Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my dealer to let me have an extended test drive till Monday afternoon. I had a stick with me at the dealer and all it was showing was album art and the button in the source menu would not activate for either USB port.I also tried another one from my other Volt after I got home and the same thing it thinks it is a video file. Has any one had this issue and is there a fix for it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some body has to able to help with this. I read the manual and reformatted stick and reloaded the music and still only showing album art files.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are coming from my CD Itunes collection I think I saw MP4 But can't figure out how to convert to ACC.

·
Registered
139 Posts
They are coming from my CD Itunes collection I think I saw MP4 But can't figure out how to convert to ACC.
Apple typically encodes music in AAC with an MPEG-4 wrapper. Unless you ripped them from CDs some time ago, in which case they could be some other format. Anyways, the user manual lists support for almost any file format it would be in. I doubt that's the problem. Could be the formatting of the stick, or the folder structure somehow? I have never tried a USB stick in the car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apple typically encodes music in AAC with an MPEG-4 wrapper. Unless you ripped them from CDs some time ago, in which case they could be some other format. Anyways, the user manual lists support for almost any file format it would be in. I doubt that's the problem. Could be the formatting of the stick, or the folder structure somehow? I have never tried a USB stick in the car.
Maybe that is why the convert to ACC in itunes is grayed out. I did rip them about 5 years ago. When I complained to the dealer they took me to another Bolt and also did not read properly. Then we went to a Volt and it worked fine just like it did in both of my Volts. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You really need to go back to basics for troubleshooting...

Format a USB flash drive in FAT32 format.
Drop a single mp3 file in the root of the flash drive.
Plug it into the Bolt then power up the infotainment system.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is formatted right and my files say mp4 and the owners man. says that should work. I also noticed that it should play windows media player files so I changed all the files to that and still nothing.

·
Registered
2017 (12/2016 build) Bolt premier
246 Posts
You really need to go back to basics for troubleshooting...

Format a USB flash drive in FAT32 format.
Drop a single mp3 file in the root of the flash drive.
Plug it into the Bolt then power up the infotainment system.
You really need to do this.

It is formatted right and my files say mp4 and the owners man. says that should work. I also noticed that it should play windows media player files so I changed all the files to that and still nothing.
Saying that it should work will not help you figure out what you need to do to get it to work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You really need to do this.

Saying that it should work will not help you figure out what you need to do to get it to work.
I did everything NY-Rob said to.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
^ you plugged the FAT32 USB flash drive with a mp3 file on it into one of the USB ports behind the shifter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got my bolt 2 days ago during the 4th of July holiday.

Was playing around with photos and files. MP3 plays well but my M4A files do not play.
This is fine for me as I have a converter that converts all my M4A to my MP3.

As for movies, they play all music video and movies that are less than bluray.
Bluray quality for example 1920 x YYY will not play however any movies 1280 x YYY plays well.

It took me a few trys to learn about this.

Now I got my photo slides working , my music videos playing and my movies playing.

The only issue are my Bluray movies now.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The issue seems to be that the Infotainment system won't play back M4A/AAC format files, despite the manual claiming that it can play back those types of recordings. I've plugged in a memory stick that had MP3 files as well as M4A/AAC files, and only the MP3 files showed up in the list of available songs. Memory stick didn't have any sort of fancy directory structure. Just files at the root level.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The issue seems to be that the Infotainment system won't play back M4A/AAC format files, despite the manual claiming that it can play back those types of recordings. I've plugged in a memory stick that had MP3 files as well as M4A/AAC files, and only the MP3 files showed up in the list of available songs. Memory stick didn't have any sort of fancy directory structure. Just files at the root level.

Thanks for every ones help, I am converting my ITunes to mp3 now. I will let all know if that works.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
^ if you want a quick test....

- Bring up any music video on youtube- copy the url in the address bar.
- Paste the url link to that video into the following site... it will convert it to a very standard mp3 file:
http://convert2mp3.net/en/index.php
- Put that mp3 onto your flash drive and test it in the Bolt.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I got my bolt 2 days ago during the 4th of July holiday.

Was playing around with photos and files. MP3 plays well but my M4A files do not play.
This is fine for me as I have a converter that converts all my M4A to my MP3.

As for movies, they play all music video and movies that are less than bluray.
Bluray quality for example 1920 x YYY will not play however any movies 1280 x YYY plays well.

It took me a few trys to learn about this.

Now I got my photo slides working , my music videos playing and my movies playing.

The only issue are my Bluray movies now.
You're probably already aware of this, but you can downrez/resample your video files using Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got all 3400 songs converted over and thanks again to all it works great now and took up a lot less space on my drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts