Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just tried that simulator. My app does nothing when I click Charge Status. One time, and that one time only, it opened the charge details. But never since. And the info box always says "See vehicle for status", and never shows if it's charging and the completion time. It does update with the charge % and miles of range, so it's talking to the car. Just not giving me that access.
Uninstall/reinstall? After that, I got nothing for you.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
297 Posts
The only actual thing I've ever used the app for was the owners manual. That's convenient to have available and searchable. The rest was kind of meh and I never got any real use out of it. My OnStar free trial ends next month, and I don't think I will start paying to keep it. Bought the car used, so I don't get any of the 5-year stuff. Use Google and Plugshare when on trips anyway.

As for wifi, afaict that is only for infotainment updates, and amusingly it's only connected when the car is on - which of course it usually isn't when parked at home. I did set up the connection, but it only seems to work when I manually check for updates. And if it's off when the car's off, then of course it won't work for any app connection even if from a software standpoint it's possible.

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
ARob… After my OnStar demo ended, I did not pay to continue it. But I did dig into the settings from the infotainment screen in the car, and connected the car to my house WiFi. Maybe if you do that, the app will be able to see your car, at least when you are at home?
It is setup to connect to my house wifi, and signal is 4-5 bars. It worked great with the 5 year EV Remote (free) package until just before the major app update. Since the update, it works 10% of the time, at best.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
33 Posts
All of my controls are gone too. 2020 Bolt and iPhone 13Pro with iOS15. Noticed they were missing yesterday.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV 2LT Ghost Gray
38 Posts
The removal of the "remote key" functions is a crappy way to 'convince' customers to sign up for the OnStar subscription services. It was a very rude surprise to find that change after I traded up to my 2022.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT
6 Posts
I’ve got a ’22. When OnStar expired, it went to the same screen you get—basically just % charge, whether it’s charging and completion time (although that failed last night), and odometer reading, plus a bunch of useless junk. The % charge is all I really care about, and I’m certainly not going to pay for OnStar, so good enough. I supposedly get that for 10 years. The app is definitely not up to the standards of the car, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve got a ’22. When OnStar expired, it went to the same screen you get—basically just % charge, whether it’s charging and completion time (although that failed last night), and odometer reading, plus a bunch of useless junk. The % charge is all I really care about, and I’m certainly not going to pay for OnStar, so good enough. I supposedly get that for 10 years. The app is definitely not up to the standards of the car, though.
I've also got a '22 and mine expires next week. I normally set my car to delay charge so that it completes before I leave work and occasionally I use app to remotely change the settings to override and charge now if I leave early. (You'd think delay charging is safer due to fire recall). Will I lose that feature when I cancel next week? I could care less about remote-fob as long as the real-fob functions work.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
297 Posts
I've also got a '22 and mine expires next week. I normally set my car to delay charge so that it completes before I leave work and occasionally I use app to remotely change the settings to override and charge now if I leave early. (You'd think delay charging is safer due to fire recall). Will I lose that feature when I cancel next week? I could care less about remote-fob as long as the real-fob functions work.
Delay charging (setting up a utility rate schedule and designating which rate periods to charge in) has been built in to the car from day one. It's not an app function. However, if you want to monitor and override it remotely, you do need the app with OnStar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a '22 Bolt and mine just ended, they call it "EV Essentials" and it requires a subscription. You can still remote start, but only with the key fob, which is fine with me. IMO, "EV Essentials" should be included for 5 years, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only actual thing I've ever used the app for was the owners manual. That's convenient to have available and searchable. The rest was kind of meh and I never got any real use out of it. My OnStar free trial ends next month, and I don't think I will start paying to keep it. Bought the car used, so I don't get any of the 5-year stuff. Use Google and Plugshare when on trips anyway.

As for wifi, afaict that is only for infotainment updates, and amusingly it's only connected when the car is on - which of course it usually isn't when parked at home. I did set up the connection, but it only seems to work when I manually check for updates. And if it's off when the car's off, then of course it won't work for any app connection even if from a software standpoint it's possible.
Call OnStar. You should have 10 years of EV remote now. They added 5 years due to the recall.
It’s a great feature, even tho it’s not as good as Tesla. I used the remote start and unlock and check my charging all the time

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
FWIW, 2020 LT, no additional subscription over and above what comes free with the EV, the buttons are still on my app and I use them frequently

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, apparently with my '22, EV Access is free until 2031 which means only the EV Status works and I can start the charging if its plugged in and set to delay. But the app is still buggy like setting the delay time to charge looks like it works in the app but when you see the settings in the car, no setting actually took. They want $14.99 subscription to Connected Access but they suckered me in for a promo price of $9.50 for the next year. If these remote commands/communications remain spotty, I'll proabably cancel.

On another note, can anyone get the charge event notifications to work? Doesn't on my android phone. I can enable both 'Charge complete' and 'Charge interrupted' events but they don't seem to take. This app sucks lemons.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
...On another note, can anyone get the charge event notifications to work? Doesn't on my android phone. I can enable both 'Charge complete' and 'Charge interrupted' events but they don't seem to take. This app sucks lemons.
I set that up and it didn't work for me for a couple of months. Then, out of the blue, the notifications started working. I didn't change anything on my end (in the car or the app, or with an app update). I think something happened on the OnStar server side that suddenly registered and started sending me notifications. It might be worth a call to OnStar to see if they can do something on their end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On another note, can anyone get the charge event notifications to work? Doesn't on my android phone. I can enable both 'Charge complete' and 'Charge interrupted' events but they don't seem to take. This app sucks lemons.
Charge event notifications don't work with my iPhone either.

If this is their way of upselling into an OnStar subscription, it's a pretty poor effort.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This app sucks lemons.
Oh it sucks a lot more than that. It use to work, then they broke it, in part by requiring you to be logged in, and not allowing login w/out an internet connection. And 'stay logged in' is broken. Keypass works for a day then you have to set it up again. None of the settings stick. What a piece of shít. GM appears to be clueless.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Call OnStar. You should have 10 years of EV remote now. They added 5 years due to the recall.
Does this go for everyone? My 5 years expires next June. Is EV remote the same as EV Mobile Command Package"? I think that's what I have for 5-y free that gives me almost everything except navigation [I can even ask the app where my car is]. OnStar has done a wonderful job of marketing obfuscation. Everyone's confused, including them.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts