Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the Bolt Premier has a cool HD Video option for the rear-view mirror.

I want to like it... I think that it should be really great... I hate it.

OK, maybe this is me acknowledging my age: I have to wear reading glasses, so my "near" vision is a problem. Distance is great and uncorrected.

Looking forward, no problems. Looking in the standard rear-view mirror, no problem. Flipping it to the awesome HD video picture of the rear view via camera... problem.

This requires my focal point to change from distant to near (as you are no longer looking into the reflection, but at a screen - much like a laptop and about the same focal distance)… and it's a nice blur-ish kind of thing.

Damm shame that there is no way to actually adjust the focal point of the camera to overcome my human limitations.

:nerd:

Harrumph. And throw in a "get off my lawn" for good measure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, the focal point is the problem with the video mirror, having to change from far-sight to near-sight. The thing is only useful whenever the standard mirror is blocked with cargo or passengers.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
OK, maybe this is me acknowledging my age: I have to wear reading glasses, so my "near" vision is a problem.
Yep, it's a limitation because you have to focus on the display itself. There's really not much that can be done about it.

It appears a bit blurry to me, but I can deal with it. Every once in quite a while if I want to see a detail (partly because it's a bit blurry and partly because camera images are considerably smaller) I'll flip it so I can look at the direct reflection.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting about the focal point .
I do find that the way it picks up some headlights & running lights (I guess mostly LEDs) as flashing lights catches me off guard sometimes.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I had wondered if this would be a problem for me but actually I’ve done okay with it. Apparently my eyes are (still) good enough that switching focal distances happens quickly and easily. Whether that’ll stay true as my eyes age remains to be seen, of course.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The issue is not the focus plane per say, but the muscle memory built after years of using a mirrored rearview mirror. Your brain is very adaptable, just give the camera rearview mirror a try and for a few days stick to it, your eyes and brain will adapt to the different focus plane and you will not feel the difference after few days.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The trick is to look at something else which is stationary and the same distance, then at the display. I have a hanging parking pass which I look at for <1 second, then shift to the screen. The camera display is immediately in focus and interpretable. Don’t make your eyes try to focus on a blurry, moving image. It may not work for everyone, but it does for me.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The issue is not the focus plane per say, but the muscle memory built after years of using a mirrored rearview mirror. Your brain is very adaptable, just give the camera rearview mirror a try and for a few days stick to it, your eyes and brain will adapt to the different focus plane and you will not feel the difference after few days.
This works only if you don't wear reading glasses. No amount of brain adaption can adjust for poor close focusing ability. In other words, the software can't fix the hardware problem. :eek:

My spouse and I are significantly different heights (12"). She uses the regular mirror. When I get into the car for short trips, I flip the tab to use the video feed, but ignore the video and look through it to see the normal mirror image. On longer trips, I adjust the regular mirror for my height.

When you think about it, you're also looking through the video image (that is gray) when the auto rear view dimming is functioning in low-light conditions. I noticed this right away, because only the active video portion of the mirror is dimmed.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I hate the LCD mirror passionately. I really wanted to love it too. I do not wear glasses. My age starts with a 4.

I'm not sure if its my eye muscles, or how I use the mirror. Or both. Probably both. I'm a Keith Code quick glance addict. So yes the video mirror does not worth a **** for me. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I ***** about it to anybody who will listen to me.

I think the only way to get this to actually work for me is have a 27" monitor that power slides up into position in the trunk.. then I can use my real mirror to look at the LCD screen.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Or just replace the rear window with a huge LCD display!
Or just replace all the windows with LCD displays... then my eye muscles will never have to refocus at a far distance.

That would actually be an interesting experiment.. I have a feeling that the human brain uses focus distance to work out a lot that we do not realize. Flattening everything on the same focal plane probably would not be as safe even if implemented perfectly.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You just need to retrain your brain regarding the new focal point of the LCD mirror. It takes a couple of days, but once your brain learns it... you can flip back and forth without issues.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
You just need to retrain your brain regarding the new focal point of the LCD mirror. It takes a couple of days, but once your brain learns it... you can flip back and forth without issues.
Only works if you don't wear readers. No amount of "brain retraining" will change the fact that an old eye lens is no longer capable of the flexibility necessary to focus on close objects. Perhaps one is simply getting used to seeing the image out of focus, and doesn't notice it any more. Even an out of focus image conveys useful information.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an LT, but if I had a Premier, I'd probably be in the same boat with near/far vision issues. It is a feature. There is nothing that can be done for our human frailties. It's not like they can build a wormhole in your car to adapt to your vision issues. Turn the thing off, use the polarized light-adaptive (and decent) mirror, and move on.

I would think that you would have discovered this problem on your first test drive with it turned on.

And my age begins with a '5' so I am right there with you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm going to use it exclusively for the next week and see how I do.
Today was nice and sunny and it wasn't too difficult to adjust when using it.

I'm also starting to accept the resolution of the surround vision cameras. #loweredexpectations

I love this car!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Only works if you don't wear readers. No amount of "brain retraining" will change the fact that an old eye lens is no longer capable of the flexibility necessary to focus on close objects. Perhaps one is simply getting used to seeing the image out of focus, and doesn't notice it any more. Even an out of focus image conveys useful information.
I agree, my video rear view is always out of focus for my eyes, but its wide angle view is so useful that I virtually never use the regular mirror. It is annoying that I can't focus on the image, but its still a very useful feature.

·
Registered
808 Posts
After passively reading this thread the past few days, finally decided to give it a go yesterday. I was actually in the same boat as the OP in that I just couldn't seem to get used to it and just reverted back to the normal mirror. So for my experience, yesterday was really difficult. I swear I felt a little bit dizzy/nauseated after forcing myself to use it. I never realized that I use the rear mirror so often during driving - force of habit that I guess was just so commonplace for me that it was almost reflexive.

Anyway, on the way to work today it seems like I finally adjusted to it, as others have pointed out would happen eventually. A major advantage I've noted is the vastly improved field of view compared with the normal mirror. Makes passing / shifting lanes easier.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts