Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a $1000 deposit on a loaded Silver Bolt Premier on November 3rd at Fremont Chevrolet. I've stopped in a couple times to see if they have one yet and called a few times. Still no luck.

I noticed that Momentum Chevrolet in San Jose had two loaded Arctic Blue premiers on their website, so I sent them a text to see if they were there and if they were available. They said yes come on in. Well the only premier that was actually available was the dark blue. I took a test drive anyway.

First, the driver's seat is fantastic! I'm 6'4" 215lbs. Although, at 10% body fat, nobody would consider me heavy set. The cushions are firm and secure. The seat goes back much farther than my 2011 Leaf. It can also be raised up. I can sit in this car with my hamstrings actually resting on the seat. That was incredibly comfortable! I don't ever remember driving a car where my hamstrings actually touched the front of the seat cushion. There is also enough head room.

With the driver's seat all the way back like that it was pretty difficult to get into the back seat. There was also not enough head room in the back. When I eventually get one of these, I will never sit in the back, so I don't care.

What did bother me was the large area of the windshield blocked out behind/beneath the rear view mirror. This is much larger than the typical mirror in most cars. I get annoyed having to duck to see under the mirror in my Leaf when making a right turn. This is going to be much worse.

According to the red flashing warning light and the audio alarm, I drive too closely to cars in front of me when approaching a traffic signal. I guess I have some driving habits to change.

One pedal driving is going to be wonderful. I didn't use the brake pedal during the entire test drive. I doubt I will ever use the hand operated regen paddle though.

The windshield wiper controls were the exact opposite of my Leaf. I don't think it will take me as long to get used to that as it did to stop stepping on the clutch (rather where the clutch pedal is supposed to be) just before coming to a complete stop. Although with the extremely sensitive brakes in the Leaf, I got the same result sometimes when I didn't step on the clutch.

Overall, I really liked the Bolt. I think they did the electric vehicle things as nice or better than Honda did with the EVPlus I had from 1997 through 2003. As a car, it seemed like a modern, nicer, and larger version of my old 1976 Honda Civic wagon. It brought back nice memories.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I think the thing in front of the mirror contains stuff for the safety packages on the premier trim.
Yeah, the LT with no options has an ordinary mirror there with nothing behind it. Don't get all the bells and whistles and you can have your view back. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The front seats are marginal for me (6', 185 lbs) and my relatively skinny butt. Unfortunately for GM, the uncomfortably narrow seats are likely to be a deal breaker for the majority of Americans that have a wider butt than I do. It makes no sense that GM made the seats about 1" too narrow; the weight increase of wider seats would have been negligible. There is also plenty of room between the seats and doors to allow for wider seats. Other than that, the engineering of the car is brilliant. BTW, I
first posted this message for the "How Many Stars" thread but then thought it would be more appropriate for this thread. If posting the same message under two different threads is against proper forum etiquette, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Perhaps. ;)

Haven't seen anyone mention the rear view mirror problem, but it could be more of a problem for taller drivers. Not much to be done there aside from going for the base trim, a trade-off for those sweet sweet premier upgrades.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Perhaps. ;)

Haven't seen anyone mention the rear view mirror problem, but it could be more of a problem for taller drivers. Not much to be done there aside from going for the base trim, a trade-off for those sweet sweet premier upgrades.
I have the fancy rear view mirror. When it acts like a screen, and you are driving with your eyes focused for distance and you glance up it is quite disconcerting because now your eyes must focus at about 1.5 feet. This doesn't happen in mirror mode because the focus remains at long distance. So if may be useful for backing out, but not on the road, at least for me. The screen view is very clear with lots of resolution.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I have the fancy rear view mirror. When it acts like a screen, and you are driving with your eyes focused for distance and you glance up it is quite disconcerting because now your eyes must focus at about 1.5 feet. This doesn't happen in mirror mode because the focus remains at long distance. So if may be useful for backing out, but not on the road, at least for me. The screen view is very clear with lots of resolution.
I have 0 issues with flipping the mirror between "regular" and "video" mode, even while driving.

Video mode at night is fairly useless though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put a $1000 deposit on a loaded Silver Bolt Premier on November 3rd at Fremont Chevrolet. I've stopped in a couple times to see if they have one yet and called a few times. Still no luck.

I noticed that Momentum Chevrolet in San Jose had two loaded Arctic Blue premiers on their website, so I sent them a text to see if they were there and if they were available. They said yes come on in. Well the only premier that was actually available was the dark blue. I took a test drive anyway.

First, the driver's seat is fantastic! I'm 6'4" 215lbs. Although, at 10% body fat, nobody would consider me heavy set. The cushions are firm and secure. The seat goes back much farther than my 2011 Leaf. It can also be raised up. I can sit in this car with my hamstrings actually resting on the seat. That was incredibly comfortable! I don't ever remember driving a car where my hamstrings actually touched the front of the seat cushion. There is also enough head room.

With the driver's seat all the way back like that it was pretty difficult to get into the back seat. There was also not enough head room in the back. When I eventually get one of these, I will never sit in the back, so I don't care.

What did bother me was the large area of the windshield blocked out behind/beneath the rear view mirror. This is much larger than the typical mirror in most cars. I get annoyed having to duck to see under the mirror in my Leaf when making a right turn. This is going to be much worse.

According to the red flashing warning light and the audio alarm, I drive too closely to cars in front of me when approaching a traffic signal. I guess I have some driving habits to change.

One pedal driving is going to be wonderful. I didn't use the brake pedal during the entire test drive. I doubt I will ever use the hand operated regen paddle though.

The windshield wiper controls were the exact opposite of my Leaf. I don't think it will take me as long to get used to that as it did to stop stepping on the clutch (rather where the clutch pedal is supposed to be) just before coming to a complete stop. Although with the extremely sensitive brakes in the Leaf, I got the same result sometimes when I didn't step on the clutch.

Overall, I really liked the Bolt. I think they did the electric vehicle things as nice or better than Honda did with the EVPlus I had from 1997 through 2003. As a car, it seemed like a modern, nicer, and larger version of my old 1976 Honda Civic wagon. It brought back nice memories.

Ed
As I remember the stuff below the rear view mirror on the windshield of the Premier was a deal-breaker for me. Not so much for making right hand turns but for going around, right circling, freeway entrances/exits.
As to the seats, I am 6'-2", weigh 315 lbs. and am 20" wide at the hips. The seats were an issue for me. ? Too narrow and not padded enough.
After adding a 1-1/2" thick Garden Kneeling Pad (as documented in several videos on the web) between the seats original padding and it's springs the seat works fine for me.
I LOVE my Bolt!
Look Ma, no tailpipe!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Driving yesterday, I again was impressed with the total seat comfort. There is zero problem with seat. I am at loss when considering that I am only citizen that is comfortable
How could this be

·
Registered
50 Posts
Driving yesterday, I again was impressed with the total seat comfort. There is zero problem with seat. I am at loss when considering that I am only citizen that is comfortable
How could this be
Don't be at a loss. Go see your doctor. There is something wrong with the sensations in your butt. That is unless you weigh less than 150 lbs. and have narrow hips??

·
Registered
377 Posts
I find the driver's seat to be fine for around-town driving. But, after a few hours in the seat on a trip, I would like more cushion. I do find the lumbar support to be fine, perhaps because my previous car had none. Leg room is great, but sometimes I'm aware of the smallish size of the foot box. When compared with a Toyota RAV4, the Bolt seating is pretty spartan. I'm 6'2" 185 lbs. The 2021 refresh will address the seats.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I find the driver's seat to be fine for around-town driving. But, after a few hours in the seat on a trip, I would like more cushion. I do find the lumbar support to be fine, perhaps because my previous car had none. Leg room is great, but sometimes I'm aware of the smallish size of the foot box. When compared with a Toyota RAV4, the Bolt seating is pretty spartan. I'm 6'2" 185 lbs. The 2021 refresh will address the seats.
Just move the seat back. There is so much space in the Bolt for the back seat, compared to other cars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Please hold the fat jokes to the end..:ROFLMAO:
Everyone says more cushion. Half of my left leg literally hangs off the seat. Is the seat uncomfortable?.. not for the part of my backside that actually fits on the seat.
Am I fat? Well 6'1, 210, bench 225 and run 7 minute mile and 25 minute 5k.
While I could be wrong, I don't think the small seat, or my fatness is the problem.
I sit toward the left side of the seat to avoid the center console. There is a ton of space from the driver side door to the seat. I think if they had just moved the seat 1/10th of an inch of the center console, the problem would be solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts