Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
OH, I dint know that. I don't think it is marked as such. Good info.
Don't know all the details but 404.11 references 240.83:
Section 240.83(D) requires circuit breakers used as switches for fluorescent lighting circuits be listed and marked as SWD or HID.

So I think you're okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my Mustart 40A unit today.
Good I finished installing the plug this morning.
In reading the material, I see no where it says it has to be unplugged or shut off when finished charging.
So, where did this info come from?
I posted on the first page of this topic that "as I recall" the Mustart manual stated you should power off the charger after it's done charging. I later double checked and found out I was mistaken and it's not in the manual. The info I saw was actually from Mustart's Amazon.com description and comments from Mustart. I gave that corrected info in a later post (near the top of page 2) in this topic.

Anyway, it now looks like it's OK to switch the charger on/off using the circuit breaker (if you want to) which is what I have been doing. I only switch the breaker before plugging the Mustart into the Bolt, or after charging is complete. I don't switch the circuit breaker during charging which is when the Mustart is sending a lot of current to the Bolt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve been using a Mustart for almost a year with no problems.
i do almost all of my charging at home. I will say that the plug going into the 40 amp outlet does get hot while charaging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the 40 amp mustart charger and I have not complains so far, it’s been a year already. The only problem is that you don’t qualify for the DWP rebate on California because it doesn’t have a serial number.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It sounds like the manufacturer got tired of people making Amazon returns due to dead circuitboard, and decided that telling people to disconnect it would save the manufacturer time and money. You probably have far more expensive stuff which includes circuit boards, that you leave plugged in for many hours (*) so I wouldn't worry about it. By the time it dies, you'll probably want the new one with more amps, or wifi, or something.

(*)like your Bolt

·
Registered
724 Posts
Anybody have a sense why they offer a 26A version (vs. 24A)? I imagine in practice it'll work on a 30A circuit but it's exactly kosher.

Actually, I see they have 'TravelMaster' version with replaceable plugs that are supposedly used to set the max current. And there they claim to configure to do 25A off a 30A circuit. So I'm doubly confused.

·
Registered
389 Posts
26A version (vs. 24A)? I imagine in practice it'll work on a 30A circuit but it's exactly kosher.
Kidding, but for 24kwh LEAFs? 26A @240 = 6.24kw. It's not possible to charge a 24kwh battery at 6.24kw for 4 hours, so it's not a "continuous load" :p. I had a 30kwh LEAF, and even that always tapered before 4 hours.

Or you have 100% rated fuses/breakers.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Kidding, but for 24kwh LEAFs? 26A @240 = 6.24kw. It's not possible to charge a 24kwh battery at 6.24kw for 4 hours, so it's not a "continuous load" :p. I had a 30kwh LEAF, and even that always tapered before 4 hours.

I thought continuous loads were rated at 3 hours or more? Am I mistaken?

ga2500ev

·
Registered
724 Posts

Sure, but given that this is almost certainly a limit they set in software, isn't advertising 25A or 26A likely to get them into trouble?

Here's how it played out on amazon (note the final response from the seller):

Question: Will this version work with a 30 amp circuit breaker?

Answer: Running a 26 amp constant load on a 30 amp circuit is a code violation in the US. The circuit breaker must be sized so that the load is no more than 80 of the circuit rating. This product should be derated to 24amps.
By Sam Caplan on January 1, 2021

Yes. I'm using mine on a 30 amp circuit breaker. It's the same outlet I use for my laundry dryer.
-Mark
By Mark Kyle on March 11, 2020

Dear Customer, If you buy a 26Amp product, you can install a 30Amp breaker and use it normally. However, for safety reasons, it is recommended that the breaker should not be used with other electrical appliances.
By OrangeQ USA SELLER on April 17, 2020

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use the older 32A Muststart. Early on I went through a routine of unplugging it after charging but that didn't last long. It's pretty much been plugged in for the last two years. No issues.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts