Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from New York! I'm really excited to join the ranks of EV drivers in general and Bolt in particular, but I am overwhelmed by charging options... I'll check out the Tech section but I hope I can ask questions, because I have a LOT.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome aboard and congratulations. Ask away. Hopefully, we can clear some (not all) of the confusion and shorten your learning curve. I have 6500 miles on my blue Bolt, but still learn something everyday on this Forum. I installed the Siemens Versicharge Level 2 EVSE in the garage and have never regretted the decision. I could not do either all public charging OR 120 volt charging. I have done trips of 426 and 365 miles with good pre-planning and no sweat. I DID download and print portions of the Owners Manual (pdf) and still re-read and re-learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, I did figure that out. My questions are more along the lines of: Since I drive about 5,000 miles a year, is it even worth it to install a level 2 charger; I don't have a garage, so is it better/easier/cheaper to have an electrician add a 240V outlet to the outside of my house and use a longer cord or to install something closer to the driveway; opinions about PlugShare vs. ChargePoint (as in, ChargePoint is better if you live on the West Coast; PlugShare is geared toward Tesla drivers so it isn't as useful; they both suck, use [something else]).

·
Registered
507 Posts
LOL, I did figure that out. My questions are more along the lines of: Since I drive about 5,000 miles a year, is it even worth it to install a level 2 charger; I don't have a garage, so is it better/easier/cheaper to have an electrician add a 240V outlet to the outside of my house and use a longer cord or to install something closer to the driveway; opinions about PlugShare vs. ChargePoint (as in, ChargePoint is better if you live on the West Coast; PlugShare is geared toward Tesla drivers so it isn't as useful; they both suck, use [something else]).
I will come close to 5 k for the year. I think it is worth having a level 2 charger. I charge about once a week, typically when it is down to 10 out of 20 bars, or if I am going some distance in the near future. Level 2 can do a full recharge in about 8 hours, during off-peak electric rates. (11 to 7 in California). Level is just too slow. I would put the plug on the house and use a long cord. Only non-home charger I have used is a free one at the AMC in Emeryville. :nerd:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can't say, you have to figure out your use case. I've got three EVSE's in my house (two inside, one outside), three in the car, and about 20 free ones at work. I like belt and suspenders :nerd:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If you're from NY... you know how cold and nasty it gets here.

With preconditioning you can get into a lovely 72F warm car every morning no matter how cold it is outside by remote starting the Bolt from inside your house.

To use preconditioning without cutting in to your range- you need 240 volt charging.....

Clippercreek makes reasonably priced 240v EVSE units: https://www.clippercreek.com/residential/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Charging away from home

Plugshare and Chargepoint are 2 of the companies out there. There is also Blink, SemaConnect and Greenlots. I prefer Chargepoint because 80% of their charging stations are free to use.

You will want multiple apps mainly because of their maps for charge locations. Plugshare’s map is outstanding, but some of the prices to charge are outrageous.
You will need to plan your route not only for charge locations, but you will need to filter the results so that you get DC Fast charge sites. Each app has that capability.

Since most people charge at home where it is cheap and easy, you’ll really only need the apps for long distance driving.

I use a Clipper Creek level 2 charger at home which is installed outside. They make bullet proof units and mine has worked flawlessly since installed.
https://www.clippercreek.com/residential/

Hope that helps.

Reactions: ChargePoint

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I drive about 5,000 miles a year, is it even worth it to install a level 2 charger; I don't have a garage, so is it better/easier/cheaper to have an electrician add a 240V outlet to the outside of my house and use a longer cord or to install something closer to the driveway
That's about 25 miles/day. I'd say charge once a week on the weekend when you can run the cable to your car. That leaves you with plenty of range each day to commute and run a few errands (200miles / 5 days = 40 miles/day).

Level 2 is nice, but your driving needs don't necessitate it. Heck, if you can just top-off at work (ask if they will let you plugin at work), you'd never need to charge at home.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Plugshare and Chargepoint are 2 of the companies out there. There is also Blink, SemaConnect and Greenlots. I prefer Chargepoint because 80% of their charging stations are free to use.
Just a note: PlugShare is not a supplier of public charging. They merely list available charging stations, regardless of the network provider (ChargePoint, EVGo, Greenlots, etcJ. PlugShare doesn’t set the rates that a network provider charges, they are merely displaying what the going rate is for a particular charging station. For most ChargePoint stations, the rate is set by the property owner, not ChargePoint.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
PlugShare isn’t necessarily geared towards Tesla drivers. It just lists what stations are available in the area, regardless of network provider. You can have the app filter out Tesla destination chargers and Supercharging locations and just have it list CCS or J1772 stations. If you register a profile with them, and specify that you have a Bolt, it will by default only show Bolt compatible stations.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello from New York! I'm really excited to join the ranks of EV drivers in general and Bolt in particular, but I am overwhelmed by charging options... I'll check out the Tech section but I hope I can ask questions, because I have a LOT.
Just yesterday we were driving to-, in- and from Manhattan and I was surprised to have seen no Bolts, Leafs or Teslas (the only Tesla I spotted was on our way up in NJ on I-95). There were many hybrids, even a Prius police car, but no BLT's. The parking garage we left the car in had a few L2's, dangling from the wall, unused.

Perhaps what may happen in NYC and other big cities is thousands of 240V outlets, installed everywhere, so people (carrying portable chargers) can take advantage of an hour or two of opportunistic charging.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

I charge my car in the driveway.
JAL...

Could you tell me where you purchased that particular J1772 Holster?

I've seen it on clippercreek.com, it's $19 which is reasonable.... but $32 additional charge for standard shipping!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all

The electrician who upgraded the electrics 15 years ago (when I redid my kitchen) is coming on Monday. I think I've figured out a few options for places to put the unit but all of this info, including link the the earlier thread, will be super helpful when I'm talking to him and as I figure out which unit to go with.

I'm also going to call my accountant to see if I'd qualify for the NYS rebate (IT-637). I know there's one that's only for businesses, but this looks like it's for individuals.

And re: mileage, that 5,000 a year is more like 50 miles most weeks with a few road trips thrown in. The way I drive, I have about three weeks to figure this out (and in the meanwhile I can go back to the dealer and use a DC Fast charger for free).

Thanks. Glad I found this place!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Although I do have a garage for mine, I will point out that the ChargePoint charger I installed was supplied with a 25 foot charging cord. That may be long enough for you to have the unit installed in (or outside) the house and reach your car in the driveway.

Enjoy your car and the experience of learning all its wonders...I am. Got my yesterday and love it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
JAL...

Could you tell me where you purchased that particular J1772 Holster?

I've seen it on clippercreek.com, it's $19 which is reasonable.... but $32 additional charge for standard shipping!!!!
Rob... It came with my Clipper Creek charger. Amazon sells a shielded holster. Free shipping for Prime members.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts