Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to sign up for an EVgo plan after I got my Bolt, as even though I wouldn?t be fast charging that often, I still wanted to have an active membership with them to avoid potential headaches down the road.

EVgo has 2 fast charging plans (at least in the MD area) that make sense to Bolt owners: the ?Flex? plan (no monthly fee, $4.95 connection fee per charge session, 20 cents/min. $4.95 initial setup fee) and the ?On the Go? plan (no setup fee, $14.95 monthly subscription fee, no connection fees, 10 cents/min, 12 month agreement required).

I signed up for the Flex plan initially, as I figured that would save me money over the long run. I charged twice the first month I had my EVgo membership at $10.95 a pop ($4.95 connection fee + 30 min * 10 cents). As EVgo does not offer an app to manage billing/charging like Chargepoint does (wtf??), you have to rely on a monthly summary being emailed to you at the end of each month (and hope they didn?t make a mistake?more on that later). My bill for the first month was $21.90. Per kWh, that is......not good.

I then took another look at the On the Go (OTG) plan, and realized that if I charged just twice a month, the OTG plan would actually be cheaper on a monthly basis, since 30 minute charge sessions would only cost $3 ($14.95 + 3 * 2 = $20.95). Once I realized I only had to charge twice a month to save money over the Flex plan, I submitted a request to switch my plan to OTG. I charged twice using the local EVgo station after submitting my plan change request online (and after I received an email saying my account had been successfully updated.

I called up EVgo a couple of days ago to make sure everything was good with my account. I told the CSR that I wanted to confirm my account had been switched to the OTG plan, as I received a confirmation email stating such. The CSR told me that had no record of such a request being received, and that my plan was still on the Flex plan.
I told him I received a confirmation email, but he could not find anything in his systems.

I told him to go ahead and switch my plan to OTG and to make sure it was retroactive to the beginning of the billing month, and he said he could do that. I then asked him if I could be sent a 2nd RFID card, so that I could have a 2nd one for my wife to use. The CSR said that due to limitations with their systems, only 1 card could be linked to an account, and that she would need to open and pay for her own account.
I was like ?OK, forget it then.?

So, to summarize:

The Good:

• station availability (both locations and operational status)
The Bad:

• antiquated systems (no standalone app for real-time charge/billing tracking?? Not even a website?? Nothing but a single end of month summary that doesn't even list how many kWh were dispensed?? What is this, 1995?)
    Pricing if you don't sign up for the OTG plan ($10.95 sessions)
The Ugly ? none yet personally, but I?ve heard horror stories of people having to wait days or even weeks to have a billing issue resolved. That would definitely qualify as ugly.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If that's the kind of customer service they have when you're trying to change your plan, I can't imagine what hurdles you'll have to jump over to cancel the On the Go plan.

Thanks for doing the math so members know the On the Go plan is the better deal for 2 or more charges per month!

·
Banned
350 Posts
The CSR said that due to limitations with their systems, only 1 card could be linked to an account, and that she would need to open and pay for her own account.
More like 1975 than 1995 - that's just primitive.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Don't get me started on why EVgo is evil.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You really, really don't want me to start. Believe me. I have EVgo with a passion.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just read a few reviews and it seems like EVgo's outdated system is one of the main gripes people have with them. Can't see what your usage and charges are online or in an app and they seem to be the more expensive options around. They also have a termination fee I believe.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You really, really don't want me to start. Believe me. I have EVgo with a passion.
I've read the Yelp reviews.....yikes. I hope I never have a billing issue.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/evgo-network-dallas?sort_by=date_desc

btw, I got my most recent billing summary for last month. They did change my account over to the monthly $14.95 plan (by some miracle), but they did not charge me for the 2 30 minute sessions last month which should have totaled $3 each. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Their loss I guess, probably had a bit of trouble keeping track of accounts. Hopefully, they don't do anything to your account.
This would make me double check charging companies online.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Resolving billing issues can be really stressful, a waste of time and a very lengthy process. That being the case it will help a lot if we really do our research and plan ahead. As you can imagine being a company they are more concerned about money coming in than paying us back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've used an EVgo station once, and guess what?

They showed the charge session, but billed me $0.00 for it. (Level 2 charging.) No this wasn't supposed to be a free station.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had my ugly experience. Getting charged about $35 more than I should have. Ugh *rage*
Ok, one email to EVgo pointing out the overcharge, and I had my account credited for the overage within hours.

I really hope EVgo implements their new accounting system soon, because the current one suuuuucks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
At least when it comes to that kind of support they seem to be good, still, too bad we have to go to those lengths. Was it at least an easy and quick process to get through with a rep?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used an Evgo station yesterday. I don't have one of their plans, so I just paid $9.95 using my credit card. I plugged in, then walked into a restaurant to eat since it said it would take 55 min. Soon after, someone came to the station and unplugged my car and plugged his in. I lost my $9.95, and didn't get a charge. His justification for doing this was that "we were almost out of charge". My advice is not to leave your car while charging.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used an Evgo station yesterday. I don't have one of their plans, so I just paid $9.95 using my credit card. I plugged in, then walked into a restaurant to eat since it said it would take 55 min. Soon after, someone came to the station and unplugged my car and plugged his in. I lost my $9.95, and didn't get a charge. His justification for doing this was that "we were almost out of charge". My advice is not to leave your car while charging.
That is majorly effed up. He didn't pay you back the $9.95?

As a way to deal with this, the MyChevrolet app has the option to notify you if your charging is interrupted. You can get it via text message too. This way, you can come out and investigate what happened.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoever that was is a grade A jackass. Was it a Leaf driver? Would be even worse if they had the free charging pass. Some people are complete a-holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in an apartment complex and did the on the go plan, everything has run pretty smoothly with EVgo. Since I don't have a home charger, I knew right away that I would need to fast charge often. My biggest gripe has been about not being able to login on the website or have an app to view my usage and spending. The other thing is that many people here in Orange County (CA) seem to think the EVgo spaces are just spots for EVs to park rather than just to charge and move on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I live in an apartment complex and did the on the go plan, everything has run pretty smoothly with EVgo. Since I don't have a home charger, I knew right away that I would need to fast charge often. My biggest gripe has been about not being able to login on the website or have an app to view my usage and spending. The other thing is that many people here in Orange County (CA) seem to think the EVgo spaces are just spots for EVs to park rather than just to charge and move on.
that reminds me of the ettiquette guide that people have been sharing, it would go a long way if EV charger companies can post something similar at fill up spots

1 - 20 of 27 Posts