Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 1/2 years after turning in my 2013 Volt I decided the charging station in my garage needed something to do. So I went to the dealer this morning and hammered out a price on a 2017 Bolt Premier. Take delivery on Monday.

Have to say this car thrills me. Hot hatch or performance car that's drivable in the winter and doesn't attract LEO's. Disappointed the salesman a little since he had been slotting me as a prospective Vette owner but he'll get over it. As much as I tried to oblige him I just don't like Vettes or Camaros enough to shell out the $.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Congrats. Hopefully you've got heavy enough wiring & EVSE to support Bolt's up-to-7.2kw draw as opposed to what was left there from the Volt.

Yeah at this juncture it's better to wait for the mid-engine Vette.
;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. Hopefully you've got heavy enough wiring & EVSE to support Bolt's up-to-7.2kw draw as opposed to what was left there from the Volt.

Yeah at this juncture it's better to wait for the mid-engine Vette.
;)
3.8 kW is what I have. I got the box and installation "free" from Consumers Energy back in 2012. Unfortunately the electrician ran 12 gauge wire so I'm stuck at 240/16 amps till I get the ambition to rewire and shell out for another box. I can live with 3.8 at least for the short term, I won't be emptying the battery every day.

Told salesman call me when there is an e-vette. There's some chatter about that or at least an electric augmented powertrain so it's not a complete pipe-dream.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I 2nd your sentiment on unwanted attention. Its what I loved about my last car. It was fun but silent and unassuming.. and Bolt has just about the max combo of those three qualities.

Camaros or Vettes, at least the fast versions, you can't even really tap into their capabilities under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I too have a serious hankering for an electric Corvette, but this one leaves much to be desired. Like all electric conversions of gas cars, it seriously lacks range. The battery is no where near big enough. 130 miles, that's it. :|

Pretty weak.

The packaging requirements for a BEV and an ICE, or PHEV is very different. Basically battery placement. The BEV needs a lot of battery and unless the platform is designed from the get go to meet these requirements, it will always be a compromise. The battery requirement for a hybrid is much smaller, so it is more compatible with the straight ICE vehicle.

This is why I personally don't hold out much hope for the upcoming mid engine C8 Corvette being offered as a BEV. It's range would be necessarily compromised and likely as poor as the Genovation Corvette. In an era of 200 and even 300+ mile range BEVs, the buyer is likely to say- WTF??!! Chevrolet is smart enough to realize this. I can see a hybrid in the C8, but that's about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts