable EVSEs that automatically adjust their current limit based on what plug is attached.

I have 14-50 and 6-20 adapters for it, in addition to the 10-30 plug that is my primary home charging.

Negatives:
1) Not UL listed
2) The 10-30 plug violates the 80% rule slightly by allowing 25A instead of 24 on a 30A outlet

Positives:
Seems to work great so far

·
Registered
517 Posts
Exactly my situation, including the electrician installing the 14-50 outlet. I've been using the MuStart portable 32A for almost a year now and have zero complaints. It just works. At first (like some of the Amazon reviews say) the plug was a bit tight. I got a small tube of dielectric grease and put a tiny amount on the inside of each contact on the cord end, and it's been perfect since. We're talking such a small amount that I used a tiny dot on the end of a toothpick to apply it and spread it around inside each electrical contact.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a tight fit when trying to plug it into the vehicle, but otherwise, no complaints. I haven't gotten to the "dielectric grease" and toothpick application yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just purchased the updated 14-50 Mustart. I guess I got lucky as it does not have the "tight fit" issue. It fits as easily as the OEM charger and the Chargepoint we have at work.

I have a 72 mile RT commute and free charging at work. I do not need to charge at home for most of my daily uses but the Mustart will be great when I go to travel and/or autocross the Bolt and need to start with a full charge. Given our current situation with Covid19 there is also the chance that I will end up working from home for extended periods and not able to access the chargers at work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been using the older Mustart 14-50 as my primary charger since purchasing the car in December, 2018. No issues. It is a tight fit though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, a benefit of COVID-19 seems to be that I'm not commuting anytime soon. Thus the snail charge 12amp 120V is fine. It'll be charged sometime tomorrow. Electrician will be scheduled for later sometime. I feel confident now in the Mustart brand, thank you all for your comments.

I'm leaning towards using the cable that comes with the Bolt at 240V 12Amps and then look around for a $200 deal -- perhaps even used or generic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have the Mustart 240V charger that's rated at 40 amps. Of course, the car doesn't even draw that much, so it's a good choice for us. We've been very satisfied with the unit, no issues to date. Would definitely buy it again if we had it to do over.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not sure if this offer works on EVSE.

Enjoy $50 off with PayPal Credit
Choose PayPal Credit at checkout and use coupon code PAYPALPERKS by 6pm PT or while supplies last.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts