Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to my dealer this morning to get the final recall fix applied to my 2017 premier. about 40 minutes in the room and the advisor came out.

my bolt has 25k miles on it, the checks they did after updating flagged a number of cells that are out of spec. they have not done a bolt battery cell swap before. advisor was upfront at least and said they do not know how much time it will take to get the cells and do the replacememt. this dealer has done battery repairs on a friends Volt so they are att least familiar with what it takes.

for the next week i have a equinox loaner. if it takes longer then that it sounds like they may need to work out other loaner vehicle options.

boy it felt weird driving a car with zero regen. i have the bolt, my wife has a volt and i have a therapy motorcycle, a goldwing, i’ll take the handling of the goldwing over the equinox any day.

hope they get the bolt dealt with soon. :(

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Have you called GM to see if you can do a MSRP swap (zero dollar trade) to a 2021?

GM concierge
833-382-4389 (EVCHEVY)

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,284 Posts
We should probably keep a running thread w/a list somewhere of people (and their announcement posts) who actually needed replacement sections or packs as a result of the '17 to '19 fire recall. You are probably the first we've heard of or amongst the first.

For those who haven't seen it, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-3618.pdf is the procedure for the recall (but it doesn't cover the how of the replacement itself, which is presumably in the service manual or another bulletin).

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
You are probably the first we've heard of or amongst the first.
Yes. I would love to see the cell voltage delta they came up with. It is hard to imagine a battery with cells more than 0.08 volt below the average voltage. That is truly flaming garbage territory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i haven’t had time to think that deeply about considering broaching a swap.

i’ve been on here since fall off 2019 lurking. my 2017 had sat on the dealer lot for about 18 months before i purchased it.

i took some risk since no way of knowing for sure how it had been charge maintained. have had no issues with it until this.

the pid code that reports available battery i had checked just a c month ago and it was rrporting 55.9kwh.

thst was fairly close to a run it down till shut down i did 3-4 months ago to see what usable i was at.

in the 25k miles i have only run the battery to shut off twice. most of my driving i rarely go under 50% charge.

i’ll follow up, if i don’t forget on how my car progresses

·
Registered
48 Posts
We should probably keep a running thread w/a list somewhere of people (and their announcement posts) who actually needed replacement sections or packs as a result of the '17 to '19 fire recall. You are probably the first we've heard of or amongst the first.

For those who haven't seen it, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-3618.pdf is the procedure for the recall (but it doesn't cover the how of the replacement itself, which is presumably in the service manual or another bulletin).
Thanks for posting the recall information - very helpful! I was wondering what the voltage readouts on my recall service papers were.

So it seems like there are several cell groups, and the sensors report the average voltage of each group (probably too costly/inefficient to have a sensor for each individual cell). If the voltage of any one cell group is too high compared to the minimum voltage of all cell groups, your car has a problem.

I just got my service done about an hour ago, no problems!

My voltages:

HYBRID BATTERY
A VOLTAGE 3.76
B VOLTAGE 3.78

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
So it seems like there are several cell groups, and the sensors report the average voltage of each group (probably too costly/inefficient to have a sensor for each individual cell). If the voltage of any one cell group is too high compared to the minimum voltage of all cell groups, your car has a problem.

I just got my service done about an hour ago, no problems!

My voltages:

HYBRID BATTERY
A VOLTAGE 3.76
B VOLTAGE 3.78
There are actually 96 groups in series, made up of of three cells in parallel, 288 cells in all. All of the 96 cell groups are monitored. In 2017 they considered a maximum to minimum cell group voltage difference of 0.03 volts to be acceptable. They started to have to replace battery sections. They then decided a minimum cell group 0.07 volts below the AVERAGE cell voltage was good enough...a much lower standard.

Then they had cars burn up. They realized they had a much bigger problem than they had thought/hoped. Rather than try to replace the large number of substandard battery sections, they came up with this fix, which allows batteries with a minimum cell group voltage 0.08 (!) volts below the average cell voltage to pass. But they will monitor the cells in real time, using the new software they have added to, hopefully, catch the substandard cells before they catch fire.

So your lowest cell group read 3.76 volts, and your average cell voltage was 3.78 volts, or a 0.02 volt delta. Probably within the original 2017 standard, and probably just fine. And if any of your cells ever do go bad, the software should catch it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did they extend the battery warranty on our recalled Bolts or is still the standard 8 years/100,000 miles warranty?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Have you called GM to see if you can do a MSRP swap (zero dollar trade) to a 2021?

GM concierge
833-382-4389 (EVCHEVY)
Is there a thread somewhere detailing this process because I was not aware that was a possibility (only heard of 3 options / 1. recall. 2. repair if out of spec 3. Buy back based on state lemon law and at the discretion of GM as a customer satisfaction courtesy).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yes. I would love to see the cell voltage delta they came up with. It is hard to imagine a battery with cells more than 0.08 volt below the average voltage. That is truly flaming garbage territory.
Presumably, it is likely to be due to the defect that is the subject of the recall, and causes an increased risk of a flaming event.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Is there a thread somewhere detailing this process because I was not aware that was a possibility (only heard of 3 options / 1. recall. 2. repair if out of spec 3. Buy back based on state lemon law and at the discretion of GM as a customer satisfaction courtesy).

Here's one.

I also ran my numbers based on CA Lemon Law as an example (depreciation = used miles / 120k miles). I would trade in for a 2021 Bolt EV Premier (Costco and other discount/rebates) and get $5K back, even better than MSRP swap! The $23,448 offer seems to be based on the car having 50k miles vs my actual 15k mile. I may go visit the dealership tomorrow to give them some foot traffic and help myself to the free drinks. If they are actually motivated enough to be reasonable, I may drive off with a 2021 Bolt EV tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Zero dollar trade is a misnomer. They require you to pay usage and do not allow any incentives. I was told I’d have to bring almost $10,000 to the table.
Oh, I did not know that. Well, in my case, using the California Lemon Law calculation of 120k lifetime miles, my usage fee for 15k miles should be $4500. Paying $4,500 to upgrade 2 model years with longer range will actually be a steal.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Zero dollar trade is a misnomer. They require you to pay usage and do not allow any incentives. I was told I’d have to bring almost $10,000 to the table.
Just came back from the dealer... not MSRP trade but yes, looks like the dealer wants $10K OTD by limiting the rebates to $13K max. This is another whammy with the outrageous MSRP.

I do like the new rear view with adjustments and the HD backup camera with a few more modes. Definitely not worth paying $10K. Will wait until 2022 for the new tax credit and see if I can be convinced to trade in for the EUV with Super Cruise. :)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,134 Posts

GM concierge
833-382-4389 (EVCHEVY)
Look hard at a straight buyback as well. The difference between a swap and a straight buyback in my case (2017 Premier, 15k miles, in CA) was ~$17k in my favor. I left with a new 2021 Premier, and ~$12k in my pocket.

·
Registered
211 Posts

GM concierge
833-382-4389 (EVCHEVY)
Been there, done that.

The other option is a straight cash deal for your car, you then buy any replacement you want. It should be cheaper than MSRP.

I just did that, and should be saving a few grand selling back my '19 LT, and buying a '21 Bolt Premier or '22 Bolt LT1 from dealer.
Still haven't decided which. About same price. The paperwork should come through before the weekend.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I called, since my car was not part of the recall, no dice. :(

1 - 20 of 72 Posts