Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning! I had my home charger installed yesterday. I ended up going with Mr. Electric after reading many reviews.
Being a “new” technology and all – and overall a new experience for most people, I would like to narrate my experience.

For charger, I chose the Chargepoint 320V, 35 amp, 25’, after reviewing many models out there. What I liked about this top-of-the-line charger was that it uses your home Wi-Fi to communicate with the company’s OS or android’s app. The Chargepoint app, besides allowing you to find charging spots, allows you to view your Charging Activity, schedule the charger to charge at certain times(off-peak hours, etc. – for that it reminds you to turn off the schedule on your vehicle) and sends you reminders to plug in at your hour of choice. We also have a Nest thermostat at home and it links itself to the Nest so it shows up in your Nest Home Report (received monthly via email), so you can keep track of how much energy you’re using every month from the charger alone. I will need more time to see exactly what the report looks like. I still have not received the car which was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I heard from the dealership yesterday that my car got picked up on Monday, January 22 and according to the trucking company from Québec, it takes up to 10 business days to arrive to the dealership in the GTA. (I know, I know… I thought it would take about 2 days max too. Those who live here know it takes 6 hours tops to travel from QC to ON). But I am taking into consideration the many stops and pick-ups the truck is probably making on the way down).

I called Mr. Electric last week. I have to say I was very surprised with their setup and how they handle first customers. First of all, the assistant – and it seems to be only one for that store was amazing. Her name is Susan. She listened to what I had to say, answered all my concerns and explained they charged first “travel for quote” fee of about $89 ($100 with taxes). That amount is refunded afterwards, should you decide to go with this company for the installation, which I was pretty certain I would.

Immediately after paying for a fee and hanging up, I received a reminder email of the appointment with an invoice. Two days later I received another email reconfirming the appointment. This time with a picture of the technician that would visit our home. I thought that was pretty neat and a great touch of insurance as to who would be knocking at our door.

I had a quote done before. I was quoted around $4,000. I thought that was an absurd, especially after reading here people pay around $2,000 tops. And the technician mentioned we would have to fix all the walls and ceilings after all the cutting, etc. The work in my house specifically entailed pulling a wire from the electricity box located in a full finished basement all the way up to the garage located diagonally on the opposite end of the land. The problem was getting the wire there without breaking anything. The route is very zig-zag-ish, and you’d have to sometimes run backwards at a certain point to be able to move forward. Again, I knew it would be expensive, but not $4,000…

There was also the essence of time. The car is arriving earlier than expected so I needed to make sure I had the station to charge it.

Yesterday morning, at 730 am I received another email with the technician’s picture, stating he was on his way and that he should be arriving within the hour. Again, another great touch to customer service.

Technician (Adrian) arrived promptly within the hour. He was very courteous and knowledgeable. He took a look at the charger and contacted his office because there was no CSA seal to approve of it, only the American similar,which means, he could install it but it would never get an approved inspection later on. I called CSA myself and they did not find it in their catalogue which was strange (and worrisome), since in Québec a lot of users use Chargepoint. Finally the officer cleared the charger and guaranteed it was CSA approved in their end for an inspection. Problem one solved. I knew it was not a good start. Then he took a look at my electricity box. No space for more connections. And the only 40 amps available was the one from the hot tub. Luckily, the hot tub was just sitting there. We used a couple of times, it broke and we never used again. That space was free to be used. “You can cut that *****.” I said. I was a bit frustrated. Problem 2 solved. The 3rd and last problem was bringing the cable from point A to point B with minimum destruction.

Again Adrian pulled through by only bringing solutions to every single glitch that appeared.

Long story short: he worked his butt off from 8am to 6pm. The kids and my spouse were entering the house when he finished, which was great: I made my spouse pay for it! Yay!

Adrian was amazing. Although he would bring up the problems he found, he brought up a solution to everything. In the end he just drilled a hole going from the garage straight into the furnace room in the basement. From there, the wires followed a main supporting beam straight into the area where the box was.25ft vs. over 50 ft quoted by the other electrician. And not one wall or ceiling touched. $1,800 dollars later, he had a functioning charger, an electricity box redone and renamed so that it was according to the code and he had a very happy customer (with a grouchy spouse - yeah, I’m paying the money back, not to worry).

So yeah long story to say I highly recommend Mr. Electric.They can be reached at 905-795-9556 or [email protected]

I am not one to refer businesses like this, but I was very impressed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I installed a Aerovironment charger:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSTNTI1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

It cost $636.00 USD. Installation of the outlet for it was part of my solar panel upgrade, and the NEMA 6-50 outlet installation wasn't itemized, but it was around $1,500 USD. The outlet is a solid 50 feet from the electrical service entrance, so it was more expensive to install than in most homes. Here in California, solid metal conduit over single insulated THHN is required for the entire run, which jacks up the cost. I would much prefer Romex, but that's what the inspectors insist on. I installed the charger myself: an easy job.

My understanding is that Aerovironment is the only Chevy approved provider of car chargers. No, it doesn't have WiFi, but the Chevy Bolt does have WiFi access. But I don't use it: I just plug in the power connector and tell my Bolt when to charge through the LCD console. I only need to charge once a week, so this isn't a daily activity for me. It helps that the outside temperature rarely drops below 40 degrees F, so I don't think battery heating or preheating the car is ever required.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Correct me if I am cross-confusing statistics and facts. I think that, in the US, a circuit must be used (continuous) at only 80% of its rated amperage capacity. Therefore, a 40 amp circuit should not be used for more than a 32 amp appliance (EVSE). The Bolt can accept a max of 36 amps, but can you safely (legally) run a 35 amp (continuous) EVSE on a 40 amp circuit in Canada? I have the 30 amp Siemens VersiCharge (on a 40 amp circuit) and I love it. The breaker is 40-amp but the wire is one size larger than required (a short run made the cost increase minimal). It does not have bells and whistles (no WiFi capability/connectivity). I put it in myself for <$100. The installation meets all codes. I am sure yours is fine, but wonder if Canadian Electrical Code is slightly different from the US.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm going to build my own charger with a 30 amp kit from Open EV, I'm collecting the parts needed to install the wire and outlet.

With this charger I have another portability, I can also adjust the charger to work on lower amps if needed.

I'm running a #8 wire to a 6-50 outlet then installing a 40 amp breaker in my heating panel, I have quite a few circuits that are not in use.

Since I only use a 3 breakers out of the 10 that are there, I figure it won't be a strain on the system.

When I'm up and running with the new one, then I can sell the 16 amp cable I bought to charge the car at 240.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have the same basic wiring from the panel to the charger that beeguz has, except I removed the NEMA 6-50 receptacle the installer insisted on, and wired directly to my Aerovironment charger by using Burndy 1PL42 wire connectors. Don't attempt to use wire nuts with this kind of power. I have 8 AWG stranded wire connected to a 40A 240V breaker in the service entrance. The charger is rated for 32 amps. But beeguz should make sure he has a car charger, not just some kind of RV charger. I don't want him to mess up his little Bolt's charging system. While the Bolt does control the charging process, the car chargers do have some protection circuits in them too. There is a heck of a lot of power involved here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Correct me if I am cross-confusing statistics and facts. I think that, in the US, a circuit must be used (continuous) at only 80% of its rated amperage capacity. Therefore, a 40 amp circuit should not be used for more than a 32 amp appliance (EVSE). The Bolt can accept a max of 36 amps, but can you safely (legally) run a 35 amp (continuous) EVSE on a 40 amp circuit in Canada? I have the 30 amp Siemens VersiCharge (on a 40 amp circuit) and I love it. The breaker is 40-amp but the wire is one size larger than required (a short run made the cost increase minimal). It does not have bells and whistles (no WiFi capability/connectivity). I put it in myself for <$100. The installation meets all codes. I am sure yours is fine, but wonder if Canadian Electrical Code is slightly different from the US.
Same 80% rule applies here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 2 FLO EVSEs uses the 6-50 plug and 40A breakers. Honestly, I don’t have a clue about the differences between 6-50 and 14-50 EVSEs are (I guess it’s just the plug type). If I have to change EVSEs for whatever reason that uses 14-50 in the future I’ll just call my electrician. My 100A sub panel is already in the garage so changing plugs (and or wires) if needed should be easier. :)

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2 FLO EVSEs uses the 6-50 plug and 40A breakers. Honestly, I don’t have a clue about the differences between 6-50 and 14-50 EVSEs are (I guess it’s just the plug type). If I have to change EVSEs for whatever reason that uses 14-50 in the future I’ll just call my electrician. My 100A sub panel is already in the garage so changing plugs (and or wires) if needed should be easier. :)
That’s a huge plus. Should I had the panel in the garage it’d have save us a lot of time and money.

Reactions: Goose

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got my nightfall grey last night and I am in love!
I could not even take a picture because there was a huge snow storm going on and this morning the commute took two hours but... not using gas! so I am extremely satisfied. I noticed some people staring at the car as I drove by. Anyway I am glad that now my posts will be about my experience with the car.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I just got my nightfall grey last night and I am in love!
I could not even take a picture because there was a huge snow storm going on and this morning the commute took two hours but... not using gas! so I am extremely satisfied. I noticed some people staring at the car as I drove by. Anyway I am glad that now my posts will be about my experience with the car.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations!
Thank you! And thanks to the forum I was very comfortable with everything, was able to find info I needed within minutes and it made the experience this much pleasurable.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I had the popular Clipper Creek HCS-40 installed, a little under $600 for the EVSE, and $350 to install, including a separate shut-off in the garage, and a nearly 50 foot cable run. My basement is unfinished, so the cable run went pretty quickly, straight through the basement into the garage.

I decided against the plug-in model, as I don’t need portability.

Attachments

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier Cajun Red
11 Posts
I installed a Aerovironment charger:

My understanding is that Aerovironment is the only Chevy approved provider of car chargers. No, it doesn't have WiFi, but the Chevy Bolt does have WiFi access. But I don't use it: I just plug in the power connector and tell my Bolt when to charge through the LCD console. I only need to charge once a week, so this isn't a daily activity for me. It helps that the outside temperature rarely drops below 40 degrees F, so I don't think battery heating or preheating the car is ever required.

I think you were misinformed about Aerovironment units not having the Wi-Fi. I bought a brand new Aerovironment EVSE unit from someone in California that did not need a second one at his home. I paid $499 for it and it has the JuiceNet Wi-Fi built into it. I think these units with Wi-Fi usually sell with a discount at $589.00. I had it hard wired on one of my out buildings using the 50amp service wiring to my hot tub that I no longer use. I had him replace the 50 amp breaker with a 40 amp as recommended by Aerovironment. He charged me $300 for 2 hours work. The heavy wiring was already there so his only parts were the 40amp breaker and 10 feet of plastic conduit. I could have done it myself for just a few bucks but SWMBO insisted that I get an electrician to do the job. It charges at 240 volts and right around 32 amps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I opted for the Chargepoint from Amazon myself. Got the shorter cord as I don't need 25' of cord in my garage and paid an electrician just shy of $500 to put new breaker and wirigin into the wall and mount it for me.

The unit cost $589 on Amazon. This was in the USA

Works great, certainly changed my behavior after running on 110v for the week before I got it installed. Now i can just wait to plug it in until the last trip. 240v is definitely worth the investment.

I asked my dealer what to get and they were non-comittal, so I went with the Chargepoint as I liked the reviews, it's part of a network, and well the aeroview looked like it didn't have wifi. They need to fix their sites. I just wanted data to stare and obses over and chargepoint gave me that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts