Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the Bolt a little over a month ago, I decided to try grabbing more info from the car, specifically the SOC would be nice. Since I Have an old IPad mini sitting around and a few credits in Apple Store, I looked into this route.
Bought a LELink OBD II adapter and bought Engine Link for the IPad.
Works great! For extra credit, I searched for cheap Cup Holder/Tablet holders.
This is what I came up with (picture). I also whipped up a Python Script to take the output csv file and rearrange it for graphing 'running' or 'charging' values.
Someone in Generous Motors management with infinite wisdom must have thought it a good idea to NOT put SOC in the 'Battery Power' display. ???
Already found a couple of interesting behaviors I wasn't expecting.
Very much reminds me what I did at Ford 25(!) years ago working on their boondoggle Ecostar electric delivery van.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LELink: $27.79 (ebay)
Engine Link: $5.99 (apple store)
Cup holder - tablet holder thing: $10.97 (Walmart).
$44.75.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm working on something along these lines, but I (currently) don't care about the in-car display. I'm putting together a Pi Zero w/USB UPS & battery to log OBD2 data; need to figure out how I'll offload the data. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to do that automatically w/o buying unlimited data.

·
Registered
412 Posts
LELink: $27.79 (ebay)
Engine Link: $5.99 (apple store)
Cup holder - tablet holder thing: $10.97 (Walmart).
$44.75.
If you bought the LELink hardware, then you might have wanted to download the "Engine Link LE" app instead, because it is free. The only difference from the paid version ("Engine Link") is that it works only with LELink and not other OBD-II adapters.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After getting the Bolt a little over a month ago, I decided to try grabbing more info from the car, specifically the SOC would be nice. Since I Have an old IPad mini sitting around and a few credits in Apple Store, I looked into this route.
This is what I came up with (picture). I also whipped up a Python Script to take the output csv file and rearrange it for graphing 'running' or 'charging' values.
Someone in Generous Motors management with infinite wisdom must have thought it a good idea to NOT put SOC in the 'Battery Power' display. ???
Very much reminds me what I did at Ford 25(!) years ago working on their boondoggle Ecostar electric delivery van.
So complicated with an iPhone... Android you can port the screen from Torque (the OBDII app) onto the display. No need for other hardware, mounting, etc.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Now that is cool. The display runs Android? I didn't know you could run other apps on the main screen.

My LG G-pad 7" tablet was something like $35 when new like 5 years ago.

ELM237 device maybe $5

Torque Pro- $0-$5

I'm about $45 in for the display I run in a Prius (which I'm selling to make room for an EV).

·
Registered
153 Posts
So nice to see this being used :D

The 2017/2018 models had the estimated present battery capacity PID, but they removed it in 2019 :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
No root needed... EV-MODS posted about this originally. Here's his post on his blog:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
No root needed... EV-MODS posted about this originally. Here's his post on his blog:
Maybe not actually rooting, but being a "developer" is more responsibility than I feel qualified for. And it appears it is specific to Torque Pro, and still won't allow viewing other phone apps on the center screen?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe not actually rooting, but being a "developer" is more responsibility than I feel qualified for. And it appears it is specific to Torque Pro, and still won't allow viewing other phone apps on the center screen?
The process to get Torque Pro is a bit 'involved' and there are give and takes on it as a result. It's still a beta in my opinion, we need a better solution.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nobody said it enabled other app. The OP shows a tablet and mounting setup to display a digital dash... I simply showed it's easier than that and then people asked how. What's the point of then saying it doesn't do things nobody claimed it did?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Nobody said it enabled other app. The OP shows a tablet and mounting setup to display a digital dash... I simply showed it's easier than that and then people asked how. What's the point of then saying it doesn't do things nobody claimed it did?
Sorry. Not knocking your efforts. I am just frustrated that I can't go to the app store on my phone, and download an app that allows me to mirror my phone screen on the Bolt's center screen. Seems like it would be a great product that I would gladly pay $25 for. Not sure if the bottleneck is Google, or GM but I thought we lived in a capitalist society.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sorry. Not knocking your efforts. I am just frustrated that I can't go to the app store on my phone, and download an app that allows me to mirror my phone screen on the Bolt's center screen. Seems like it would be a great product that I would gladly pay $25 for. Not sure if the bottleneck is Google, or GM but I thought we lived in a capitalist society.
The problem is our society, the part of it where people fail to take personal responsibility when they do something idiotic. It's probably not that hard to write an app like that, but Google / GM would probably never allow it because they would get sued out the wazoo whenever any jagoff crashed their car while watching a movie on the Bolt's screen.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1337 miles. Nice.
I hope OP didn't ruin his car by driving it any further than its ideal mileage on the odometer. :p

I'm working on something along these lines, but I (currently) don't care about the in-car display. I'm putting together a Pi Zero w/USB UPS & battery to log OBD2 data; need to figure out how I'll offload the data. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to do that automatically w/o buying unlimited data.
Did you ever make any progress in this? I'm thinking of something similar myself. I think you can get NetworkManager status over dbus and trigger a dump to an FTP server when the Pi associates with your home wifi the moment you park.

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 27625
Thanks for the recommendation. I think that the "Output .csv" file is the log of the PIDs you specified. Please explain. Can i get and use your script to perform this graphing? Where does this script go?

Thanks
Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts