Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just my opinion with my car...

1. HVAC system terrible (just as other people have found). hate the cold air blowing when heat required, takes a long time

2. car reverts setting to 8amp from 12amp by itself. getting my level 2 charger setup soon. using level 1 at home since owning. have a dedicated circuit in garage for this but car reverts back to 8amp by itself every few charging cycles

3. HID headlights and incandescent turn signals. really GM? LED lights are common on a lot of cars

4. no adaptive cruise control. That is just goofy on a car with this much computer power

5. radio volume on start...

Will update as I put more km’s on it.
I bought this car as personal experiment to see if EV’s are for me. Mostly I enjoy it and I appreciate the minimal footprint while commuting 142km round trip. alternating it with my long time commuter vehicle.

Have friends with Tesla’s, S and 3’s, but didn‘t want to spend that kind of coin.
they have their own issues also

Going to use the Bolt for the ‘better’ winter days, dry and not bitter cold. those days it will be in garage.
I have a very nice sheepskin full seat cover i am putting on it tomorrow (leather seats are ok but not my fave) and will not use seat heater.

thoughts for now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of good points, but I do have to say, even though the headlights aren’t LED, they are very good on my 2020. We also own a Chevy Traverse High Country with LED lights and I have to say while the color temperature is a bit cooler with the LEDs, I feel like the brightness and visibility may actually be better with the HIDs on the Bolt. They are certainly a huge step up from the halogens on the Volt I had before. Some of the missing features on the Bolt would be inexcusable in a car with the listed MSRP, however they are much easier to live with given the massive discounts GM is offering now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I mostly agree with your comments although I thought the headlights were fine. I had a BMW i3 before the Bolt and the heat came on much quicker, although the Bolt's heat is still quicker than an ICE car. You can pre-condition your car so that it will be warm and toasty when you get in. (Best to do this while plugged in so you will draw power from the grid). Also, I found the heated seats and steering wheel got me by until the heat warmed up. Overall though, I find EVs to be better than ICE....instant torque, little to no maintenance, overnight "fill up" at home, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
321 Posts

1. HVAC system terrible (just as other people have found). hate the cold air blowing when heat required, takes a long time

2. car reverts setting to 8amp from 12amp by itself. getting my level 2 charger setup soon. using level 1 at home since owning. have a dedicated circuit in garage for this but car reverts back to 8amp by itself every few charging cycles

3. HID headlights and incandescent turn signals. really GM? LED lights are common on a lot of cars

4. no adaptive cruise control. That is just goofy on a car with this much computer power

I bought this car as personal experiment to see if EV’s are for me. Mostly I enjoy it and I appreciate the minimal footprint while commuting 142km round trip. alternating it with my long time commuter vehicle.

Have friends with Tesla’s, S and 3’s, but didn‘t want to spend that kind of coin.

Going to use the Bolt for the ‘better’ winter days, dry and not bitter cold. those days it will be in garage.
I have a very nice sheepskin full seat cover i am putting on it tomorrow (leather seats are ok but not my fave) and will not use seat heater.

thoughts for now...
Probably the first list I’ve seen like this that didn’t mention the seats.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think most people dislike the seats but for me, they fit me perfectly. In fact, I wouldn't change anything about them except one thing. Every time I get out, I tend to push against the upper shoulder bolster with my left hand when standing up... and that area feels pretty flimsy/crunchy. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
68 Posts
You can set destination charging, that will cure the switch in 12 to 8 amps. Also, you can set the desired volume on the Bolt when the car turns on. I have mine sent to default to 12.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an old hip injury that makes no seat overly comfortable for me, hence the sheepskin I am going to put on the driver’s seat.
Bolt seat is not the most uncomfortable seat I’ve sat in, but not the best either.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did set the destination charging and for some reason it switches back after a few charges.
thanks to people here on the forum and diving harder into manual I have set volume to lowest.
the radio should not come on at all until I turn it on, GM engineer that created that mess should be locked in a room and heavy metal pumped in at 150db for 8 hours (no offence to hm fans...)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
After three-and-a-half-years of ownership, our dislikes are few and the likes are many:

If we had a daily commute in heavy traffic, the lack of a follow-cruise would be a deal-breaker. (But then I'd shoot myself rather than a long daily commute in stop-and-go traffic.)

The HVAC has a few quirks, but the ability to remotely pre-condition the cabin is world's better than any ICE we've we've ever owned. Then, the ability to leave the AC on while the car is parked for short stops is a huge plus.

One-pedal operation is a game-changer. Now, getting back into an ICE is just so century-ago; our ICE has to be put on a trickle charger to keep the battery from going flat.

Four-wheel drive is so easy to add into a BEV, not having that as an option is a big miss.

The Bolt is perfect for daily urban errand running. The Teslas are not; family members have Dual Motor S and M3s, which stickered for 50%-100% more than our Bolt. Love the wild performance, but we wouldn't trade straight across. Teslas are great on the long highway runs, but that's a rare occurrence for us now. Our daily use is multiple urban in-and-outs and the Bolt wins hand's-down.

We'll probably never buy another ICE.

jack vines

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
the radio should not come on at all until I turn it on, GM engineer that created that mess should be locked in a room and heavy metal pumped in at 150db for 8 hours (no offence to hm fans...)
I just turn the radio volume to 0 before exiting the car. It remembers that setting. Just like my old cars when I had to turn the radio off. Only difference, you don't get that detent click.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Got in my old van today and thought something was wrong with the seat. It was so soft that I felt that it was sagging to one side. What's wrong with this thing. I've gotten so used to the Bolt that the old cushy seat feels wrong now.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
321 Posts
Got in my old van today and thought something was wrong with the seat. It was so soft that I felt that it was sagging to one side. What's wrong with this thing. I've gotten so used to the Bolt that the old cushy seat feels wrong now.
I actually don’t mind the Bolt’s seats and don’t even notice them until, like you, I get into a van (my wife’s Pacifica). But otherwise even at 6’ 230, they’ve never really bothered me. What was most surprising about the review is that almost everyone mentions the seats — it’s pretty much low-hanging fruit for everyone to just mention them at this point. :/

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like that the radio remembers where it was set and turns on with the car. That used to be normal behavior back in the pre-computerized era.
I do question the use of HIDs over LEDs. Guessing GM had a surplus, because otherwise I would expect LEDs to be cheaper. I have never driven the Bolt outside of urban areas at night, but I suspect I will find the color temperature annoyingly high when I do. The sooner the blue headlight trend ends, the better. I want incandescent-like 3000 K LEDs on my next car.
The heat is a bit slow, but the PTC heaters in other cars have had issues so maybe there are advantages to the water loop.
The problem with the seats is that they are too narrow and displaced towards the center of the car. There is a huge gap between the seat and the door, but you are shoulder to shoulder with the person in the passenger seat. Should have been 2 inches wider and centered an inch closer to the door.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like that the radio remembers where it was set and turns on with the car. That used to be normal behavior back in the pre-computerized era.
The problem is that it doesn't remember where it was set. If you turned it off, it will come back on the next time you start the car. Combined with the fact that my podcasts are obnoxiously quite (most likely a fault of Apple and not the car) means that there are many mornings that I am greeted by blaring music.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
The Bolt is about 99% right for us. But I do have two complaints that I would like resolved.

1) Our Bolt never delivered the 60 kWh usable that GM strongly implied, if not outright promised.

2) I would greatly appreciate not having to wonder if my Bolt will burst into flames.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The Bolt is about 99% right for us. But I do have two complaints that I would like resolved.

1) Our Bolt never delivered the 60 kWh usable that GM strongly implied, if not outright promised.

2) I would greatly appreciate not having to wonder if my Bolt will burst into flames.
Just asking, when/where did GM imply/promise 60 kWh usable?

Your worry is yours and no one can deny it. As for me and mine, a search of all the tens of millions of ICE vehicles recalled over the history of the program; five Bolt fires makes it one of the safer vehicles one could own. I wonder about it bursting into flames less than never.

jack vines

·
Registered
12 Posts

thoughts for now...

I agree with the last three points you made especially the one about adaptive cruise control. They basically said they didn't feel like putting the code in which drives me crazy. For the problem with it constantly reverting to 8 amp, I think it says in the manual that every 90 days or so it resets to 8 amps. I have no idea why. And for your first point do you have a 2017 or 2018 Bolt? because on the 2019 and 2020 Bolts they changed it so you can pick if you want hot air or cold air and you don't have to let the car decide.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Have not had the car for 90 days yet, still reverts back to 8amp every few times plugged in

·
Registered
12 Posts

Have not had the car for 90 days yet, still reverts back to 8amp every few times plugged in

Interesting. For the climate control I can pick between using the heater or the AC. Since you have a 2019 you should be able to do the same. For the 8 amps problem, it might reset earlier than every 90 days. It might be once a month. Either way I would be annoyed by these problems as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts