Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been driving and riding electric for over a dozen years. People always look at the "minimum" need then almost always want more later.
The opposite of that is true when someone is buying an Electric Vehicle. They drive 20 miles a day, then Once a year they drive 300 miles to
visit relatives. " I HAVE to have an electric vehicle that does 600 miles on a charge. ". For your 90 mile commute, you will use about 16 to 20 KW
per day. If you plug in for 10 hours at 110 volts, you will replenish roughly half of energy used. If this is 5 days of commuting, you should be able to
" catch up " over the days off. As such, Only standard charger should work. Nothing more needed.
That being said, My recommendation is to get the highest powered EVSE that you can afford to " future proof " your home. My first electric vehicles
were 110 volt. The first mainstream EV I purchased was a 2012 Volt. With the purchase of the Volt, I got a Nissan Level II EVSE that I wired a 14'50
plug on to so that if necessary,I could bring the charger along to charge faster. The Nissan charger was twice as fast as the Volt could use, but today,
it is adequate as a good Level II charger. I have taken it with me a few times but not really a necessity. Most RV campsites have 14'50 outlets so, if
you are in an area with unknown charging capacity, you could always find one of them.Even with the higher speed charger, whenever at home, I
plug my 2020 Bolt in on 110 volt at 8 amps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used the MuStart portable. I don't know whether it's the "fancy" but it doesn't have WiFi.
I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That's the one I decided to go with. It was installed in my garage where there's a subpanel already there.
I use the portable MuStart to charge one of my 2019 Bolts. I have two of them. The other one I use the stock charger either on 120V regular outlet at 12 amps OR with a converter, I plug it into the NEMA 14-50 and charge at 12A and 220V speeding up the charging by about 50%.
I have no problems with my setup.
What years are your Bolts? What mileage do you have on them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
the Mustart charger has been working well for me over the past three months. Plug is a little tight but it was the best I could find.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts