Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm traveling for 4 weeks and my Bolt is sitting in the garage, plugged in to my Level 2 power supply. I like to check stats of the car every 3 days or so and I no longer am able to get vehicle info. I know get an error that says 'unable to connect to the vehicle. Please drive the vehicle and try again.' Any other's experience this lack of connectivity and know the root cause? Internet is working fine for the house since it's got lots of Nest and SmartThing IOT devices. This brings up several observation:

1. Why doesn't it work after about 8 days to get status? What possible reason is there to cease communications?

2. How dumb is it to advise me to drive the car? If I could I would' but the whole point is that I'm not there and want to know how the car is doing (tire pressure changes is in particular my interest). There are better ways to phrase the error message.

3. An observation that the app is perceived more of a marketing gimmick, than delivering real value. It never has any updates so there is little/no investment on Chevy's part; half of it's feature set is to try and upsell me on Onstar capabilies, no integration with other useful apps such as ChargePoint.

I'm currently traveling around Iceland and have seen one Tesla in Reykjavik but no Opel Amperas. According to
http://ev-sales.blogspot.is/2016/01/iceland-december-2015.html
There are 19 Tesla's and 1 Ampera.

Attachments

·
Banned
350 Posts
They did update the app once this year, but I agree - the connectivity to the car is very spotty and unreliable. I get the cannot connect message 3 of 4 tries.
Yesterday my phone was connected by wifi, and the car was outside with no tree coverage and clear skies, and the mychevy would not hook up with it.
Pretty pitiful - I would not mention the app to anyone, because it sucks.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They did update the app once this year, but I agree - the connectivity to the car is very spotty and unreliable. I get the cannot connect message 3 of 4 tries.
Yesterday my phone was connected by wifi, and the car was outside with no tree coverage and clear skies, and the mychevy would not hook up with it.
Pretty pitiful - I would not mention the app to anyone, because it sucks.
Is this a Chevy problem or an OnStar problem? Does it matter whether I am on my home WiFi (reached the Bolt) or my Bolt WiFi hotspot?

·
Banned
350 Posts
Must be OnStar. I have not connected my Bolt to wifi, because I doubt that Chevy has done a good job of securing the SW in the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SanFran... I was able to check my battery status on my Bolt while traveling from Medford, OR to Portland, OR. It is not automatic. When my car was charging at a Level 3 Public Fast charger I would monitor the charging status of my Bolt from the myChevrolet app.

myChevy App Main Menu --> Vehicle Status --> PULL DOWN WITH YOUR FINGER, LET GO

If you did this correctly a little circle will spin saying Updating and then you will see an updated charge status.

Your mileage may vary,
Jeff

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jal1
Yes, I was aware of the pull down to refresh and it still doesn't work. I get home in a few days and hope this glitch isn't indicative of a bigger problem with the car. One would think they would test such a simple scenario. The app is pitiful and designed as a marketing tool unfortunately.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jal1
Yes, I was aware of the pull down to refresh and it still doesn't work. I get home in a few days and hope this glitch isn't indicative of a bigger problem with the car. One would think they would test such a simple scenario. The app is pitiful and designed as a marketing tool unfortunately.
Sorry the app is not working for you. I found the app quite useful on a recent road trip when the ChargePoint App failed so that I could not monitor my charging status at a ChargePoint station. I was able to monitor the charging on the Chevy app while eating in a restaurant nearby. I continue to get charge updates when my car is parked at home. Of possible significance, my Bolt is parked outside with a clear view of the sky.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I have been using the My Chevrolet website for many months now to monitor percent charge, and energy and efficient. It screws up in different ways every couple weeks. It stopped working again last week.

I finally decided to load the app to our old tablet, but it said we needed android kitkat 4.4 at least. I tried updating the tablet, and it ground away for some minutes updating, but didn't go to 4.4. I had help digging around on the net, trying to find a download that would work. It looks like our four year old tablet is just too old.

Anyway, I ended up biting the bullet, and putting the app on my new smartphone. Holy man! I don't know how long it will work, but right now it is amazing. Loads much faster than the website does on my desktop, and you don't need to hit refresh six times to get the whole page to load. And the since-last-charge, and lifetime numbers seem to make sense, which was never the case on the website. :)

Rant alert!!!

Just like the Torque Pro info, it really burns my butt that I have to own a smartphone, and pay an internet service provider, to get information that they could put on the center screen with the expenditure of a few lines of code.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have been using the My Chevrolet website for many months now to monitor percent charge, and energy and efficient. It screws up in different ways every couple weeks. It stopped working again last week.

I finally decided to load the app to our old tablet, but it said we needed android kitkat 4.4 at least. I tried updating the tablet, and it ground away for some minutes updating, but didn't go to 4.4. I had help digging around on the net, trying to find a download that would work. It looks like our four year old tablet is just too old.

Anyway, I ended up biting the bullet, and putting the app on my new smartphone. Holy man! I don't know how long it will work, but right now it is amazing. Loads much faster than the website does on my desktop, and you don't need to hit refresh six times to get the whole page to load. And the since-last-charge, and lifetime numbers seem to make sense, which was never the case on the website. :)

Rant alert!!!

Just like the Torque Pro info, it really burns my butt that I have to own a smartphone, and pay an internet service provider, to get information that they could put on the center screen with the expenditure of a few lines of code.

Yeah, I was miffed when I had to ditch my BB 10 OS and had to move to Android to get PlugShare to work.

I've been using the app and while it works better than the web site it does crash alot. I also get a weird message that the car is "out of range" when it's sitting in my driveway. Sometimes the app's charging messages come in a day later. That's not much help. :) That could be my phone or carrier. Who knows.

All-in-all the app works for me and this past week I got keypass to install so anything is possible.

Paul

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I just checked out the find-a-charger part of the app. It shows all the J1772 plugs, but the DC fast chargers come up saying plug incompatibility. I didn't see a place to select plugs, like on PlugShare. Is this something they just dragged over from the Volt, and it don't realize that the Bolt can have CCS DC charging?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just checked out the find-a-charger part of the app. It shows all the J1772 plugs, but the DC fast chargers come up saying plug incompatibility. I didn't see a place to select plugs, like on PlugShare. Is this something they just dragged over from the Volt, and it don't realize that the Bolt can have CCS DC charging?

Mine shows DCFC chargers and station capacity. Take the latter with a grain of salt as I explained in another post. They report amps as kW so when they say 125 kW station they mean 50 kW. ;)

I haven't tried filters, but I doubt it. They should only pull up CCS.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
My biggest complaint is that it won't remember my login. Tells me I've changed my password. I manually login with the same old password and I'm good to go until the next time I want to use the app. Same message. Have deleted and reinstalled and still have the problem...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts