Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I guess I'm just old. I find the app to be pretty redundant personally. I have no issue walking up to the car and tapping the little button on the handle to unlock it and to lock it before walking away. I use Android Auto for route planning, and have that in my phone before I even walk out to the car. I'm plenty happy with how quickly it picks up on the car's infotainment when I tether. Interior temperature might be nice, the LEAF had that, but I haven't "missed" this. The cell service on my phone is 5g and will simply embarrass the wifi in the car. I don't need it in the car. What am I supposed to use the app for? About all I seem to get out of it is an idea of state of charge and time to completion when I'm at work, and it's plugged in, out in the parking lot. Beyond this, aside from the convenience of preconditioning in the winter, it seems like a novelty. Maybe if I sat with someone well versed in all of the features it may have. I dunno.

Reactions: shrox

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Chris,
Just checked the app and it's telling me I have 427 miles. Looked on the dash GOM and it says 255. Refreshed 3 times.
The My Chevrolet app also locks up EVERY time I try to use the energy bubble. Has done it from day one. Updates don't help.
Here we go again...Settings/Apps/My Chevrolet/Force Stop

2020 Bolt LT

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I guess I'm just old. I find the app to be pretty redundant personally. I have no issue walking up to the car and tapping the little button on the handle to unlock it and to lock it before walking away. I use Android Auto for route planning, and have that in my phone before I even walk out to the car. I'm plenty happy with how quickly it picks up on the car's infotainment when I tether. Interior temperature might be nice, the LEAF had that, but I haven't "missed" this. The cell service on my phone is 5g and will simply embarrass the wifi in the car. I don't need it in the car. What am I supposed to use the app for? About all I seem to get out of it is an idea of state of charge and time to completion when I'm at work, and it's plugged in, out in the parking lot. Beyond this, aside from the convenience of preconditioning in the winter, it seems like a novelty. Maybe if I sat with someone well versed in all of the features it may have. I dunno.
Welcome to olde.

I find most apps redundant, I usually just go on the web. Downloading app after app fills the phone's memory pretty quickly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
While I'm not sure I'll be able to do much with the survey, because like most people, I'm dong very little driving these days, I appreciate the effort. As someone with extensive experience in usability, I can say that I have mostly avoided the app because my experience with it has been generally poor. It's achingly slow (initially it was on an iPhone X, and now it's on an iPhone 11 Pro, so hardware capability isn't an issue), and IIRC, it looks like the app is yet another webview stuffed into an app shell. My default assumption is that you outsourced app development based on a checklist of features.

It would be interesting to understand what you see as your primary use cases for the app. I know I've tried to do a couple of random things at times, when I've thought of the app as potentially a way to get what I wanted, and found that either the task was difficult to find and do or that I was prevented because what I wanted to do required OnStar, a service to which I have no need to subscribe. (On a related note, I didn't even sign up for the limited service initially. I had no desire to give my credit card to some stranger I was talking to in my car on my first day or purchase as the first demand.)

The feeling here is that the app is deisgned to meet Chevy's business goals, not Bolt users' goals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just found this thread and haven't read all the way through it yet. I only use the App to track my battery state so I can keep track of energy used vs energy charged over time in a spread sheet. Occasionally I use the FOB functions for preconditioning. But I didn't know about Energy Assist and after playing with it a bit, I am intrigued and consider checking in here a win. If the link is still good, I'll try to participate in the survey in the next day or two.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been a bit busy the past week, so I did not see this post until now. Unfortunately, the way in which you're collecting "feedback" from the app is not really useful for actually giving feedback of the app. Yeah, you'll see me entering my PIN when I precondition. But there's no way to give you feedback that having to do this is utterly infuriating.

Android has supported biometric security for years (fingerprint for a while, face unlock since Android 10 and the Pixel 4 launched last fall). It's there, please use it, don't make us use a PIN when every other application on our phone including BANKING applications (which have higher security requirements than remotely preconditioning an EV) supports biometric authentication.
I use a Pixel 2 and the app has always used my fingerprint instead of my PIN (got the car in 2018).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to olde.

I find most apps redundant, I usually just go on the web. Downloading app after app fills the phone's STORAGE pretty quickly.
FTFY.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome to olde.

I find most apps redundant, I usually just go on the web. Downloading app after app fills the phone's memory pretty quickly.
Yeah, pretty much the same here. I'll use ABRP and plugshare to build routes. Then I build the stops into a multi waypoint route in google maps and send to my phone. Having Android Auto has been far more useful. Built in satnav is obsolete, especially when GM charges as much as if not more than the price of a brand new GPS unit in a store just to update it. I will say one thing about the MyLink app, it does work better than the Nissan Connect does for our old LEAF.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Hey Chris,
Just checked the app and it's telling me I have 427 miles. Looked on the dash GOM and it says 255. Refreshed 3 times.
The My Chevrolet app also locks up EVERY time I try to use the energy bubble. Has done it from day one. Updates don't help.
Here we go again...Settings/Apps/My Chevrolet/Force Stop

2020 Bolt LT
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'll reply with a direct message to discuss.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've been using computers since abacuses...well, DOS when you had to park it anyway.
As have I. Storage is the proper term.

I actually do have an abacus here somewhere I used in school...

back on topic though.....when do you think we will be seeing these changes? A year? 3 years?

Reactions: shrox

·
Registered
223 Posts
As have I. Storage is the proper term.

I actually do have an abacus here somewhere I used in school...

back on topic though.....when do you think we will be seeing these changes? A year? 3 years?
I know, but on Space:1999 they call it memory cells...

On topic, I usually wait until I read about others' experience with an update.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Let me give you some feedback about the experience of using the MyChevrolet app on an iPhone in a region outside of the OnStar bubble, that is, South Korea. Simply put, it's limited and feels neglected.

First of all, it only functions with Bolt EV. No other Chevrolet car released in Korea works with it. Some of the poor reviews in the App Store is related to this. But I have a Bolt so I merrily went on and paired the app to the car. Now what?

The functions I can use are:
  • Vehicle Info: drivable range, battery level charging status, tire pressure, and odometer
  • Remote control: door lock/unlock, climate control on/off, and car horn
  • Mark parking location on a map
  • Browse owner's manual
  • Call customer center
Because OnStar service is unavailable in the country, MyChevrolet app's communication with the car is done purely through Bluetooth connection. There's no LTE or Wi-Fi connectivity on a Bolt sold in Korea. This means that the first two items are functional only if I'm within about 10 meters (33 feet) from the car. It's better than nothing, but hardly as useful. I can't even check the charging status on the app unless I'm within the line of sight of the car. I might as well just walk up to the car to check. By then I can just glance at the DIC to see the range, battery level, tire pressure, and odometer info.

But hey, battery level can be seen in 1% steps on the app instead of 5% level on the DIC. Yay. But wait, I have an OBD-II dongle. I'm already seeing it in 0.4% steps. Meh. Moving on...

Third item is essentially redundant because Apple Maps pretty much does this automatically for me. Fifth item just lets me call a number that's already in my address book. It has a link to OnStar, but that leads to a blank contact sheet since the service is nonexistent here.

So in the end, the app is mostly used for the fourth item - browsing the manual. And that wouldn't be too bad, if not for the half-assed search function. It only searches the section title and not the content. I would be better off just having a PDF file of the manual.

The app itself has been updated about twenty times in the 2+ year's span that I owned the Bolt. But functionality-wise, only two changes were apparent for me: addition of CarPlay support and shrinking(!) of the manual's font size. Since there are virtually no connectivity-related functions available, the main function of the CarPlay support for Korean users is that it gives you a nice Chevrolet icon on the CarPlay display. That's it. Oh, and now I have to manually pinch and zoom to see read the manual on my phone. Great job messing up the one useful function there.

Now that I have wrote it down, it now makes sense that Chevrolet only lets Bolt EV users enjoy the app. They didn't want to embarrass themselves in front of the larger Chevy user base. Not that it's a big one, and mostly Spark drivers, but still.

I suppose working out a way of providing a full OnStar support is out of the question. So in the least, perhaps some sort of route planning function could be added with a partnership of a local provider or something.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use a Pixel 2 and the app has always used my fingerprint instead of my PIN (got the car in 2018).
Now I'm trying to decide whether this reflects worse or better on GM than my personal stance.

Positive: GM bothered to implement biometric authentication at all.
Negative: GM's team including @ChrisF-IWORKFORGM has basically sat on their laurels for nearly a year and done nothing to update their app to new biometric authentication APIs, instead sticking with APIs that were declared as deprecated nearly a year ago: One Biometric API Over all Android His team has ignored direction from Google that all app updates that support biometric authentication must be moved to the new API, relying since November 2019 on Google's lax enforcement of this rule: These apps support the Google Pixel 4's face unlock feature

·
Registered
232 Posts
I basically never use the app for lock/unlock. The one exception would be (and again - not the app, but an API that gives end-users API access) if I could integrate lock/unlock into my home automation system. OR if I could have automatic lock/unlock geofenced to my home like charging settings are. Automatic lock/unlock is great when out and about, but it's a gigantic PITA when the car is parked in my garage and I forget to hit the unlock button on one of my fobs before I walk downstairs to grab something out of the car.

For me, the primary thing I use the app for is remote preconditioning - and again, I'd use the functionality 10x as often if it WEREN'T restricted to the app, because the app is useless when I am at work. (As I've said before - no cell coverage, no personal devices on wifi, but I do have web browser access to the outside world so could precondition from my desk if my.chevrolet.com had feature parity with the app.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
(On a related note, I didn't even sign up for the limited service initially. I had no desire to give my credit card to some stranger I was talking to in my car on my first day or purchase as the first demand.)
FWIW, I have never given OnStar my credit card. I only have the free 5 year service level that comes with the Bolt. Oh, and I bought my Bolt used.

I think whatever salesman told you you had to give them your credit card was either lying or clueless.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I downloaded the survey app but it said it was incompatible with my LG phone. Re the My Chevrolet app, it took me a long time to figure out that you had to swipe down to update the data. As far as the routing feature is concerned, it doesn't work very well. It is out of date with respect to charging stations and it takes strange routes that make no sense. To me, it's useless.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
feedback on the feedback app, brilliant! haha

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier, Summit White.
3 Posts
I just tried getting KeyPass set up with MyChevyBolt app on a Galaxy S10 running the latest Android. I gave it 8 attempts to get linked up, each failed for some reason on another. Mostly was getting hung at the "pairing with vehicle" screen. Once, while it was doing that, I plugged in the USB cable and was able to get as far as the QR capture screen. Then guess what? It hung on "validating QR code". Bah! I'm too old to deal with difficult software.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Chris - I'm a product manager myself (automotive, mobile app and SaaS) and a bit of a UX geek. Here's my feedback.

What is the purpose of the app? To add convenience to the Bolt driver (me!). When I launch the app, I want the app to anticipate my needs. Why am I launching it - Pre-Conditioning (primarily), Unlock/Lock (secondary), check range, vehicle stats close behind. Why do I get a menu with marketing options where I then have to select Key Fob or Vehicle status? The rest of the screen is Energy Assist (could be useful), Vehicle Location (meh), Share Location, Chevy Rewards, Smart Driver, WiFi, Navigation (would just use CarPlay - although an energy range bubble or a find nearest charge station would be cool), Accessories, Marketplace, Manual, Preferred Dealer . . .hide this stuff - maybe a notification to let me know it's there from time to time.

Why not have the primary app be a pseudo dashboard - make it immersive, car rolls in, rotates, (I'm engaged and thinking what a cool app) it shows my car in its color, show stats across the top (charge status, range, time to complete charging), and just below my car my most common functions; precondition, unlock/lock, locate, below that tire pressure - use the current vehicle status screen as a start - make the background black (or auto switch daytime/night time) - the white background and yellow has been around forever

Future feature suggestions: ,
1 - Add ability to close windows from app,
2 - Implement CarKey - I don't want it to be NFC - would be cool if the current KeyPass could be CarKey (via bluetooth only). I don't see much value in KeyPass as it is today - if it works (meaning I have just recently opened the MyChevy app), all it does is turn the lights on when I approach it - meh - could be so much more.
3 - On the center display in the car (and in the app) it would be cool to have a Find Charger feature - maybe EA, plugshare, charge point, et al, has APIs that could be called to do this.
4 - not app related - but I would LOVE a glass or pano sunroof - PLEASE! Pass this on to the appropriate product team.

Thanks.

Hope this helps - Look forward to seeing updates.

161 - 180 of 219 Posts