Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
GPS has my 'home' set.
this weekend will be running the circuit to my garage for Juicebox I have.
Once overnight (off-peak) charging setup, that problem should disappear

·
Registered
54 Posts
Recently had the recall/service bulletin issue performed. It didn't really apply to me because I had hilltop reserve enabled (primarily because I never run out of range and I hate when I first start driving and regen isn't there - I drive in L mode all the time). Now that I've had the service done, I noticed all my energy settings were reset - Hilltop reserve is gone, my location based charging was disabled, and my charge code remove/theft was re-enabled.

I set them all the way I had it, but the first time I checked, I pulled into my driveway, pulled up the energy settings and it was set to 8 amps. Previously it would have 12 amps pre-selected. I'll need to check a few more times to see if the location based charging remembers my location and 12 amp preference after the recall service was done.

One "shortcut" I enabled is the Energy Summary popup - now when I turn the car off, it pops up and it takes just one tap to see the setting.

Dislikes for me include:
1 - It seems like the distance from the door entry to the seat is greater than other cars - it just feels a little awkward getting in. Should be moved to the door more. Maybe I'm just getting old.
2 - The audio system seems to randomly change source or channels. I'll be listening to Apple Music on CarPlay for awhile, then all of a sudden, it goes to FM. Or from Sirius/XM to FM. I've had the dealer reset it but it still occurs occasionally.
3 - The volume buttons on the steering wheel and the knob do not work consistently. It appears to be problematic the first time I use them after I start the car or within the first 10 min. So odd.
4 - Road noise.
5 - Bumpy ride.

The last two seem to be worse then my 2013 Volt but, again, I could just be getting older and more "sensitive". Overall, I still love the car - looking forward to seeing how it performs in my first winter with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 for my wife that she allows me to drive sometimes. I set the hilltop mode for her's recently and also set the L1 charge to 12 amps per inputs on this site. I made sure to set the home location and that the charging was tied to that home location. It's a little disconcerting that GM won't allow that setting to stick permanently and they think they know better than you and me, and reset it on a (90 day?) schedule. Kind of irritating if you ask me. If I set it, I don't want the car undoing that setting. GM are you listening???

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
If we had a daily commute in heavy traffic, the lack of a follow-cruise would be a deal-breaker. (But then I'd shoot myself rather than a long daily commute in stop-and-go traffic.)
I find that one-pedal driving in "L" mode is very zen-like and, IMHO, more than makes up for the lack of adaptive cruise control. Stop-and-go traffic is a breeze in "L" mode, it's higher freeway speeds where I'd find more use for adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I find that one-pedal driving in "L" mode is very zen-like and, IMHO, more than makes up for the lack of adaptive cruise control. Stop-and-go traffic is a breeze in "L" mode, it's higher freeway speeds where I'd find more use for adaptive cruise control.
I use regular cruise control around town if the traffic isn't too jinky. I just set it to the speed limit and usually I can make it to the next red light with it on. It helps with my energy efficiency. I've never had adaptive cruise. Like to try it sometime.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
2) I would greatly appreciate not having to wonder if my Bolt will burst into flames.
What ratio of fires to owners would allow you to not wonder if your Bolt will burst into flames? I'm assuming 70,000 / 5 is a worrisome ratio for you. If it were 70,000 / 2 would that convey peace of mind?

Providing a remedy to the current known issue can alleviate some concern over fires, but as they say, we don't know what we don't know, and that is the 2nd worst (knowing for certain what isn't so is the worst) kind of ignorance. There will be fires into the future, for various reasons.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
What ratio of fires to owners would allow you to not wonder if your Bolt will burst into flames? I'm assuming 70,000 / 5 is a worrisome ratio for you. If it were 70,000 / 2 would that convey peace of mind?

Providing a remedy to the current known issue can alleviate some concern over fires, but as they say, we don't know what we don't know, and that is the 2nd worst (knowing for certain what isn't so is the worst) kind of ignorance. There will be fires into the future, for various reasons.
I am no more worried now than I ever was, which is hardly at all. I was adding to a wish list, not making nonnegotiable demands. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
29 Posts
One month ownership here...
So far I love everything about the car with very few dislikes.
One thing I dislike very much is ride quality. it is really bad. My other eco box was a 2017 honda civic. <- superb handling and ride quality.
No HD radio and substation. I am in the Austin Tx area and we have some really good HD radio sub stations FM won't pick it up., some HD channel have 3 sub channels... Again the honda civic had tis feature.
This car has some really clunky tail gate and door release.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just my opinion with my car...

1. HVAC system terrible (just as other people have found). hate the cold air blowing when heat required, takes a long time

2. car reverts setting to 8amp from 12amp by itself. getting my level 2 charger setup soon. using level 1 at home since owning. have a dedicated circuit in garage for this but car reverts back to 8amp by itself every few charging cycles

3. HID headlights and incandescent turn signals. really GM? LED lights are common on a lot of cars

4. no adaptive cruise control. That is just goofy on a car with this much computer power

5. radio volume on start...

Will update as I put more km’s on it.
I bought this car as personal experiment to see if EV’s are for me. Mostly I enjoy it and I appreciate the minimal footprint while commuting 142km round trip. alternating it with my long time commuter vehicle.

Have friends with Tesla’s, S and 3’s, but didn‘t want to spend that kind of coin.
they have their own issues also

Going to use the Bolt for the ‘better’ winter days, dry and not bitter cold. those days it will be in garage.
I have a very nice sheepskin full seat cover i am putting on it tomorrow (leather seats are ok but not my fave) and will not use seat heater.

thoughts for now...
I didn’t see this recommendation for the heat.
I just got into the Bolt from s Volt, which has same problem.
Use Defrost instead of auto air vent selection.

I don’t know why, but it heats very quickly and doesn’t blow cold air through the top vents.
After a while, you can put it back on auto.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts