Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following this forum for a while, but haven't posted yet. I leased a 2014 Volt, and turned it in back in December. I live in Seattle, and needed a new car. The only one I've been able to get excited about for the past year is the Bolt. I put a deposit on one back in October with Wentworth Chevrolet in Portland, and finally picked it up yesterday. After a stay overnight at my in-laws' place in Vancouver, WA, I spent 6 hours slogging home in a snow storm! The Bolt performed admirably the whole way. Not a single issue, EXCEPT: the West Coast Green Highway (westcoastgreenhighway.com) does NOT have compatible DC chargers with the Bolt, and I had to stop an extra time on the way home. Lots of extra juice going to defrost, I suppose. Still, despite the horrible weather, delays, and charging issues, it was a great first ride.

I'd love anyone's advice on the best climate settings from a range standpoint. I suppose just turning the fan down to 1? What about the Auto option for recycling the air in the cabin? Turning everything off completely wasn't an option, due to the windshield fogging up. I found that defrost with fan as low as possible and temp 61 was warm enough, strangely, but still got a poor score from the car on climate control...

Thank you in advance for your advice! So excited about my new Bolt!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm not yet a Bolt owner, so take my comments for what they're worth. But as far as range goes I would think that fan speed is not as important as the temperature setting. You can get a good idea by looking at the power meter (to the right of the speedometer) while the car is stopped and playing with the climate control settings to see what their effect is on power consumption.

Yep, we're getting lots more snow on the wet coast. When you have standing water or slush/snow on the road it takes a lot more energy to plow through and of course that's going to hurt your range.

I'm not sure what you meant by a lack of chargers. I surveyed the charging stations along I-5 on the way back from a vacation in the fall and found plenty of 50KW CCS chargers. The biggest gap is between Woodland in southern Washington and Tacoma Mall. That's about 115 miles, which should be a pretty easy hop in the Bolt even in the snow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Sean. Very good thought about the climate settings. I will see what it looks like in various settings.

I now have PlugShare set up to only show compatible chargers, but didn't know that the Centralia charger was incompatible (except for level 2) until I got there without enough juice to make it home. Lesson learned, and I hope that the network expands a bit, especially off of I-5 itself...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I now have PlugShare set up to only show compatible chargers, but didn't know that the Centralia charger was incompatible (except for level 2) until I got there without enough juice to make it home. Lesson learned, and I hope that the network expands a bit, especially off of I-5 itself...
I've used the "filter by connector type" option in PlugShare to exclude "EV Plug (J1772)" and include "Quick Charge (CCS/SAE Combo)". With those settings it only displays the DC fast chargers and the one in Centralia doesn't show up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts