Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
How can flickering the light source off and on while the film sits there compensate for the 24 frames per second film rate? Makes no sense.
Because we're discussing whether you can notice the flickering of LED lamps. In the film analogy you brought up the issue isn't the "frame rate", which determines whether or not the motion looks jerky, but rather the "flash rate", which determines whether or not you notice the light going on and off. 24 flashes per second at a 50% duty cycle would be very noticeable, which is why in the film days theater projectors used to flash each frame twice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I’m curious. I have about 1000 miles on my bolt so a newbie... is the rear view camera display multiplexed? I sense a flicker. Maybe it’s at 30hz refresh? Move head side to side rapidly and it is disturbing...

·
Registered
7 Posts
As others have pointed out, the rear-view camera mirror is a blur to folks who wear reading glasses (when not driving). The car makers are trying to switch to camera mirrors all around in an effort to reduce drag. Hopefully there is a way to adjust the images to solve the blur problem. BTW - I NEVER use the camera mirror. Chevy should spend the money on heat pumps for cabin heat.

·
Registered
356 Posts
As others have pointed out, the rear-view camera mirror is a blur to folks who wear reading glasses (when not driving). The car makers are trying to switch to camera mirrors all around in an effort to reduce drag. Hopefully there is a way to adjust the images to solve the blur problem. BTW - I NEVER use the camera mirror. Chevy should spend the money on heat pumps for cabin heat.
If you can't focus on the mirror because of compromised near field vision, how can you see the dashboard display, which is even closer? I wear glasses all the time, for distance vision (6x), and the only issue I had was training my eyes to hit the closer plane of focus.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you can't focus on the mirror because of compromised near field vision, how can you see the dashboard display, which is even closer?
One of the problems for us older folk is that we often use bifocal or progressive lenses that let us see nearby text clearly when we look through the bottom half of our eyeglasses. Works great for the dashboard. But unfortunately, you have to look through the top half of your eyeglasses in order to see the rear view mirror display, and that part of the lenses is optimized for far vision.

I can't completely focus on the rear view mirror display myself, but it's good enough for me to use. I find the wider field of view to be invaluable.

·
Registered
356 Posts
One of the problems for us older folk is that we often use bifocal or progressive lenses that let us see nearby text clearly when we look through the bottom half of our eyeglasses. Works great for the dashboard. But unfortunately, you have to look through the top half of your eyeglasses in order to see the rear view mirror display, and that part of the lenses is optimized for far vision.

I can't completely focus on the rear view mirror display myself, but it's good enough for me to use. I find the wider field of view to be invaluable.
I'm an old as well (the 6x I mentioned in my post), and I understand what you're saying, but the post I was responding to claimed the use of reading glasses when not driving. If you don't have near field correction on at all, then the mirror and the DIC should be similar problem areas.

·
Registered
356 Posts

I'm an old as well (the 6x I mentioned in my post), and I understand what you're saying, but the post I was responding to claimed the use of reading glasses when not driving. If you don't have near field correction on at all, then the mirror and the DIC should be similar problem areas.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts