Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2023 Bolt EUV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought EUV Premier on 1/2, just had Qmerit install today. The electrician was assigned quickly, but I had to call to get the actual quote. My panel is in my garage and I have basement access (although they, had to fish the line over a finished bathroom) to get the outlet on a perpendicular wall. It was 25 ft of wire. The electrician also had to drill a new hole down to the basement from the panel.
The great thing is, because I spoke to the owner of the company beforehand, I convinced him to keep it “standard”. He still got paid $1700 from Qmerit and I had no out of pocket.
There were some issues with the work…he had to cut drywall to access, and didn’t do a great job patching it (he admitted it wasn’t his best work), and the installed outlet seems upside down (it’s also only about 18in from the ground).
My advice is to contact the company before they send the quote through Qmerit and request to keep it “standard”. Let them know they can still charge the same amount.

· Registered
14 Posts
What do you mean by "keep it standard"? What do they do if it is not standard? My story is that I used excess cable for a range install and did the drilling and outlet mounting myself. I used a $34 RV outlet from amazon and I bought a breaker from the local hardware store (I think a Siemens 50A). Here is the link to the RV outlet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2J7NZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . The total cost for the electrician to hook the wires up after I had run the cable for him was $275 including the permit, since he was already here to do the electric range.

So I will probably opt for a $500 credit with Electrify America... unless I need to run another EV outlet!

· Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,346 Posts
What do you mean by "keep it standard"? What do they do if it is not standard? My story is that I used excess cable for a range install and did the drilling and outlet mounting myself. I used a $34 RV outlet from amazon and I bought a breaker from the local hardware store (I think a Siemens 50A). Here is the link to the RV outlet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2J7NZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . The total cost for the electrician to hook the wires up after I had run the cable for him was $275 including the permit, since he was already here to do the electric range.

So I will probably opt for a $500 credit with Electrify America... unless I need to run another EV outlet!
He's referring to the limitations that GM places on the QMerit offer. If it's defined as a "standard installation" then GM seems to be covering the full cost, even if it's above $1000 + $250 permitting. Here's a summary that explains and links to GM's definition of a "standard installation":

The main exception in OP's description appears to be, "Wiring runs must be externally mounted and visible to Installer." Cutting holes in drywall and fishing wire over a bathroom doesn't seem to meet that requirement for a "standard installation." Nevertheless, he was able to persuade the electrician / QMerit to define it as a "standard installation" so that GM would cover the full cost, rather than only cover $1000 + $250 permitting.

· Registered
2023 Bolt EUV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If I had the skills, I would have tackled it myself. Also, I don't really have use for the charging credit. My point was to speak with the electrician before they submit the quote. I'm pretty sure they get some sort of a checklist from Qmerit so that once something "Non-standard" comes up (cutting dry wall, switching breakers in the box, drilling, etc), the install is not fully covered anymore. I think that most electricians don't care as long as they are paid for their work. My installer had no problems fishing wire through the basement. They ended up getting paid for their work, I ended up paying zero out of pocket.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,643 Posts
If I had the skills, I would have tackled it myself.
But why would you? If you can get $1700 worth of value on the install then that is far and away better than a $500 charging credit in my book.
I didn't have need for the program because I already had 2 EVSEs in place and took the credit but was a little miffed that they'll pay 3 times the charging credit to install a circuit.
I'm glad you guys got it but it doesn't make any sense to me why both options wouldn't be a bit more equitable.

Reactions: RKTennisGA

· Registered
14 Posts
The main exception in OP's description appears to be, "Wiring runs must be externally mounted and visible to Installer." Cutting holes in drywall and fishing wire over a bathroom doesn't seem to meet that requirement for a "standard installation." Nevertheless, he was able to persuade the electrician / QMerit to define it as a "standard installation" so that GM would cover the full cost, rather than only cover $1000 + $250 permitting.
Thanks, that is more clear to me. Though it is pretty much impossible to install a wire carrying 50 amps without doing some drilling. In my case I am building a garage that will force me to redo what I did and, most likely, add a new breaker to my box. So with the walls open and the garage just 20 feet from the panel, I could still claim the standard install.

· Registered
190 Posts
I'm not sure how one would be able to contact electrician beforehand. I'm my experience, Qmerit seemed to publish new project among their contractors, then one of them would pick up. That contractor would contact me to provide the quote. Then I can accept or reject.
I rejected the first one, since the electrician wanted to expand my current panel, totalling $4400.
Then came the second contractor which quoted $1400, which I accepted.

· Registered
2023 Bolt Premier with sun&sound
100 Posts
Got my L2 outlet installed today by the QMerit selected electrician. They are about an hour drive away, got here at 8:30am, looked things over, had to go get some supplies.
Garage is attached but there is a mudroom in between it and the house, so they ran the wire from the main panel at the front of the basement, to the back of the basement, through a closet at the back of the mudroom into the garage, then along the bottom of the garage wall back towards the front of the garage where I wanted the outlet placed. It was how I envisioned the wire run would go.
Town inspector came out and all was good, electricians were professional and very courteous.

Now have my car set to charge to 40% no matter what, otherwise only at Off Peak (11pm-7am).
Happy to have the L2 charge now here in the NE where the climate currently does use up about 13% of the battery each drive.

Curious whether people leave the charge cord plugged into the outlet all the time or not.

Also if anyone has found a good wall hanger to hang the charge cord on when not in use.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,643 Posts
Curious whether people leave the charge cord plugged into the outlet all the time or not.
For sure...keep it plugged in for battery conditioning outside of charge times.
I only unplug mine when the motorhome is here since it uses the 14-50 while loading up for a trip.

Reactions: jrfk2

· Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,346 Posts
...Curious whether people leave the charge cord plugged into the outlet all the time or not...
If you're talking about the EVSE (charger) going into the wall outlet, yes. Household 240V outlets aren't generally designed to be unplugged and plugged in frequently (how often do you unplug your electric stove or electric clothes dryer?). If the connection loosens too much (think of an old 120V outlet where the plug barely stays in the outlet), that can cause a heat / fire hazard.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
48 Posts
I'm not sure how one would be able to contact electrician beforehand. I'm my experience, Qmerit seemed to publish new project among their contractors, then one of them would pick up. That contractor would contact me to provide the quote. Then I can accept or reject.
I rejected the first one, since the electrician wanted to expand my current panel, totalling $4400.
Then came the second contractor which quoted $1400, which I accepted.
The name and phone number of the electrical contractor was on my Qmerit quote.

Like the OP, I called my prospective contractor to discuss the particulars of my installation. There was room in the “budget” for me to upsize from the specified #6 wire to #4 wire and a 60amp breaker. They also hardwired a 48amp EVSE that I provided.

It never hurts to call and engage the contractor over the phone.

· Registered
28 Posts
If I had the skills, I would have tackled it myself. Also, I don't really have use for the charging credit. My point was to speak with the electrician before they submit the quote. I'm pretty sure they get some sort of a checklist from Qmerit so that once something "Non-standard" comes up (cutting dry wall, switching breakers in the box, drilling, etc), the install is not fully covered anymore. I think that most electricians don't care as long as they are paid for their work. My installer had no problems fishing wire through the basement. They ended up getting paid for their work, I ended up paying zero out of pocket.
Wish I would have presented it this way to the owner of the company that QMerit chose for me as I did have direct messaging with him. It just never occurred to me that I should talk to him about calling this standard; I think he could have made a little more on my install (same wall as panel, but required a sub-panel install). I ended up paying $549 over the $1000 standard install allowance.

· Registered
200 Posts
My experience with Qmerit was extremely positive. Filling out the application was super easy. After getting contacted by the installer, I called Qmerit with questions and got answers real quick.
Approving the installer had an issue, but called Qmerit again and they confirmed that entire install amount is covered and approved the install on my behalf.

Installer showed up a week later and installed (01/06) everything per my requirements. They even took care of my last minute changes. They scheduled the city for inspection and got it inspected today. All good and done!!!

I am sorry your experience with Qmerit was bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts