Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....it's not for the Bolt. My BMW dealer is telling me that my order for an i4 that I placed back in March is ready to be submitted to BMW. I'm just a tad bit torn on what to do with this order. The salesman told me that the order would be ready by Jan of 2023 so I figured I'd wait closer to that time before cancelling it. I do like the idea of the i4 as it looks like one of the more conventional looking vehicles out there but with the MSRP of close to $65k, it doesn't provide better range and performance is tepid at best for EVs. I have let a few people know that if they're interested in jumping the line that they can take my order off of my hands as I would prefer something with more utility from my daily driver, but no bites from anyone thus far. If interest rates weren't going so high and I could easily flip it after purchasing it, I would. But with interest rates making it more expensive to buy a vehicle and flip it, I think I'm going to have to let go of the green with cognac interior that I was looking forward to back in March. Some people hate the front end, bit I think it looks ok compared to other EVs... Anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area looking for a little upgrade?

·
Registered
Ordered 23 EUV Prem RedLine, 19 Audi Q7, 08 Mustang GT Vert.
116 Posts
If the BMW dealers are anything similar to the current Ford dealers they will not let someone just step in on your order. Ford dealers salivate when Mach-E orders are cancelled. Mark up city! That is a beautiful buck toothed car though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then this is the wrong forum.
I was actually wondering if anyone was going to try and talk me out of completing my Bolt order and continue with this one, which is why I posted here. I'm still 99% Bolt bound, but the Bolt is still at "not accepted by GM at this time" and the i4 is right at the door. I probably should've been more specific as to why I was posting here.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I was actually wondering if anyone was going to try and talk me out of completing my Bolt order and continue with this one, which is why I posted here. I'm still 99% Bolt bound, but the Bolt is still at "not accepted by GM at this time" and the i4 is right at the door. I probably should've been more specific as to why I was posting here.
Unfortunately I am one of those people who don't care much about what others are going to do with their money. You like it, get it. You have doubts, let it go. I am surely not gonna tell you what to do in this specific situation.

But it looks like a great EV.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I am one of those people who don't care much about what others are going to do with their money. You like it, get it. You have doubts, let it go. I am surely not gonna tell you what to do in this specific situation.

But it looks like a great EV.

For the price, I wish it gave me better range and better performance, but some will argue that it is a BMW and that you're paying for the "name". I think I'd rather have 2 Bolts for roughly the same price, or for a little less, just get something with better utility, range, and similar performance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
.....it's not for the Bolt. My BMW dealer is telling me that my order for an i4 that I placed back in March is ready to be submitted to BMW. I'm just a tad bit torn on what to do with this order. The salesman told me that the order would be ready by Jan of 2023 so I figured I'd wait closer to that time before cancelling it. I do like the idea of the i4 as it looks like one of the more conventional looking vehicles out there but with the MSRP of close to $65k, it doesn't provide better range and performance is tepid at best for EVs. I have let a few people know that if they're interested in jumping the line that they can take my order off of my hands as I would prefer something with more utility from my daily driver, but no bites from anyone thus far. If interest rates weren't going so high and I could easily flip it after purchasing it, I would. But with interest rates making it more expensive to buy a vehicle and flip it, I think I'm going to have to let go of the green with cognac interior that I was looking forward to back in March. Some people hate the front end, bit I think it looks ok compared to other EVs... Anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area looking for a little upgrade?

I test drove one, and at that very dealership. The salesman is very classy. It was a M and really felt much like any high end sports sedan would, quiet, sedate, sumptuous. I punched it on the freeway and that one has head snapping torque. Sales guy was irked but I was curious...really that is way more snap than anyone needs. Anyhow the base model i4 with the HUD and Premium packages is not really much more than a loaded id4 and much nicer, I've nothing bad to say about it. I just don't need 'that much car' either financially or practically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The spec is beautiful on this car I must say, good choice 👍. Now for the bad: The I4 is not a bespoke EV like its iX brethren. It has no benefits of modern EV design, a Frankenstein parts bin stop gap vehicle. Created to appeal to the remaining diehard 3 series purists who haven’t moved on to Tesla. Its production life will be short. If you want to be the red herring at EV meetups get it. If you want a good EV that retains its value don’t. Timing is everything! The demand of this vehicle in 1 month has weakened considerably due to the words of Powell and the pen of Biden.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I test drove one, and at that very dealership. The salesman is very classy. It was a M and really felt much like any high end sports sedan would, quiet, sedate, sumptuous. I punched it on the freeway and that one has head snapping torque. Sales guy was irked but I was curious...really that is way more snap than anyone needs. Anyhow the base model i4 with the HUD and Premium packages is not really much more than a loaded id4 and much nicer, I've nothing bad to say about it. I just don't need 'that much car' either financially or practically.
It's always more than anyone needs, but it's nice to have when it's needed. :D I still have yet to test drive an AWD EV as I can only assume that the instant torque going across 4 tires is even more nuts than it just going across the front tires. When I put in my order for my Blazer EV, I'm getting it configured in RWD as I want the most range possible, and the torque steer of my Leaf is a little annoying.

The spec is beautiful on this car I must say, good choice 👍. Now for the bad: The I4 is not a bespoke EV like its iX brethren. It has no benefits of modern EV design, a Frankenstein parts bin stop gap vehicle. Created to appeal to the remaining diehard 3 series purists who haven’t moved on to Tesla. Its production life will be short. If you want to be the red herring at EV meetups get it. If you want a good EV that retains its value don’t. Timing is everything! The demand of this vehicle in 1 month has weakened considerably due to the words of Powell and the pen of Biden.
The beauty of today's market is I am betting I would have no problem selling it if I decided to get rid of it for close if not more than I paid in a few months. The guy that wound up taking the allocation off my hands (found a taker yesterday) said he would've otherwise waited about 6 months to get his order submitted. The M50, was originally what I was looking at, but I don't like that it loses some range for performance, and with EV charging infrastructure today, I'd rather have the range over the performance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's always more than anyone needs, but it's nice to have when it's needed. :D I still have yet to test drive an AWD EV as I can only assume that the instant torque going across 4 tires is even more nuts than it just going across the front tires. When I put in my order for my Blazer EV, I'm getting it configured in RWD as I want the most range possible, and the torque steer of my Leaf is a little annoying.

The beauty of today's market is I am betting I would have no problem selling it if I decided to get rid of it for close if not more than I paid in a few months. The guy that wound up taking the allocation off my hands (found a taker yesterday) said he would've otherwise waited about 6 months to get his order submitted. The M50, was originally what I was looking at, but I don't like that it loses some range for performance, and with EV charging infrastructure today, I'd rather have the range over the performance.
Today's market is changing weakly, you made the right choice to let it go. There is always vehicles for sale and much better EV's incoming. It isn't a Rivian or Tesla, it has a niche set of buyers. I was parked next to one (dealership vehicle) yesterday at an EV meetup in CT. Not much interest due to the price, no frunk, and cramped interior. My Ioniq 5 was mobbed most of the day.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today's market is changing weakly, you made the right choice to let it go. There is always vehicles for sale and much better EV's incoming. It isn't a Rivian or Tesla, it has a niche set of buyers. I was parked next to one (dealership vehicle) yesterday at an EV meetup in CT. Not much interest due to the price, no frunk, and cramped interior. My Ioniq 5 was mobbed most of the day.
I like the packaging of the Ioniq 5 but am a little more partial to the styling of the EV6. For some reason the Ioniq 5 reminds me too much of the old 80s style VWs. Granted, I think that's why a lot of people really like them.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

I can't say I was a fan of these cars, but they definitely had a following. The interior however, looks much better than a lot of other EVs out there. I just hope that everyone else takes a page from S Korea and brings their A game.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the packaging of the Ioniq 5 but am a little more partial to the styling of the EV6. For some reason the Ioniq 5 reminds me too much of the old 80s style VWs. Granted, I think that's why a lot of people really like them.

View attachment 47457

I can't say I was a fan of these cars, but they definitely had a following. The interior however, looks much better than a lot of other EVs out there. I just hope that everyone else takes a page from S Korea and brings their A game.
E-GMP vehicles hit a lot of bullet points for most people and their needs in an EV and a vehicle in general. Incredibly well made, efficient when needed, fast with AWD, spacious, 800V Charging, EA charging incentives, but the looks is the main draw. Weaknesses is software, dealerships that service ICE/Hybrids/BEV and a DCFC network that's challenging at times. I see VW GTI but also Lancia Delta.

Vehicle Wheel Car Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Car

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 47457

That's one reason I really like the Ioniq 5. The looks of the VW GTI. At least for me, I don't care for the rear end of the EV6. Everything else looks good. But, I wish I could have found a Iconiq 5 without a markup in TX.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
E-GMP vehicles hit a lot of bullet points for most people and their needs in an EV and a vehicle in general. Incredibly well made, efficient when needed, fast with AWD, spacious, 800V Charging, EA charging incentives, but the looks is the main draw. Weaknesses is software, dealerships that service ICE/Hybrids/BEV and a DCFC network that's challenging at times. I see VW GTI but also Lancia Delta.

View attachment 47461
View attachment 47460

lol, at least you can see where Hyundai drew their inspiration. One of the reasons I liked the i4 is how conventional it looked, although someone has already pointed out the buck-tooth look :LOL: . The Blazer EV looks conventional, but a little more advanced, which is why I think I'll be able to hold it for longer. I think EV automakers were trying too hard to copy the Prius styling for some time, but failed to realize that the look of the Prius was distinctive BECAUSE it was an EV, and not distinctive because of the styling. If an EV manufacturer wants to be bold, my suggestion is why not make the front of the car look like a car that doesn't need an engine compartment? I'm actually waiting for an EV that looks like this, and given how the center of gravity of batteries means a higher cab is now possible, who knows... :ROFLMAO:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Sky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts