Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back home from picking up by Bolt, overall I think the car is pretty nice!

Seats:
I do not have a problem with the seat comfort people mentioned in other threads, they feel pretty good to me. I am also not a big guy (5'10" 150 lbs) and not very wide, but for a skinny guy seem ok so far. Tomorrow I am going to spend 8 hours driving it so I will have a better impression of seat comfort after that.

Ride:
In my opinion it rides pretty sporty and feels like a European car to me. Tight handling and very rigid. I like that kind of ride but on the 405 (which is like a washboard in a lot of places) there is a decent amount of bounce in the car. I was surprised with the handling though, I figured it would be more "American" and soft. It reminded me a little of the ride quality of the model X.

Charging:
The dealer only had a charger capable of putting 3kw into the car so as soon as I had enough to get home I unplugged. I live next to a evGO station so when I got home I charged up for 20 min and it's pretty quick. Again taking it on a 8 hour trip tomorrow so I will be charging a few times and really see how it works out but overall it seems workable so far.

Interior:
Everyone says it's cheap and plasticy, and it is, but I think it's the same style as my friends i3. His car is made of recycled soda bottles and because of that it's "eco" but still feels cheap. Overall very roomy and I think it's decent so far.

Performance:
It's raining today so every time I tried to floor it at a stop light the just spun the tires but on the freeway it had decent pep. I think given that it is a $42k EV compared to a $170k Model X the performance is pretty good. More on this as I get a chance to really drive it.

Infotainment:
The drivers display with the range and power being used I think is very intuitive. It's is a little strange that under around 65mph there is a green halo around your speed and above it starts to turn yellow, I guess they want to encourage you to drive slower and use less power. I didn't see if you go fast enough if it goes red but maybe tomorrow I will try to find out. :D I do think there should be a reset for the setting of "power used since last FULL charge. I am not sure how chevy is managing the battery but this really encourages charging to 100% (which is a Tesla no-no) and there is no other way, that I can see, to reset this metric. Being a numbers guy this bugs me.

That's it for now, any questions?

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Infotainment:
The drivers display with the range and power being used I think is very intuitive. It's is a little strange that under around 65mph there is a green halo around your speed and above it starts to turn yellow, I guess they want to encourage you to drive slower and use less power. I didn't see if you go fast enough if it goes red but maybe tomorrow I will try to find out. :D I do think there should be a reset for the setting of "power used since last FULL charge. I am not sure how chevy is managing the battery but this really encourages charging to 100% (which is a Tesla no-no) and there is no other way, that I can see, to reset this metric. Being a numbers guy this bugs me.

That's it for now, any questions?

Yeah that metric is REALLY annoying and also the lack of instantaneous or "From Start" consumption...I'm in a Spark EV.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
oh I am going to try and "charge blog" my trip to san francisco tomorrow in the car. Updating while waiting for the car to charge up.

http://boltev.blogspot.com
Cool! Really looking forward to that! BTW, your first picture really illustrates what I was saying about the challenge of adding either brake fluid, or battery coolant. Fortunately, likely we won't have to do that very often throughout the life of the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool! Really looking forward to that! BTW, your first picture really illustrates what I was saying about the challenge of adding either brake fluid, or battery coolant. Fortunately, likely we won't have to do that very often throughout the life of the car.
Brake fluid I believe is supposed to be changed every 2 years. I'm sure it'll be in the manual or required maintenance of the vehicle. Water accumulates in the fluid and reduces its ability to work properly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made it to my first stop 140mi from when I started. Left with ~180 miles indicated and arrive with 14 miles (80-8% SOC). 43.2 kWh power used, 308 Wh/mi or 3.42mi/kWh. Had a small amount of rain on the grapevine and it's around 45F ambient. I am resisting the urge to heat the car (when driving) so it's like being at your grandma's house. Put a sweater on.

Overall the car is driving fine, cruise control has to be set pretty much at the limit though to save power. Lots of right hand lane driving...

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Made it to my first stop 140mi from when I started. Left with ~180 miles indicated and arrive with 14 miles (80-8% SOC). 43.2 kWh power used, 308 Wh/mi or 3.42mi/kWh. Had a small amount of rain on the grapevine and it's around 45F ambient. I am resisting the urge to heat the car (when driving) so it's like being at your grandma's house. Put a sweater on.

Overall the car is driving fine, cruise control has to be set pretty much at the limit though to save power. Lots of right hand lane driving...
I'm a little slow, set at what limit? The speed limit?

·
Registered
75 Posts
"...this really encourages charging to 100% (which is a Tesla no-no)..."
You probably already know this, but you can set the charge profile to the "90% hilltop reserve" mode to prevent it from "filling up" that last 10% of capacity. Not sure how that affects the "since last charge" display though.

The red speedo ring at 65+ mph makes sense if it's measuring efficiency. I drive a Fiat 500e, which is all electric like the Bolt, and a Ford C-Max Hybrid, which is the same shape as the Bolt (just a little bigger, C segment rather than B segment size). Both take a major hit in range and efficiency above 65 mph...it's the nature of electric drivetrains and potato-shaped cars, respectively.

(You can see how a Bolt...the marriage of a punchy electric drivetrain and a roomy potato shaped car...is right up my alley.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You probably already know this, but you can set the charge profile to the "90% hilltop reserve" mode to prevent it from "filling up" that last 10% of capacity. Not sure how that affects the "since last charge" display though.
I will try the hilltop one time to see if it clears the energy displays. It says since "full charge" so not sure if GM was smart enough to call 90% full if it is actually selected by the user.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad weather forces use of the heat and kills efficiency!!

Temp: ~45F
Speed: 65-70 mph
Wind: None
Cabin heat: On, 71F
Miles: 115.9
Total kWh used: 43.2 (83%-11%)
Efficiency: 372 Wh/mi or 2.69 kWh/mi

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Do you have seat heaters in your Bolt? Or the steering wheel heater? Setting the climate control system to 68 might reduce power consumption for the climate control system.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you have seat heaters in your Bolt? Or the steering wheel heater? Setting the climate control system to 68 might reduce power consumption for the climate control system.
Per his blog, "Being 45F outside and raining the windows quickly started to fog up so I was forced to use the heat in the car to keep everything safe." This same condition is basically the only time I use heat when I drive the Spark EV. You need the heat to keep the windows from fogging. The Spark EV interior volume is so small that it fogs very quickly. The Bolt EV obviously has more volume but it will fog nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Bad weather forces use of the heat and kills efficiency!!
Cold weather kills efficiency. I almost never use the heater in my Spark EV, and the mileage/kWh is much lower now than it was 3 months ago (40-48 degrees, vs. 68-78 degrees).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cold weather kills efficiency. I almost never use the heater in my Spark EV, and the mileage/kWh is much lower now than it was 3 months ago (40-48 degrees, vs. 68-78 degrees).
I'll second that. I was surprised the first winter I had my car. I didn't use the cabin heater but still saw reduced range. I think this straight temperature effect is primarily a combination of battery chemistry being less efficient and higher air density (leading to higher aero drag).

Other factors compound on top of this like increased rolling friction on wet/snowy roads, use of windshield wipers, cabin heat, etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I doubt that wiper use matters significantly, but lower battery temps, snow tires if used (and colder tires even if not) and of course cabin heat all matter. The 24kwh Leaf is good for about 75-80 miles in mild weather with no climate control and mixed speeds when new. That drops to about 45 miles in frigid temps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Spark EV interior volume is so small that it fogs very quickly. The Bolt EV obviously has more volume but it will fog nonetheless.
It fogs up real real quick when it was raining. If i didn't keep it on the whole time it was like driving blind! Since I had to run the climate control anyway to clear the fog, and had adjusted my charging stop, i set the heat to 71 so at least I was a little comfortable.

The next leg the rain stopped so I was able to just use the seat heaters which was much more efficient.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done!
Final leg...
Temp: ~45-50F
Speed: 70 mph
Wind: None
Cabin heat: Off except for 5 minutes to clear the window once, two seat heaters on low
Miles: 134.4
Total kWh used: 40.2 (81%-14%)
Efficiency: 299 Wh/mi or 3.34 kWh/mi
Charging start: 6:29pm, 29mi range, 14% SoC
Charging finish: 7:04pm, 91mi range, 49% SoC (Also includes 2 minutes on the phone with EVgo)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spent a LOT of time in the seat today and overall I think they are pretty comfortable. No pains or pokes!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts