Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Bolt owned 8 months:

To help with range anxiety and GOM: I wanted to run a test to see the messages as you get REALLY low on energy. so I let the car get low to the point that the amber display at around 30 miles GOM and 'recharge soon'

Then I drove locally until I had my car showing 18 miles GOM range with no accessories on.

I had a 1.8 mile run and the 18 miles GOM range reduced to a 'reduced propulsion' message 1.4 miles into the drive with a flashing 'low battery' display.

2 questions:

1. 18 miles range on GOM and 1.4 miles I go to 'low battery' indication to 'reduced propulsion power'... at what point does the GOM say: hey I can't calculate, so your almost dead?
2. This may be in the manual (a section I never wanted to read: when you REALLY get low) what is the progression? I know : charge vehicle soon, with amber display, 'low battery' (with no GOM range), to 'reduced propulsion power'... what next a tow? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
1. 18 miles range on GOM and 1.4 miles I go to 'low battery' indication to 'reduced propulsion power'... at what point does the GOM say: hey I can't calculate, so your almost dead?
2. This may be in the manual (a section I never wanted to read: when you REALLY get low) what is the progression? I know : charge vehicle soon, with amber display, 'low battery' (with no GOM range), to 'reduced propulsion power'... what next a tow? :)

Thanks!
GOM will simply display "Low" during driving mode when the displayed SoC is around 5% or less. It's not that it can't calculate the range, but rather it doesn't want you to depend on it until you fully drain the battery. If you turn the car off and then turn the dashboard back on, GOM will tell you its range estimate.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Things turned orange first for me, the GOM.
A mile later, I got; "Charge Vehicle Soon"
Then I got propulsion power is reduced;

20181207_011415.jpg

The same time as the above picture, this is what the useless flow display showed ... (Chevrolet are you listening; What a stupid idiotic display this is .... I expect this on a kids electric car not an adult one)

20181207_011521.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts