Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
It would be a hassle, but couldn't you manually change it after the car starts up? I would imagine that must be the case since in a family you could potentially have 3 or 4 iphones paired to the Bolt and have numerous combinations of occupants in the car (w/their phone) at any given time...
Yes I do that but it automatically reverts back to Chevy MyLink ...funny thing is I have googled the issue but all everyone else is complaining about is that they CANT connect to MyLink

I'll keep trying different settings

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Yes I do that but it automatically reverts back to Chevy MyLink ...funny thing is I have googled the issue but all everyone else is complaining about is that they CANT connect to MyLink

What if you bring in a decoy? Put another phone and connect it's BT to your car. haha

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
don't recall, did you try plugging the phone while in airplane mode? would it even override that setting? I mean, what if one is hauling around pyrotechnics? asking for a friend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all- Again, this is a great conversation and I really appreciate all of the input.
Input. I'm not installing an app for you to spy on my usage. (Also.. aren't you dog-fooding the cars you sell?) Your users all are telling you the same general things...

• I'll pay for connected vehicle services if the app is improved (see below) however I don't want to have to call OnStar and talk to someone to try and decode the various billing plans over the phone. OnStar's website doesn't even list how much services cost, or how much I'm paying. This is a nonstarter for me. I don't want to talk to OnStar... I want connected services managed via my account online in a browser or the mobile app.
  • OTA updates. It's been over a year since I got my 2019 Bolt EV. I haven't received a single OTA update beyond the (non-ota) DCFC cold weather update I did myself with the correct tools and acdelcotds (because I couldn't get an appointment at the dealership within 3 weeks) The head unit is buggy, crashes, and locks up occasionally.. nothing is perfect, but the general feeling is GM has a habit of abandoning cars after sale.
  • Mychevy app on android is buggy, slow, and doesn't feel like a modern app. The absolute minimum functionality wise is there.. but the app is a labor to use. It should be just as fast to use the app as your keys... Or the app won't get used.
  • Mychevy app is bloated. I don't want to review "my Chevy points" or whatever.. why would Chevy constantly show me "points for my next Chevy purchase" when I just want to use the car I have and already purchased?
The folks designing these services don't drive the cars daily. The apps feel like they're designed to "check a box" for dealers and try to get you to buy your next car. They feel tedious, corporate, bloated with marketing, and a bare minimum in functionality.

Tesla shows how great an app and ecosystem can be. GM doesn't have to compete with Tesla in terms of tech.. however GM has to at least make products people want to use.

I love my Bolt EV, but infotainment and the mychevy apps are a black eye on an otherwise great car. GM phoned it in, paid LG the bare minimum to get a head unit designed, and abandoned users once the car got out the door to dealers

This is how users feel.. and this is why Tesla is winning.

If you want to amaze people.. upgrade all head units to wireless android auto via ota. You can support it.. the head units have 5ghz wifi per the FCC specs (which is the Google documented requirement)

If you want people to tolerate the infotainment, start bi-yearly OTA updates to head units to fix bugs and introduce minor improvements.

If you want pissed customers heading to Kia (niro ev), Tesla, or other brands.. keep doing what you're doing. (Nothing, pretending it's 1987 still)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in here where you unpaired the car from the phone on the phone's side?

The headunit SHOULD be rejecting connection requests from the phone if you've "forgotten" it, but it may be that there's a bug where it hasn't completely forgotten the pairing relationship when the phone attempts to reconnect. But if you unpair/forget on the phone side you should be OK.

It's no surprise that the instructions people gave for forgetting/blocking in AA didn't work - that's only for USB. You need to forget the car in your phone's Bluetooth settings.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey @ChrisF-IWORKFORGM Did you pass this to the dev team and what are they going to do now that you have loads of feedback.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in here where you unpaired the car from the phone on the phone's side?

The headunit SHOULD be rejecting connection requests from the phone if you've "forgotten" it, but it may be that there's a bug where it hasn't completely forgotten the pairing relationship when the phone attempts to reconnect. But if you unpair/forget on the phone side you should be OK.

It's no surprise that the instructions people gave for forgetting/blocking in AA didn't work - that's only for USB. You need to forget the car in your phone's Bluetooth settings.
Oh yes unpaired on both phone and car..also renamed phone. It's whenever I plug the USB cable into the car then Bluetooth changes from my bt hearing aids to chevylink ...I can manually go change it back to hearing aids but my link takes control again.

I would like to change it to where MyChevy Link gets android auto (media) and phone calls etc goes to Hearing aids. Ican set it like that for a while but unable to Force it to remember those settings

ummmm I think I'll check out google play and see if there is a 3rd party app that may be able to do that (kind of like the force rotation apps) .. Force Bluetooth to remember Bluetooth settings for different devices

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmm... That's really strange and shouldn't even be possible. If you've deleted the pairing relationship from the phone, it shouldn't be possible. Unless AA includes some sort of auto-cable-pairing system like what the Dualshock4 has on PS4. This might be a general AA flaw... I've had the exact opposite problem, my phone unpairs from the vehicle every few weeks and then I wind up with my call going through speakerphone on the phone itself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I may have found something .. I'll test this morning ..a Bluetooth Firewall app .. I download a couple different apps ..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Success ! The Bluetooth Firewall app worked..

Ia ma now able to connect Bluetooth to Hearing aids and run Android Auto via USB without Chevy MyLink trying to take over ...let me rephrase that, MyLink still tries but the firewall is stopping it

·
Registered
134 Posts
Success ! The Bluetooth Firewall app worked..

Ia ma now able to connect Bluetooth to Hearing aids and run Android Auto via USB without Chevy MyLink trying to take over ...let me rephrase that, MyLink still tries but the firewall is stopping it

View attachment 30597

View attachment 30598
UPDATE ... NOPE that isn't working ..did initially but now it is right back where it was..whenever I plug USB in MYChevy Link forces Bluetooth on and MyChevyLink takes over calls, media etc..

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Huawei phone? The Chinese military must have logged in to bypass your BT firewall. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Huawei phone? The Chinese military must have logged in to bypass your BT firewall. :ROFLMAO:
Funny ..but yes it passed my mind ... Looks like it is a Android auto issue.

I am going to wait for Android 11 (android 10 now) Android 11 allows wireless (wifi) connection for Android Auto . Then I can plug the Phone in via the 12volt plug with USB .. that allows Charging without starting up MyLink .

If there were more 5G phones at a decent price I'd simply upgrade now

·
Registered
233 Posts
I actually now want to test my Plantronics headset with my phone in the car because I'm curious if this is a Huawei "customization" gone wrong.

Huawei is HORRIBLE at software. I will never touch another one of their devices after the experience I had with one of their early Android tablets (GPL violations, telling customers they couldn't get an update without going into a service center - and if you're in the US, go f yourself, having the accelerometer axes wrong breaking many apps)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I actually now want to test my Plantronics headset with my phone in the car because I'm curious if this is a Huawei "customization" gone wrong.

Huawei is HORRIBLE at software. I will never touch another one of their devices after the experience I had with one of their early Android tablets (GPL violations, telling customers they couldn't get an update without going into a service center - and if you're in the US, go f yourself, having the accelerometer axes wrong breaking many apps)
I have the Huawei Mate 20X and it has been the best Phone I have ever owned. Since I run uber/lyft I need a large phone (to see maps). The Mate 20X is 6.9 inches . The screen is also resist fingerprints better than any phone I've had. Bright screen , fast and DUAL SIM !

But I will be shopping next 6 months or so anyway as 5G continues to get implemented..again for Rideshare the faster the connection the better. I refuse to pay$1,000 for a phone anymore. I use to but those days are history.

$500 or less right now , whats the Largest Phone , with 5G and Android auto that works on T-Mo ...used is fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 30178
Hello! I'm Chris F. and I work for General Motors. I'm a user experience researcher on the design team that works on mobile apps and websites. We are working on new concepts for the MyChevrolet mobile app and need input from Bolt EV drivers that use the mobile app. Your input will help us better understand your needs and give us insights into how to make the app better for EV owners.

Click here to give your input -->

The Details:
We're collecting feedback by asking you to record your experience on your mobile phone and answer some questions. You'll be asked to share your screen as you show us how you use the mobile app on your phone. The session should take about 15 minutes.

The link below will show you how to record your screen and voice so we can see and hear your experience. It's important to think aloud. Tell us why you're doing what you're doing, what you're expecting, and what you think about it. Don't be shy, we want to hear your thoughts!

Click the "Get Started" link when you have the time and are in a quiet, distraction-free place. Once you've clicked the link, make sure to get started within 30 minutes or the session will expire. You can take as much time as you need to complete the recording.

Follow this link to the session: Get Started

Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: UserTesting 3153402

If you run into an issue email [email protected] with My Recruit in the subject line, and/or contact me - Chris Farnum, [email protected]

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apple Maps in iOS 14 will supposedly work with EV Apps like My Chevrolet and support routing. It would be great if that would happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It would be nice to be able to disable the pin requirement for preconditioning a EV. When wearing a mask, face recognition can’t be used to bypass the prompt. Nobody is going to die of carbon monoxide poisoning from an EV starting in the garage, so the pin doesn’t seem necessary.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It would be nice to be able to disable the pin requirement for preconditioning a EV. When wearing a mask, face recognition can’t be used to bypass the prompt. Nobody is going to die of carbon monoxide poisoning from an EV starting in the garage, so the pin doesn’t seem necessary.
That would assume they even fix the fact that the app has not been updated for Android's new biometric APIs for more than a year, even before COVID, face recognition was not usable and still isn't even if you don't have a mask on.

Android 11 isn't out and GM still hasn't made required changes to support Android 10 features.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts