Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Chris - I'm a product manager myself (automotive, mobile app and SaaS) and a bit of a UX geek. Here's my feedback.

What is the purpose of the app? To add convenience to the Bolt driver (me!). When I launch the app, I want the app to anticipate my needs. Why am I launching it - Pre-Conditioning (primarily), Unlock/Lock (secondary), check range, vehicle stats close behind. Why do I get a menu with marketing options where I then have to select Key Fob or Vehicle status? The rest of the screen is Energy Assist (could be useful), Vehicle Location (meh), Share Location, Chevy Rewards, Smart Driver, WiFi, Navigation (would just use CarPlay - although an energy range bubble or a find nearest charge station would be cool), Accessories, Marketplace, Manual, Preferred Dealer . . .hide this stuff - maybe a notification to let me know it's there from time to time.

Why not have the primary app be a pseudo dashboard - make it immersive, car rolls in, rotates, (I'm engaged and thinking what a cool app) it shows my car in its color, show stats across the top (charge status, range, time to complete charging), and just below my car my most common functions; precondition, unlock/lock, locate, below that tire pressure - use the current vehicle status screen as a start - make the background black (or auto switch daytime/night time) - the white background and yellow has been around forever

Future feature suggestions: ,
1 - Add ability to close windows from app,
2 - Implement CarKey - I don't want it to be NFC - would be cool if the current KeyPass could be CarKey (via bluetooth only). I don't see much value in KeyPass as it is today - if it works (meaning I have just recently opened the MyChevy app), all it does is turn the lights on when I approach it - meh - could be so much more.
3 - On the center display in the car (and in the app) it would be cool to have a Find Charger feature - maybe EA, plugshare, charge point, et al, has APIs that could be called to do this.
4 - not app related - but I would LOVE a glass or pano sunroof - PLEASE! Pass this on to the appropriate product team.

Thanks.

Hope this helps - Look forward to seeing updates.
This guy has all the right ideas!!!

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
469 Posts
Hey Chris - I'm a product manager myself (automotive, mobile app and SaaS) and a bit of a UX geek. Here's my feedback.

What is the purpose of the app? To add convenience to the Bolt driver (me!). When I launch the app, I want the app to anticipate my needs. Why am I launching it - Pre-Conditioning (primarily), Unlock/Lock (secondary), check range, vehicle stats close behind. Why do I get a menu with marketing options where I then have to select Key Fob or Vehicle status? The rest of the screen is Energy Assist (could be useful), Vehicle Location (meh), Share Location, Chevy Rewards, Smart Driver, WiFi, Navigation (would just use CarPlay - although an energy range bubble or a find nearest charge station would be cool), Accessories, Marketplace, Manual, Preferred Dealer . . .hide this stuff - maybe a notification to let me know it's there from time to time.

Why not have the primary app be a pseudo dashboard - make it immersive, car rolls in, rotates, (I'm engaged and thinking what a cool app) it shows my car in its color, show stats across the top (charge status, range, time to complete charging), and just below my car my most common functions; precondition, unlock/lock, locate, below that tire pressure - use the current vehicle status screen as a start - make the background black (or auto switch daytime/night time) - the white background and yellow has been around forever

Future feature suggestions: ,
1 - Add ability to close windows from app,
2 - Implement CarKey - I don't want it to be NFC - would be cool if the current KeyPass could be CarKey (via bluetooth only). I don't see much value in KeyPass as it is today - if it works (meaning I have just recently opened the MyChevy app), all it does is turn the lights on when I approach it - meh - could be so much more.
3 - On the center display in the car (and in the app) it would be cool to have a Find Charger feature - maybe EA, plugshare, charge point, et al, has APIs that could be called to do this.
4 - not app related - but I would LOVE a glass or pano sunroof - PLEASE! Pass this on to the appropriate product team.

Thanks.

Hope this helps - Look forward to seeing updates.
To me, the biggest failings of the app are that WiFi and Bluetooth are not the primary ways the app communicates with the car. If these were primary, many interactions would presumably be much faster. To me, OnStar should be a last resort, when longer range control is required\desired.

To that end, Fob functions should work at close range, even without OS subscriptions. Window control would be nice. More granular control of charging settings, at least matching on screen capabilities. CarKey is kind of redundant, the fob in your pocket and approach settings in the car make CarKey kind of uneccesary.

But, the biggest gap to me is the on the road experience. Energy Assist gathers good info about charger status, but should share the info with the Maps applications. Trying to compete with Google and Apple on onscreen navigation is an uphill battle, but gathering info that can be shared with the maps applications makes a win\win combo in my mind. If EA passed charging facilities along the route, and provided car specific data (SOC, charging speed, and click to charge with the EVGo, and presumably other networks in the future) to the Maps application, an entire trip could be done using the Maps application to navigate, find chargers, initiate charging, get progress on charging, etc. The EA data could be an icon on the map that when clicked pops up an applet with detailed info. Chargers on the map could be linked to EA to provide status, simply click on an icon on the screen to see charger status.

·
Registered
200 Posts
One thing about the rewards program on the app, I lost my 20,000 points for new vehicle purchase. It wasn't clear that when you click on redeeem points, there would be a one month time limit on using them. We just got the car and didn't know what we wanted to use them on yet.
You're better off than I was!

I wasn't told about the whole program when I purchased the car... so I never linked an account, I was just using the app. You don't get the points until you log on the website and do some other work... so I never got the 20,000. When I figured it out and contacted GM, I was told that I waited too long to signup. How do you signup if you're not aware it's there?

·
Registered
200 Posts
So.. I'd love to provide feedback in the manner in which you asked.. but viewing the website on a desktop the link you provided said to access on a smartphone. I get why.. you want to do the work from there. The link is a string of random looking characters.. I'm not typing that in. Why not a QR code, or shortly URL to the jump from desktop to mobile easier? UI huh... really?

Look, I use the app for two things. If I remember to precondition in the winter (live in Michigan)... this bugs me that Google knows my routine, and can send me notification alerts telling me traffic on my route home is backed up and warning me of the additional time / suggesting new routes. My Bolt should pop up a reminder in the notification try.. it's cold out, do you want to precondition before heading home?

The other function I use is under Vehicle Status to see SOC. Why vehicle status information doesn't update in the background upon opening the app I don't understand. There's plenty of other apps that pull information upon opening, so it's a function that can be done. It's annoying to pull down the screen multiple times (it doesn't seem to register sometimes) and wait, and wait, and wait for the update.

Outside of those two functions, I don't use anything else on the app.

I'd rather see a tiled array of options than a scrolling list. And if I've configured my "menu" options, they should be live tiles. So I could open the app, and not have to navigate to a submenu that I need to scroll down to in order to select and then refresh the information to see SOC. It should be live, loaded upon opening, and displayed on the "home" screen. My most used features should also be there... Open the app, tap the precondition button, unfortunately type in a PIN, and move on.

The energy assist is a joke... the Chargepoint chargers I used (when I went into the office pre COVID) every day don't show on the map. It's better to open up the Chargepoint app to see which ones are open when I arrive so I don't have to drive to multiple parking lots to find an open charger. If it worked I'd give it a shot... but once Plugshare comes to Android Auto forget it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll ask agin..does anyone know how to completely disable the Mychevy link Bluetooth ..To have it quit trying to connect to my Phone.

I've tried everything I know with no luck. I can't use anything else Bluetooth without MyChevy trying to take over..very frustrating. The app itself is nothing more than upsell of services that I have no interest in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you try erasing all Bluetooth devices on your car and your phone, the mychevy always has a entry on the bluetooth settings in the phone, on your car you delete your phone.
Whenever prompted again just cancel the request.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@ChrisF-IWORKFORGM another idea - could you update the myChevrolet app so I can program iOS shortcuts with it? This would be incredibly useful. I could ask Siri to "Start my Bolt" and have it pre-condition it. Or lock it, or unlock it, etc.

Also, when first accessing the app, I know I can swipe down and let go to update - it would be nice if the main screen (or the vehicle status screen) had a "As of"or "Last Updated" time/date so I know when it was last updated.

Would it be possible for you to share with us what updates we can expect soon?

Thanks - looking forward to updates.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll ask agin..does anyone know how to completely disable the Mychevy link Bluetooth ..To have it quit trying to connect to my Phone.

I've tried everything I know with no luck. I can't use anything else Bluetooth without MyChevy trying to take over..very frustrating. The app itself is nothing more than upsell of services that I have no interest in.
What kind of phone do you have? You should be able to click on Settings > Bluetooth > find the connection to "myChevrolet", tap on it and click "forget device". This is for an iPhone.

Alternatively, you can access Devices on your infotainment screen, find your phone and remove it there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@ChrisF-IWORKFORGM another idea - could you update the myChevrolet app so I can program iOS shortcuts with it? This would be incredibly useful. I could ask Siri to "Start my Bolt" and have it pre-condition it. Or lock it, or unlock it, etc.

Also, when first accessing the app, I know I can swipe down and let go to update - it would be nice if the main screen (or the vehicle status screen) had a "As of"or "Last Updated" time/date so I know when it was last updated.

OOOOH! THIS! Siri integration for voice commands would be amazing.

"Siri, unlock my car"

"Siri, precondition my car"

"Siri, set my car's charging rate to 12 amps"

etc.

Or maybe "Siri, are any of my tires low?"

·
Registered
233 Posts

Also, whether any of our suggestions for the related components of the OnStar ecosystem were forwarded on, and what sort of response that got.

Your suggestion is along the lines of things that I want, in the general theme of "more ways to integrate automation solutions" - whether that is locally on-device (iOS shortcuts, Android intents), or via a publically documented API available to private owners (such as https://github.com/q39JzrRa/GM-Vehicle-API without hacks to extract the client secret from the MyChevrolet APK) so we can integrate with automation systems like Home Assistant. But fully fleshing out the OnStar ecosystem properly requires going "beyond the app" - with APIs, and furthermore having the vehicle use wifi for more than just OTA updates (which, since we almost never see OTA updates, means that it's a complete and utter waste of owners' time setting up their vehicle to connect to their home wifi at the moment). As I've already stated in this thread - OnStar's insistence on using the cellular network at all times regardless of wifi network presence causes serious reliability problems when the vehicle is parked in my garage (very weak cell signal, rock solid wifi)

Unfortunately the last item likely requires vehicle software updates, which makes it unlikely to ever happen (see my comment about the OTA update function being useless because even the OTA-updatable components never actually see updates), but improving API integration endpoints is entirely in the OnStar service backends.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What kind of phone do you have? You should be able to click on Settings > Bluetooth > find the connection to "myChevrolet", tap on it and click "forget device". This is for an iPhone.

Alternatively, you can access Devices on your infotainment screen, find your phone and remove it there.

Good luck.
What happens when I click on Chevy MyLink is that it Turns it ON ...there is no " forget it"

I can unpair it but it immediate re-pairs after I get in the car

I delete it from available devices in the Cars settings ...but it always comes back.

So part of the issue is that whenever I plug USB in Phone to car I need MyLink to run Android auto /Spotify ...which is Fine if it would use JUST the wired connection..but it insists on taking over bluetooth.

Another part of the problem is that as a Rideshare driver I am in out of my vehicle a lot so it's a constant battle of connections...my Bluetooth hearing aids and MyLink for control

Huawei Mate 20X

·
Registered
134 Posts
OK so Iwent to the car and deleted my Phone from available devices..message p[ops up ..are you sure, you'll have to repair if you want to use again (paraphrasing)

So I delete the Phone

Also in the settings, I have USB auto on when Connected USB

I check Bluetooth settings ..MyLink is not connected my hearing aids are..

I plug the USB into my Phone.. Android auto everything things come on fine...BUT NOW MyLink has taken over again via Bluetooth ...

audio,calls etc al change back to MyLink ..Bluetooth

I just want to connect USB without MyLink taking over

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
@OneEV I think the next thing is in android auto on your phone (do not connect it to your Bolt, just start the Android Auto manually on your phone), I think you can go to settings for it and unpair it from your car. Settings to look for are:

• Connected Cars -> Accepted Cars and Rejected Cars
  • Add new cars to Android Auto -> Turn off
  • Autolaunch -> Start AA when you connect your phone -> Turn off
  • Use Bluetooth -> Turn Bluetooth on when Android Auto is running -> Turn off
Hopefully those take care of bluetooth pairing with your Bolt when you connect.

Reactions: DZD and OneEV

·
Registered
134 Posts
@OneEV I think the next thing is in android auto on your phone (do not connect it to your Bolt, just start the Android Auto manually on your phone), I think you can go to settings for it and unpair it from your car. Settings to look for are:

Morning QP.. I haven't tested yet (3 am) but yeah that should do it . I had changed the setting on Phone and Car but forgot about the settings in Android Auto itself

I'll post back later

Thank You !!

·
Registered
134 Posts

Update ..no that didnt work either..

The Problem is whenever I pull USB in then it starts up Bluetooth ...I mean I have everything OFF for Bluetooth and have the phone deleted .. but as soon as I plug in Mylink adds Bluetooth and dominates it.. won't let me set my Bluetooth hearing aids as the "Main" source for phone calls Phone.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Update ..no that didnt work either..

The Problem is whenever I pull USB in then it starts up Bluetooth ...I mean I have everything OFF for Bluetooth and have the phone deleted .. but as soon as I plug in Mylink adds Bluetooth and dominates it.. won't let me set my Bluetooth hearing aids as the "Main" source for phone calls Phone.
It would be a hassle, but couldn't you manually change it after the car starts up? I would imagine that must be the case since in a family you could potentially have 3 or 4 iphones paired to the Bolt and have numerous combinations of occupants in the car (w/their phone) at any given time...

181 - 200 of 219 Posts