Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello! I'm Chris F. and I work for General Motors. I'm a user experience researcher on the design team that works on mobile apps and websites. We are working on new concepts for the MyChevrolet mobile app and need input from Bolt EV drivers that use the mobile app. Your input will help us better understand your needs and give us insights into how to make the app better for EV owners.

Click here to give your input -->

The Details:
We're collecting feedback by asking you to record your experience on your mobile phone and answer some questions. You'll be asked to share your screen as you show us how you use the mobile app on your phone. The session should take about 15 minutes.

The link below will show you how to record your screen and voice so we can see and hear your experience. It's important to think aloud. Tell us why you're doing what you're doing, what you're expecting, and what you think about it. Don't be shy, we want to hear your thoughts!

Click the "Get Started" link when you have the time and are in a quiet, distraction-free place. Once you've clicked the link, make sure to get started within 30 minutes or the session will expire. You can take as much time as you need to complete the recording.

Follow this link to the session: Get Started

Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: UserTesting 3153402

If you run into an issue email [email protected] with My Recruit in the subject line, and/or contact me - Chris Farnum, [email protected]

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would love to participate in something like this (since I'm somewhat of a smartphone geek) if I could get the app to even connect. I had it working at one point, but have since been unable to use the workaround that once got me connected and have just given up. I think a lot of users run into the same thing where they can't even use the app to be able to give any feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spent more than 4 hours over three or four times trying to connect my galaxy phone to the Bolt my Chevy app. This was almost 3 years ago. Not worth the frustration.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would love to participate in something like this (since I'm somewhat of a smartphone geek) if I could get the app to even connect. I had it working at one point, but have since been unable to use the workaround that once got me connected and have just given up. I think a lot of users run into the same thing where they can't even use the app to be able to give any feedback.
I spent more than 4 hours over three or four times trying to connect my galaxy phone to the Bolt my Chevy app. This was almost 3 years ago. Not worth the frustration.
I've had no issues connecting to the MyChevy App, and I'm by no means a smartphone geek. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had no issues connecting to the MyChevy App, and I'm by no means a smartphone geek. 🤷‍♂️
That's likely because it is only compatible with a few devices (iPhones and some Samsung). If you have an Android device that isn't one of a few Samsung models then you're pretty much out of luck barring some workarounds that may work if you're lucky. I have a Google Pixel 4 which is Google's Android reference device (basically the standard Android device) and it won't work reliably. I was able to get it to work with a workaround of plugging it in Android Auto during the setup, but it won't work out of the box without a bunch of fiddling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LGs work too.
Good to know. I'm going off a document I found online from a few years ago that had a list of compatible devices and what I've read. I know I have two newer devices that don't work and one is a Samsung that isn't on the list and it doesn't work either.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Do you have onstar? I suspect the above users were trying to set up keypass. I finally have keypass working, but it was a fluke of phone design that let me set it up with my Galaxy Fold. When it would freeze on a spinning "waiting" display, if I folded the phone it would switch to the other display with the spinning "waiting" display gone and the "continue setup" button available. Then when it got stuck again I opened the phone, and once again the change in display got ride of the spinning "waiting" notice and allowed me to continue the setup. I still get most of my functionality from onstar because I use it from longer distance than keypass will work at.

Keith

·
Registered
501 Posts
I will NOT install an app just to leave you feedback. You will accept the feedback here as well if you value ALL of your users.

First off the MyChevrolet app is a HUGE piece of garbage. The interface is extremely dated and boring. It takes FOREVER to connect to the vehicle and it does not work half the time in CarPlay. The functions are TOO basic. We want MORE CHOICES. We want to be able to adjust the heat/AC remotely, we want the ability change/edit the radio station lists, we want the ability to view videos while the car is ONLY in charge mode, we want the ability to use the AC/Radio without the car being on.

and most of all....WE DO NOT WANT THE RADIO TO COME ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!!!!!!

I believe that we ALL agree on that last one at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have onstar? I suspect the above users were trying to set up keypass. I finally have keypass working, but it was a fluke of phone design that let me set it up with my Galaxy Fold. When it would freeze on a spinning "waiting" display, if I folded the phone it would switch to the other display with the spinning "waiting" display gone and the "continue setup" button available. Then when it got stuck again I opened the phone, and once again the change in display got ride of the spinning "waiting" notice and allowed me to continue the setup. I still get most of my functionality from onstar because I use it from longer distance than keypass will work at.

Keith
This is what I'm talking about. I guess I wasn't clear in that I'm talking about connecting to KeePass. My bad for not explaining clearly. And the behavior is exactly what keeps one from connecting. I got mine to connect using a workaround somebody found on Reddit where you can plug into Android Auto and it'll get rid of the spinning notice so you can scan the qr code, but it won't work again. At any rate, not user friendly at all.

**Edit: Since my other comment is stuck in "awaiting moderator approval" that sometimes seems to take days I wanted to share this too: I would say I also would sure like to be able to connect to my car to do keypass type features using wifi when my car and my phone are on the same wifi network. No reason this shouldn't be possible unless you are trying to force the user to purchase an OnStar subscription.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will NOT install an app just to leave you feedback. You will accept the feedback here as well if you value ALL of your users.

First off the MyChevrolet app is a HUGE piece of garbage. The interface is extremely dated and boring. It takes FOREVER to connect to the vehicle and it does not work half the time in CarPlay. The functions are TOO basic. We want MORE CHOICES. We want to be able to adjust the heat/AC remotely, we want the ability change/edit the radio station lists, we want the ability to view videos while the car is ONLY in charge mode, we want the ability to use the AC/Radio without the car being on.

Good list. I would say I also would sure like to be able to connect to my car to do all these things using wifi when my car and my phone are on the same wifi network. No reason this shouldn't be possible unless you are trying to force the user to purchase an OnStar subscription.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
124 Posts
I have an iPhone 10. No problems with the app other than not really seeing what it’s good for.

It was not needed to learn how the key fob works.
It was somewhat helpful looking at the “how things work “ section. But don’t need that anymore.
The owners manual is good to have in case the interior light stops working and I can’t read the paper manual.
No thanks to KeyPass. At this point I know where the car is parked, maybe if I get dementia.
I got all the accessories I want so that is useless.
Maintenance: what maintenance?
I have yet to decide if I want to continue the Onstar. I guess it would be worthwhile if I have zero bars on the iPhone, but otherwise I already have everything I need in the iPhone.
And let’s see, local dealership. Yeah, got that # in my phone contacts so I think I’m good.

What else can it do?

Suggestion: how about a charging network map? Like Plugshare. Or I can just use Plugshare.

I ran out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

I agree that being able to adjust heat / AC remotely, and fixing connectivity problems are a must, and updating the interface may be nice, but certainly isn't vital...

He is asking for feedback on the app... not on the infotainment system, or apple carplay, or half the other stuff you brought up... What does editing the radio station list have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING! What does watching video's on the display when charging the car have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING! What does using the AC / Radio without the car being on (camping mode) have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING! I hate the radio coming on automatically... what does that have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING!

Oh, and jumping down the throat of a guy who came here asking for feedback is not the best strategy to get something accomplished.

Keith

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree that being able to adjust heat / AC remotely, and fixing connectivity problems are a must, and updating the interface may be nice, but certainly isn't vital...

He is asking for feedback on the app... not on the infotainment system, or apple carplay, or half the other stuff you brought up... What does editing the radio station list have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING! What does watching video's on the display when charging the car have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING! What does using the AC / Radio without the car being on (camping mode) have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING! I hate the radio coming on automatically... what does that have to do with the MyChevrolet app? NOTHING!

Oh, and jumping down the throat of a guy who came here asking for feedback is not the best strategy to get something accomplished.

Keith
Boy that was rude!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
That's likely because it is only compatible with a few devices (iPhones and some Samsung). If you have an Android device that isn't one of a few Samsung models then you're pretty much out of luck barring some workarounds that may work if you're lucky. I have a Google Pixel 4 which is Google's Android reference device (basically the standard Android device) and it won't work reliably. I was able to get it to work with a workaround of plugging it in Android Auto during the setup, but it won't work out of the box without a bunch of fiddling.
LG Nexus and Google Pixel both worked fine. Now, yes, if you're talking about KeyPass, I've never bothered with it because it didn't appear to significantly add to the MyChevy App experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent feedback, all! Based on some of your comments so far, you are definitely validating the need to improve the app, which is the reason behind this research effort. If you don't have the app installed on your phone, I do appreciate the feedback you are writing in this thread. If you do have the app installed and functioning, it would be great if you could participate using the link above.

For those having trouble connecting the app to your vehicle, if you haven't done so already, one of the best first steps you can take is to contact an OnStar Advisor and ask for assistance by pressing the non-emergency OnStar button in your vehicle. I'll also check in with my team and find out if there are any other good tips or ways to get assistance.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Keith
This. And keypass is gone for 2020. As far a I can tell, most of it's functions are now available in MyChevrolet/Onstar.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Excellent feedback, all! Based on some of your comments so far, you are definitely validating the need to improve the app, which is the reason behind this research effort. If you don't have the app installed on your phone, I do appreciate the feedback you are writing in this thread. If you do have the app installed and functioning, it would be great if you could participate using the link above.

For those having trouble connecting the app to your vehicle, if you haven't done so already, one of the best first steps you can take is to contact an OnStar Advisor and ask for assistance by pressing the non-emergency OnStar button in your vehicle. I'll also check in with my team and find out if there are any other good tips or ways to get assistance.
When I have the chance, I'll definitely log in and give my feedback. Heck, I could probably spend an hour on the app; however, in a global sense, the first feedback I would give is that it's going to be difficult to comment on omissions. Further, most of my actual issues with the MyChevy app involve its integration with Android Auto, which I don't know would come up in this feedback session. I think the Energy Assist route planner is possibly one of the best available for the Bolt EV, but it doesn't integrate well with Android Auto or port to the main screen well. Again, things that wouldn't come up in this feedback session.

In terms of omissions, not having an instant status view of the car and its systems is frustrating. I can tell the tire pressure, battery percentage, and when the car is charging, but I can't tell when the AC is on, what the cabin temperature is (important for dog owners), whether the doors are locked, the current power usage of various systems (e.g., battery and cabin conditioning), the current battery temperature, etc. There's also no option for setting charge settings remotely Hilltop Reserve, Target Charge Limit, TOU, departure time, 120 V power level at 8 A versus 12 A, etc.There's also very limited historical data, such as recent efficiency, charge sessions, trip data, charging history breakdowns, regenerative braking energy recouped, etc.

I know that many of these things might appear as trivial or nice-to-haves, but they are the types of things that also build interest in and curiosity about EVs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I picked up the Bolt last November, I had the trial of On Star and tried the app. As I got used to the vehicle, I checked in on the app and found the experience slow frustrating. For example, I wanted to do the pre-conditioning so it wouldn't be so cold when I got in (in my garage), but it was just easier to use the key to start it up.
One thing that would have been helpful is have the app Car Play enabled so that the map with charging stations could be displayed on the screen.
Even though I made this suggestion, I'm still unlikely to use it. When I used to use the app, I saw on a map in the app where it showed my driving habits and high speed along with the location of where it happened. Once I saw that, I deactivated On-Star, unsubscribed from everything I could from the app and online, and deleted the app. I know google and Apple already know way too much, but I didn't need GM monitoring my driving habits, especially without context.
This is a trend among many manufacturers and unfortunately is pushing me towards a more "dumb" vehicle from a decade or two ago. I think I'm too young to shake my fist at the sky, but I'm practicing.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts