Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally drive in 'L' mode, using regenerative braking to come to a complete stop without using the brakes at all. I usually put the brakes on, just to light up the brake lights, which are not on after the car comes to a complete stop in 'L' mode.

But that changed today. The little steed will no longer come to a complete stop without using the brakes, slowing to a few miles per hour under regenerative braking or simply coasting. Indeed, if I let off the brakes when I am at a complete stop, the car starts to move forward. This is the case in 'D' as well, or if I use the left steering wheel paddle for regenerative braking. Has anyone else experienced this? The car has 760 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I normally drive in 'L' mode, using regenerative braking to come to a complete stop without using the brakes at all. I usually put the brakes on, just to light up the brake lights, which are not on after the car comes to a complete stop in 'L' mode.

But that changed today. The little steed will no longer come to a complete stop without using the brakes, slowing to a few miles per hour under regenerative braking or simply coasting. Indeed, if I let off the brakes when I am at a complete stop, the car starts to move forward. This is the case in 'D' as well, or if I use the left steering wheel paddle for regenerative braking. Has anyone else experienced this? The car has 760 miles on it.
Make sure your seatbelt is on.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I've noticed this behavior too, every time i pull up to a specific atm, the car won't stop in L mode...eh?

·
Registered
989 Posts
^^^^^^^^These are the only two situations that will cause the car to continue to roll in L Mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have experienced the same situation. Yes, my seat belt is clicked. Yes, my butt is in the seat. It's happened a couple of times (my Bolt has about 600 miles on it). When I switched the ignition off, and turned it back on again, the problem stopped both times.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Could you clarify? I am not sure which two situations you are referring to.
I can think of four. Not wearing seatbelt, battery is full, weight shifted off seat, and when I think I'm in L when I'm not.

Think opening door does something too. So that might make five. Maybe three sensors that if one fails could prevent stopping in L.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
For me, my seatbelt is always on, my butt is on the seat, and my door is always closed. Only pulling the lever back once, into D, happens to me often enough that that I am no longer surprised when I don't regen to a stop at the end of our driveway. :)

I also seem to pull out of the garage quite often with the charge door open. I never did this with the gas cap door. I was always very careful to put the cap on, and close the door. I was always horrified at the idea of spilling gas.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have experienced the same situation. Yes, my seat belt is clicked. Yes, my butt is in the seat. It's happened a couple of times (my Bolt has about 600 miles on it). When I switched the ignition off, and turned it back on again, the problem stopped both times.
Software gremlins, usual with .0 software

I could not get my heat on with the auto button, yet manual fan and setting worked fine. As soon as I set it to auto, everything shut off. (no climate power usage either) Looked like it was running, but iut was dead. Shut it off the car. And when I used the car next everything was fine.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Could you clarify? I am not sure which two situations you are referring to.
If the battery is charged to 100% or if the drivers seat belt is not latched.
Someone also stated if you lift off the seat it will trigger the seats occupancy
detection system and turn it off also.

I have not verified this last one. It shouldn't be hard to test and verify it :nerd:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Only pulling the lever back once, into D, happens to me often enough that that I am no longer surprised when I don't regen to a stop at the end of our driveway. :)
It's taken about 3 months but my muscle memory seems to have finally been trained to "double-tap" the shifter every time I want to go into "forward" mode.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My seat belt was on. The battery was fairly full, but not topped off. The misbehavior was apparent in both 'D' and "L' mode, although I almost always drive in 'L' mode. I didn't try power cycling the car (turning it off then turning it back on).

The next morning, the problem went away, and has not recurred. But I am more diligent about putting my foot on the brake when I come to a full stop. This is a good idea in any case, as the brake lights do not come on when the vehicle is at a full stop unless the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
My seat belt was on. The battery was fairly full, but not topped off. The misbehavior was apparent in both 'D' and "L' mode, although I almost always drive in 'L' mode. I didn't try power cycling the car (turning it off then turning it back on).

The next morning, the problem went away, and has not recurred. But I am more diligent about putting my foot on the brake when I come to a full stop. This is a good idea in any case, as the brake lights do not come on when the vehicle is at a full stop unless the brake pedal is depressed.
wondered if it was possible if the battery was really cold. that's another scenario where regen might be limited.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts