Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
These El'cheapo's just work, IMHO. They come with a warranty. What more do you want? Bells and whistles?

Although this 40A spec may be misleading. The Bolt uses 32A @ 240V max. You never pass 40A thru a 40A circuit continuously. There is an 80% continuous duty rule, hence the 32A rating.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Although this 40A spec may be misleading. The Bolt uses 32A @ 240V max. You never pass 40A thru a 40A circuit continuously. There is an 80% continuous duty rule, hence the 32A rating.
The NEMA 6-50 is a 50 amp plug, so the EVSE is capable of operating at 40 amps. You're correct the Bolt will only operate at 32 amps, but that doesn't mean anything is misleading about this EVSE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone buy one of these? Are you happy with
i bought a Mustart 16 amp model over a year ago. It has worked perfectly since. I realize it is not the same model, but is the same brand just older. As with anything, you can end up with a lemon. It does come with a warranty so you should be ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Mustart 32A on a 50A breaker. Hasn't missed a beat in 1.5 years.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I have a "40A" on order. Yes, I know it won't charge that fast but will at the max for the car. Mine will be on a 50a breaker also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the Mustart 40A version with a NEMA 14-50 plug for 10 months so far. I do most all my Bolt charging with it and I've had no problems.

The case seems to be of good quality and I really like the charging cable since it's surprisingly flexible for such a thick cable. I like that it displays the kwhrs used (but doesn't remember it).

Some possible issues I can think of are:

1. The Mustart J1772 connector is a tight fit when removing it from my Bolt. I have to wiggle it a few times. Inserting it is OK.

2. There is no on/off switch and no auto-off. As I recall, the user manual says not to leave it plugged in when not charging so there may be a potential issue. I turn off the Mustart by switching off the circuit breaker for it which works well in my garage.

3. It does not have UL approval (at least mine doesn't) which may be an issue for some.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Only misstep I see is not providing swappable plugs that allow the unit to plug into different outlets styles. AKA: like the Tesla mobile unit. The plug on that leaves it really only good for staying in one place which may be the intention, but it looks like it could be a mobile unit as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, i agree about the plug. after ordering it with a 6-50 plug, I saw on Plugshare that lots of campgrounds have 220v available but with 14-50 connectors. So, I ordered an adapter to go from one to the other. Just in case I travel and need to charge at a campground.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV. Prev: 2017 Bolt/2012 Volt.
139 Posts
We use the TravelMaster version of this EVSE, which is essentially a 25A version of the same unit but with the ability to switch out different plugs available from the manufacturer. We only have a NEMA 10-30 outlet at home, so the 25A works fine, and we have the NEMA 10-50 plug that it came with for use when visiting family or camping.

Just coming up on a year and it has been rock solid for us so far, both outside in the New England winter or tucked up in the in-law's garage. The display showing energy delivered is a nice feature to have, at least as a half step to a more expensive WiFi-enabled station logged your charging data for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your input.
I had a ChargePoint unit when I had my Volt and it worked fine but it was "overkill" for what I needed. And much more expensive.
I think this one will be fine.

·
Registered
356 Posts
...I think this one will be fine.
I understand.
I am not the 'great communicator'. :rolleyes:
I was just trying to say the basic EVSE's do the job.
That's what I use on my EV's.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
2. There is no on/off switch and no auto-off. As I recall, the user manual says not to leave it plugged in when not charging so there may be a potential issue. I turn off the Mustart by switching off the circuit breaker for it which works well in my garage.
You may want to rethink that procedure. Circuit breakers are not designed to be frequent switching devices and will often fail when used to that end. There are inexpensive manual ON/OFF boxes which are easy to install.

jack vines

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe that leaving it plugged in while in "charging mode", or in "ready to charge" mode (plugged into car), is just fine. What was meant was to not leave it plugged into the outlet if it is not plugged into the car. Also the "thumb" trigger is sort of an off switch. It will stop the current charging session, and turn off the green led on the dash. You can then unplug from the car, then unplug from the wall outlet

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have the previous version of the Mustart 40A charger. Works absolutely great. No bluetooth, no fancy schmancy features. It's sturdy enough, and it just works with no drama. Besides, if I want to know remotely what's going on with my car while it's charging, I just ask the car. No need for a chatty charger. So, it's exactly what I wanted at a great price. I can't ask for more than that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts