Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
5,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
787 Posts
We can never convince "fanboys" that the Chevy Bolt EV is now the best electric car for its price. Seating comfort is subjective, but no other EV for less than $35,000 can compete against it for all its features and capacity. And the BMW i3 , which I have seen next to my car at a stoplight, is much smaller then the Bolt EV but cost much more and has much less range. It just a luxury imported branded toy car.

Just enjoy your Bolt EV and let the "fanboys" stew in their own misery of buying the wrong EV!!

· Premium Member
2,576 Posts
It's one thing to say "I think the i3 looks cooler" or "I like the way the RWD i3 drives better" or even "I like the i3's skinny @ss bicycle tires", but to misrepresent basic facts like acceleration time and rear seat space....maybe he's auditioning for a gig at superblog electrek.

· Registered
585 Posts
Zachary Shahan is a clown. He has no idea how to review cars. For a much more objective and professional review by people who do this for a living, try this comparison of the Bolt, Leaf and Tesla Model 3 Extended Range:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...s-nissan-leaf-sl-vs-tesla-model-3-long-range/

The folks at Motor Trend actually tested some stuff. You can see that a number of Zachary Shahan's claims are 'fake news': utterly false statements. He should stick to reviewing tablets and phones. Too bad Motor Trend didn't include the BMW i3 in this comparison: I suspect they simply didn't consider it to be in the same league.

Motor Trend's latest full road test of the BMW i3:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/i3/2017/2017-bmw-i3-range-extender-first-test-review/

Motor Trend obviously holds some very different opinions. The skid pad and slalom test results tell the story: the BMW i3 does NOT handle any better then the Bolt, and the tires on both cars are the likely culprits. Fortunately, a tire upgrade is easy (and cheap) on the Bolt. The BMW i3? I'm not so sure.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
I decided to respond to an article by Zachary Shahan that I felt misrepresented the Bolt EV. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I am getting tired of EV "advocates" and "authorities" misrepresenting the Bolt EV on a regular basis.

https://youtu.be/1mFgx6U67d8

Original article I am responding to (judge for yourselves): https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/14/bmw-i3-vs-chevy-bolt-vs-nissan-leaf-comparison-review/
I added some replies to the article discussion. Given the author’s ignorance of how the Bolt drives and performs I really doubt he spent any time driving one, despite his claim otherwise.

I drove an i3 a couple of years ago, the BEV model without the range extender scooter engine. I had it for a weekend in early spring, and i maxed out the range at 58 miles. It also had a really poor ride, stiff and darty on the highway, and not at all like the great handling I was used to in other BMWs. It also stickered for around $50k.
Credit to BMW for offering an EV, but it’s just not competitive in 2018. If all someone needs is a cute commuter car I hear they’re going cheap, which doesn’t surprise me considering the poor overall performance.

· Registered
388 Posts
If I spent $60K+ for an electric car and I was able to get the same range out of a $35K Chevy I would take the Chevy.

If I bought the $60+ car I would have to try to justify spending what I paid, by bashing the other car.

I like my Bolt could I have afforded the model 3, yes if I really wanted one, but why would I spend the extra money.

· Registered
612 Posts
Glancing through Shahan's article, his 'observations' are what he was told by the salesman during a brief test drive. Then he compared those brief impressions against the i3 that he is familiar with. That isn't a valid review of the Bolt.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
We can never convince "fanboys" that the Chevy Bolt EV is now the best electric car for its price. Seating comfort is subjective, but no other EV for less than $35,000 can compete against it for all its features and capacity. And the BMW i3 , which I have seen next to my car at a stoplight, is much smaller then the Bolt EV but cost much more and has much less range. It just a luxury imported branded toy car.

Just enjoy your Bolt EV and let the "fanboys" stew in their own misery of buying the wrong EV!!
If you don’t want to read the article the OP posted here’s a summary:

“I own a BMW i3 and it’s the best EV because I own a BMW i3.”

Top fake news:

i3 is faster

i3 is roomier

Bolt regen won’t bring Bolt to a complete stop.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Glancing through Shahan's article, his 'observations' are what he was told by the salesman during a brief test drive. Then he compared those brief impressions against the i3 that he is familiar with. That isn't a valid review of the Bolt.
It’s just a very poorly researched and written article.

I hear that many authors of online website articles don’t get paid.

$0 sounds about right for this one.

· Registered
8,885 Posts
I decided to respond to an article by Zachary Shahan...
I recommend you remove links to cleantecknica because it's flooded with garbage from Zach. Don't waste your time replying because any comments other than those that support his unfounded or plain incorrect opinions will be deleted. Certainly don't waste your time reading anything by him or his zealots.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
I recommend you remove links to cleantecknica because it's flooded with garbage from Zach. Don't waste your time replying because any comments other than those that support his unfounded or plain incorrect opinions will be deleted. Certainly don't waste your time reading anything by him or his zealots.
At first I thought that Zachary Shahan was just a contributor to CleanTechnica, but he’s the director and chief editor.

Good grief!

He insists that the i3 is faster than the Bolt because it “feels” faster.

When I’m out cruising on my bicycle and a paceline group breezes past me it’s reassuring to know that it didn’t really happen because my bike “feels” faster. Much faster, in fact. I’m also better looking than those guys.

· Registered
14 Posts
It's interesting to see how much the EV community trashes the Bolt EV. Car reviewers and magazines like Alex on Autos, Doug DeMuro, Motor Trend, Edmunds, etc have given good reviews to the Bolt EV and have said mostly positive aspects of the car. Edmunds did prefer the Leaf over the Bolt EV, but they did a professional review of the car. They also preferred the Leaf over the Model 3.

I watched a Bjørn Nyland livestream the day after his Ioniq vs Ampera-e race. Someone commented on the chat that the Bolt EV is a compliance car and Bjørn agreed. He then said that the most he drives the Bolt EV, the least he likes it. I actually think that the Ioniq is more of a compliance car since it is only available in California. I asked him once if he prefers a 2013 MS 85 with 73k miles for $45k over a new Bolt EV. His response was that you get more car with the classic MS. True the MS has more features and such, I totally agree with that. But just because the Bolt EV does not have ACC and not so good seats, does not mean is a bad car.

Do I think the Bolt EV's interior and DCFC charging speeds should be better? Yes, I do and most of us share that same thought. However, GM is selling an affordable long range EV in all states and overseas (yes GM should do better with the overseas supply) before any other automaker. I think the EV community should credit them more for that.

· Registered
929 Posts
He doesn't even know if he used L or not.

I'm sure the i3 is an excellent car, but this guy has zero credibility as a car reviewer.

Also..the Bolt drives like its a on a mushy cloud? Since when? I WISH it did.. but its for sure more kart than cloud.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
He doesn't even know if he used L or not.

I'm sure the i3 is an excellent car, but this guy has zero credibility as a car reviewer.

Also..the Bolt drives like its a on a mushy cloud? Since when? I WISH it did.. but its for sure more kart than cloud.
The only mushy cloud is between Zach’s ears.

· Registered
158 Posts
While researching EVs earlier this year, I visited cleantechnica, and posted beneath a pro-Tesla article, why I was leaning towards a bolt. I returned a day later, and my comments had been deleted. I haven't been back since as I have no interest in helping support their click income.

I take the mods to be extremists who only allow thoughts that they agree with to appear on their site. I personally find sites that don't allow debate and a diversity of ideas to be boring and to feel a bit artificial.

· Registered
8,885 Posts
While researching EVs earlier this year, I visited cleantechnica, and posted beneath a pro-Tesla article, why I was leaning towards a bolt. I returned a day later, and my comments had been deleted. I haven't been back since as I have no interest in helping support their click income.

I take the mods to be extremists who only allow thoughts that they agree with to appear on their site. I personally find sites that don't allow debate and a diversity of ideas to be boring and to feel a bit artificial.
Which is exactly why I'm on this site and not that pathetic excuse for clean technology news. There is no attempt at presenting facts, being objective, or even allowing others to ask serious questions. I'm all for Zach's freedom to run his website any way he wishes; I just want to see it fail along with any other fake news outlets. That isn't to say he doesn't stumble upon something factual from time to time, just that there is huge potential for people who are really looking to learn to get a bunch of bogus "facts" that he invents from thin air.

The reason I encourage people not to visit the site is so that the clicks don't generate revenue for it. Sites like that have potential to do as much damage to the cause of adopting clean technology as websites funded by big oil attempting to deny the impact of burning fossil fuels. I sometimes wonder if he's a double-agent for Big Oil, making a mockery of science and technology by producing the worst content possible under the guise of environmentalism.

· Registered
585 Posts
More fake news:

i3 is quicker. In fact, it takes 0.7 seconds longer to get to 60 mph.

i3 handles better. It took longer to get through the figure eight than the Bolt, and at lower cornering force. It's lateral acceleration on the skid pad is slightly lower too: 0.75 G's versus 0.78 G's

At least Shahan didn't make any claims about styling. I think he knew he couldn't win that argument.

· Registered
4,589 Posts
Trying to generate income via blogging is all about the clicks. Make outrageous statements. Report incorrect data. Provoke those who know better. It's all about "there's no such thing as bad publicity as long as they spell the name correctly; i.e. click on the site." Those who do this sort of non-reporting are often just cheap whores trying to make an easy buck. Since any given post/review/blog/youtube usually only generates peanuts, it's all about volume and seldom-to-never about accuracy and balance. They're the National Inquirer of the digital age; the more outrageous the headline, the more likely the great unwashed are to click in.

jack vines

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.