Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

MyChevrolet Mobile App - Feedback Needed!

25K views 230 replies 52 participants last post by  Entropy512 
#1 ·

Hello! I'm Chris F. and I work for General Motors. I'm a user experience researcher on the design team that works on mobile apps and websites. We are working on new concepts for the MyChevrolet mobile app and need input from Bolt EV drivers that use the mobile app. Your input will help us better understand your needs and give us insights into how to make the app better for EV owners.

Click here to give your input -->

The Details:
We're collecting feedback by asking you to record your experience on your mobile phone and answer some questions. You'll be asked to share your screen as you show us how you use the mobile app on your phone. The session should take about 15 minutes.

The link below will show you how to record your screen and voice so we can see and hear your experience. It's important to think aloud. Tell us why you're doing what you're doing, what you're expecting, and what you think about it. Don't be shy, we want to hear your thoughts!

Click the "Get Started" link when you have the time and are in a quiet, distraction-free place. Once you've clicked the link, make sure to get started within 30 minutes or the session will expire. You can take as much time as you need to complete the recording.

Follow this link to the session: Get Started

Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: UserTesting 3153402

If you run into an issue email support@usertesting.com with My Recruit in the subject line, and/or contact me - Chris Farnum, christopher.farnum@gm.com

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would love to participate in something like this (since I'm somewhat of a smartphone geek) if I could get the app to even connect. I had it working at one point, but have since been unable to use the workaround that once got me connected and have just given up. I think a lot of users run into the same thing where they can't even use the app to be able to give any feedback.

#9 ·
I will NOT install an app just to leave you feedback. You will accept the feedback here as well if you value ALL of your users.

First off the MyChevrolet app is a HUGE piece of garbage. The interface is extremely dated and boring. It takes FOREVER to connect to the vehicle and it does not work half the time in CarPlay. The functions are TOO basic. We want MORE CHOICES. We want to be able to adjust the heat/AC remotely, we want the ability change/edit the radio station lists, we want the ability to view videos while the car is ONLY in charge mode, we want the ability to use the AC/Radio without the car being on.

and most of all....WE DO NOT WANT THE RADIO TO COME ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!!!!!!

I believe that we ALL agree on that last one at least.

#11 ·
Good list. I would say I also would sure like to be able to connect to my car to do all these things using wifi when my car and my phone are on the same wifi network. No reason this shouldn't be possible unless you are trying to force the user to purchase an OnStar subscription.

#12 ·
I have an iPhone 10. No problems with the app other than not really seeing what it’s good for.

It was not needed to learn how the key fob works.
It was somewhat helpful looking at the “how things work “ section. But don’t need that anymore.
The owners manual is good to have in case the interior light stops working and I can’t read the paper manual.
No thanks to KeyPass. At this point I know where the car is parked, maybe if I get dementia.
I got all the accessories I want so that is useless.
Maintenance: what maintenance?
I have yet to decide if I want to continue the Onstar. I guess it would be worthwhile if I have zero bars on the iPhone, but otherwise I already have everything I need in the iPhone.
And let’s see, local dealership. Yeah, got that # in my phone contacts so I think I’m good.

What else can it do?

Suggestion: how about a charging network map? Like Plugshare. Or I can just use Plugshare.

I ran out of ideas.

#16 ·
Excellent feedback, all! Based on some of your comments so far, you are definitely validating the need to improve the app, which is the reason behind this research effort. If you don't have the app installed on your phone, I do appreciate the feedback you are writing in this thread. If you do have the app installed and functioning, it would be great if you could participate using the link above.

For those having trouble connecting the app to your vehicle, if you haven't done so already, one of the best first steps you can take is to contact an OnStar Advisor and ask for assistance by pressing the non-emergency OnStar button in your vehicle. I'll also check in with my team and find out if there are any other good tips or ways to get assistance.

#19 ·
When I have the chance, I'll definitely log in and give my feedback. Heck, I could probably spend an hour on the app; however, in a global sense, the first feedback I would give is that it's going to be difficult to comment on omissions. Further, most of my actual issues with the MyChevy app involve its integration with Android Auto, which I don't know would come up in this feedback session. I think the Energy Assist route planner is possibly one of the best available for the Bolt EV, but it doesn't integrate well with Android Auto or port to the main screen well. Again, things that wouldn't come up in this feedback session.

In terms of omissions, not having an instant status view of the car and its systems is frustrating. I can tell the tire pressure, battery percentage, and when the car is charging, but I can't tell when the AC is on, what the cabin temperature is (important for dog owners), whether the doors are locked, the current power usage of various systems (e.g., battery and cabin conditioning), the current battery temperature, etc. There's also no option for setting charge settings remotely Hilltop Reserve, Target Charge Limit, TOU, departure time, 120 V power level at 8 A versus 12 A, etc.There's also very limited historical data, such as recent efficiency, charge sessions, trip data, charging history breakdowns, regenerative braking energy recouped, etc.

I know that many of these things might appear as trivial or nice-to-haves, but they are the types of things that also build interest in and curiosity about EVs.

#20 ·
When I picked up the Bolt last November, I had the trial of On Star and tried the app. As I got used to the vehicle, I checked in on the app and found the experience slow frustrating. For example, I wanted to do the pre-conditioning so it wouldn't be so cold when I got in (in my garage), but it was just easier to use the key to start it up.
One thing that would have been helpful is have the app Car Play enabled so that the map with charging stations could be displayed on the screen.
Even though I made this suggestion, I'm still unlikely to use it. When I used to use the app, I saw on a map in the app where it showed my driving habits and high speed along with the location of where it happened. Once I saw that, I deactivated On-Star, unsubscribed from everything I could from the app and online, and deleted the app. I know google and Apple already know way too much, but I didn't need GM monitoring my driving habits, especially without context.
This is a trend among many manufacturers and unfortunately is pushing me towards a more "dumb" vehicle from a decade or two ago. I think I'm too young to shake my fist at the sky, but I'm practicing.

#28 ·
View attachment 30178
Hello! I'm Chris F. and I work for General Motors. I'm a user experience researcher on the design team that works on mobile apps and websites. We are working on new concepts for the MyChevrolet mobile app and need input from Bolt EV drivers that use the mobile app. Your input will help us better understand your needs and give us insights into how to make the app better for EV owners.

Click here to give your input -->

The Details:
We're collecting feedback by asking you to record your experience on your mobile phone and answer some questions. You'll be asked to share your screen as you show us how you use the mobile app on your phone. The session should take about 15 minutes.

The link below will show you how to record your screen and voice so we can see and hear your experience. It's important to think aloud. Tell us why you're doing what you're doing, what you're expecting, and what you think about it. Don't be shy, we want to hear your thoughts!

Click the "Get Started" link when you have the time and are in a quiet, distraction-free place. Once you've clicked the link, make sure to get started within 30 minutes or the session will expire. You can take as much time as you need to complete the recording.

Follow this link to the session: Get Started

Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: UserTesting 3153402

If you run into an issue email support@usertesting.com with My Recruit in the subject line, and/or contact me - Chris Farnum, christopher.farnum@gm.com

Thanks for your help!
The moment I have time for the video, I’ll give you the feedback, definitely!

But, here is what I would like to see in the app (and can’t do it for now):
  • input the SOC % limit (from 40% to 100%) instead of being forced to do it in the car;
  • the change from 8A to 12A to be done on the fly, meaning that I shoudn't have to unplug and plug back again the car once I changed the charging level on a L1 connection through the app;
  • sometimes when connected through CarPlay, there is a spinning wheel that persists in the middle of the screen, even though everything works. Eliminating this behavior would be great from the user experience perspective;
  • adding the charging stations that are made available in a rigorous way. I still see DCFC charging stations that are not listed in the app.
I use the application every time and I absolutely love it. Being able to program the charging session by modifying on the fly the time to end or start the charge, being able to start the preconditioning without being forced to have the car in the range of the key fob, being able to send to Maps or Google Maps the itinerary from the route planing is awesome. Having an input about what will be the % SOC at the arrival to a DCFC is awesome too. While charging, I like to see in real time % SOC and knowing the % left in the battery once I am in the "orange" is awesome !

#30 ·
For all the folks that say they don’t like the App trust me it’s worth taking the time to figure out how to make it work. I used it twice this weekend - once after putting my key in my backpack and my backpack in the trunk and locking that inside the car. App unlocked the car and I was on my way. Second was coming back from said hike, stopped for a minute and started the preconditioning so when I got back to the car it was nice and cool inside. Both hiking partners remarked how cool that was and I had to agree. Simple things yes but important to me.
I do like the energy assist app but haven’t used it driving but intend to as that seems to have improved as well.

#33 ·
I need to go back and try the app again, I haven't used it much lately because I found it frustratingly slow and not worth bothering with. My apologies for dragging Tesla into this discussion, but I think it is needed. And sorry, I know this is more than what you asked for but I'm going to spout off anyway.

Owning both a Tesla Model 3 and a Bolt, I find Chevy's implementation to be frustrating and a kludge.

With Chevy you have:
MyChevrolet app
KeyPass on top of that
OnStar

With Tesla you have:
Tesla app

The Tesla app basically handles what Chevy has broken down into three different systems with their own barriers to entry and setup. Granted on the Model 3 you do have to pair your phone to your car, just like with the Bolt, but after that it handles everything without additional hassles. It just works.

When I bought my Tesla I had the app already installed. I signed the paperwork and by the time I walked out to the car it was communicating with my phone. I paired my phone over Bluetooth and told it to use it as a key, and I'm done. That was 5 months ago and I haven't had to fiddle with anything since then.

When I bought my Bolt I had to sit and talk to an OnStar rep for probably 20 minutes as they tried to sell me the service and set up wifi and tell me about the system. They wanted my credit card info (I didn't give it) so that I could continue to be charged after the trial. After dealing with Chevy's salesmen all day to get a reasonable price on the car I had to deal with more sales people after I had purchased the car. No thanks.

I managed to get KeyPass to work somehow on my Pixel 3, but I never really use it because it is slow to connect and is finicky. I will occasionally have problems with the Model 3 connecting via Bluetooth, but it is much less frequent and it is much faster and more reliable.

Tesla does make you pay $10/month after a year if you want satellite maps, real time traffic, and music video streaming, but these are things the Bolt doesn't have at all. So I have to pay for OnStar to get features my Tesla already has. On the other hand giving the same money to Tesla each month gives me features that are cool but I could live without, and that the Bolt doesn't offer. OnStar seems like you're paying for something that was cool 20 years ago. Voice assisted turn by turn navigation that I have to press a button and talk to someone to enable? Really? I turn the map's voice assist off on my phone, no way am I going to pay for it. When I show someone by Bolt do you think I say "Look at this cool OnStar feature I have to pay for!"

So my advice is to get GM to fundamentally reassess what they are trying to accomplish and how you go about it. There should be a MyChevrolet app. That's it. Ditch OnStar, ditch KeyPass. Buy a Chevy, install the app, and you're done. If you want extras, purchase them in the app.

If Chevy doesn't do this, they should have a Tesla and other competitor's vehicles available to employees in your position so you can experience first hand what your competitors are doing. You should be able to spend a week driving what the competition has. That might be as good of a learning experience as coming here and asking what we want. I'm not saying don't ask us, but experience it yourself and you'll figure out a lot of this on your own.

Yes, that's a tall order and easier said than done, but this is 2020 not 2000.

#34 ·
I don't fully agree. OnStar does far more than just gather data, so I actually prefer that it is an outside system. After all, does your Tesla automatically call first responders?

In actuality, outside of some basic functionality, GM's system an the MyChevy app is not that different than Tesla. Your Tesla app is nothing more than a gateway to the car's computer, so it is also redundant. Essentially, the issue with the MyChevy app is not that OnStar exists; it's that you can't get all of the data from OnStar fully ported over to the app. Further, you can't interface directly with all the car's systems like you can with the Tesla app, but OnStar isn't what is preventing that.

As far a KeyPass, yes, I agree that it's redundant, and I never used it. The MyChevy app should be able to handle and manage all of those things on its own, plus some.

#39 ·
Or, as @NewsCoulomb had suggested earlier in the thread, an instantaneous fully-refreshed screen should be the norm upon clicking on the Vehicle Status button on the app, rather than putting the onus on the user to refresh. Refresh would be useful if one were to, say, put more air into the tires and whatnot. The vehicle’s actual current status should ideally be the one that’s displayed, not the last version of the car when you last refreshed.

#40 ·
I'm lost here. When in the car, I do get a notification on my watch that MyChevrolet is monitoring the car, but I don't know what that really means. There is nothing that displays on the main screen and there is no option to view MyChevrolet on the screen either. If I do anything with my phone and the car, it is to use Android Auto, and that doesn't list MyChevrolet or Energy Assist as something I can view on the screen. I think the only thing I could do is to bring up Energy Assist on the phone, but I'm not sure what good that would do. Am I going to look at a small screen and try to make sense of it while I'm driving? I can hardly do that with the big screen. I've played around with Energy Assist on my phone, but it really seems like just a fun little toy, not something that is useful. I tried to get it to plan a route from Oregon to Florida, it failed. Said it wasn't possible. Hmm.... Maybe I'm just missing something. It might be something for a copilot to play with, but I don't see how it is useful for a driver.

#42 ·
An app for communicating with my GM vehicle shouldn't be dependent on paying a third party a monthly fee. I've owned five brand new Chevy vehicles in the past thirty years. I've paid zero money to OnStar. I think it's absurd to pay $15 month ($180 a year) to be able to see my tire pressure and open my doors. I should be able to walk up to my vehicle, grab the door handle, wait a few seconds for my phone to connect to bluetooth, then unlock my doors. For $180, I'll call a locksmith in the rare occasion that I might lock my keys in my vehicle. I haven't done that in 30 years, don't know why I would start now.

#50 ·
Hmm, so I just got lucky and have free OnStar when everyone else is paying? I guess I shouldn't complain, but that wasn't my understanding. My understanding is that every Chevrolet customer gets at least the basic OnStar functionality for free. If you want to pay extra for additional features, you can, but that's not what's required for the MyChevy app as far as I know. Setting up an OnStar account is most definitely free.

#51 · (Edited)
They have changed that back and forth a few times, they may be back to offering basic for free (perhaps why keypass is dead for 2020).

They do try and upsell you hard on onstar, and try to convince you that the app will not work if you cancel onstar after your trial period... without mentioning that instead of canceling when your free "full blown" onstar trial ends you can downgrade to basic for free and still have app function. It is shady AF, and they almost caught me on that scam.

Keith

<edit> If you go to the onstar website right now, they imply that the 10 years of connected access you get for free does not include app support... but it may supply it but not mention it. I just logged into onstar and it says I have basic and says what is available with basic... it does NOT list app functionality in that list of available services... but I do have app functionality. It lists an upgrade to the "remote access plan" for 15 / month that will provide app functionality. </edit>

#52 ·
Hi all- Again, this is a great conversation and I really appreciate all of the input.

I just want to fill in a couple of gaps based on questions I've seen: Energy Assist does have a "projection" mode when you plug in via a USB cable in your vehicle (Android Auto and Carplay). You can interact with the map and play routes both on your phone and on your infotainment screen.

Here are a couple of sources on energy assist functionality for you:

Of particular interest: "GM is now displaying dynamic data from charging networks EVgo and ChargePoint within Energy Assist, so Bolt EV owners can have a more seamless charging experience with their GM vehicles. Information provided by charging networks includes real-time data on charge station status to indicate if a charging station is available."

Here's a high level overview with screenshots of EA on the phone. (doesn't show projection)

And here's a page that shows the complete feature list for the MyChevrolet mobile app for Bolt Owners.

Finally, here's the link again to the online research study. If you are able spend 5 to 15 mins, it would be great to get your input there. Thanks to all who have already participated!

#56 ·
Thanks, the Energy Assist enhancements were never really clear to me, I tried using it in vehicle with Carplay and couldn't see how to plan a route and follow it onscreen. So, apparently (the video glosses over the projection part), you plan in advance on your phone, then start the route while plugged in to USB and off you go?

Also was not clear on the EVGo link, my account is linked but didn't understand why. Now I know!

The other major networks, like Electrify America, would be great to capture dynamic data, and account linkage.

#57 ·
That OnStar guidance link suggests that when I bought my brand new Silverado in May of 2019 I should have received ten years of Remote Start, Remote Door Unlock, etc. for free. In fact, I think I received 30 days worth. Now, all it includes is Vehicle Diagnostics, Dealer Maintenance Notification, and Marketplace. Those are all marketing tools and will send you a boatload of spam advertising.

I'm suggesting that the gmauthority.com website is not up to date.

#59 ·
Fivedoor's link is to the actual OnStar website, so it sounds like they might now doing a 30-day Remote Access Plan. If this is in fact the case, that's the first thing to fix with the MyChevy app: It should no longer be reliant on OnStar. With the upcoming GM models transitioning to an on-board Android OS, the MyChevy app needs to ditch OnStar and transition into a direct portal to the car itself. Given that the Android OS will also need a data connection, that's something else that GM needs to address.

#62 ·
My app works great, always has on Android. And in the beginning the Keypass worked, but then GM took it away on the Android platform and recently brought it back. I have never been able to get the Keypass to 'pair' to my phone. I don't use the app, I use Alexa to precondition my car.

#64 ·
A lot of things being said here are no longer true.

There is only ONE application that gives you all you need, the same way there is only one Tesla application : MyChevrolet App. The OnStar application was made in the times of Volt, when Bolt EV wasn’t even born, and the OnStar application was replaced by MyChevrolet app. Full stop !
MyChevrolet app talks to the car either by wireless or BlueTooth connection with the system inside the Bolt EV.

Some Android phones have problems connecting to the Bolt EV through the app because each flavor of Android used in a phone version is custom made by the provider of the phone and not all the "pieces" of the system are put inside the OS. This is why you have certain Android phones who work with the app, and others don’t, no matter what you do. Blame the providers of the Android phones, not the developper of the app for this situation.

You don’t see the same thing with the iOS phones, because the system is the same, all the components needed by the app to connect are there in every phone, old or new.

#65 ·
I got into MyChevrolet from Android Auto today. I tried Energy Assist through that also. The biggest thing is that it is extremely slow. Maybe it's my phone, but Google requests, like "EV Charging Stations," go much quicker. I could find no way to do any route planning in Energy Assist on the car, but I can do it just on the phone, at least if it isn't connected. In my attempts to search around and get it to work, Android Auto, and all apps, froze completely. It must work a LOT better than this. PlugShare on the phone works fine. Android Auto works fine. Energy Assist doesn't. I can hardly imagine using it while traveling, and I would never pay a monthly fee for it, which I think happens after 3 years, if I remember correctly.

#70 · (Edited)
Would be nice to be able to adjust target charge % from the app. Would allow you to set it to charge to 40% before you fly out on a trip and then set it to charge to 90% before you board the plane back.

Would also be nice to stop charging while on L2. I can tell the car to charge now but not stop.

#80 ·
One thing about the rewards program on the app, I lost my 20,000 points for new vehicle purchase. It wasn't clear that when you click on redeeem points, there would be a one month time limit on using them. We just got the car and didn't know what we wanted to use them on yet.

#185 ·
You're better off than I was!

I wasn't told about the whole program when I purchased the car... so I never linked an account, I was just using the app. You don't get the points until you log on the website and do some other work... so I never got the 20,000. When I figured it out and contacted GM, I was told that I waited too long to signup. How do you signup if you're not aware it's there?

#84 ·
Question for the OP:

Can you provide a link to sign up for Onstar?

I will sign up for basic.

The other packages are a gross overcharge AFAIC and I will not waste $ on it. The simple truth is that I don’t have it and get by just fine. That would be my formal suggestion for improvement for the app also. If a subscription is necessary by needing the advanced onstar packages, I will have to pass on both.

Customer loyalty is earned with goodwill, not expecting compensation at every turn. I already bought the car and accessories. Now I have to pay to use it too?????

#93 ·
Question for the OP:

Can you provide a link to sign up for Onstar?

I will sign up for basic.

The other packages are a gross overcharge AFAIC and I will not waste $ on it. The simple truth is that I don’t have it and get by just fine. That would be my formal suggestion for improvement for the app also. If a subscription is necessary by needing the advanced onstar packages, I will have to pass on both.

Customer loyalty is earned with goodwill, not expecting compensation at every turn. I already bought the car and accessories. Now I have to pay to use it too?????
Hi there - FYI/Disclaimer: I didn't mean to do any marketing with this post/thread. Also, I don't make the rules, but I'm happy to pass on the feedback. :)

For anyone interested in the using the app for the first time here are some things to know:
  • a GM Chevrolet Owner Center account - Loading... - your sign-in and password work for the owner website and the app are the same and there is no cost for this. Even without a paid plan, this can be valuable for doing various things including scheduling maintenance and finding support info.
  • You should also be able to create an account starting from the app.
  • If you have created an account previously, don't create a new one.
  • If your vehicle is not associated with your account, one of the easiest ways to remedy this is to press the OnStar button in your vehicle to car to speak to an advisor. You can also call.
  • The most basic plan allows you access to use the app for things like remote commands (e.g. locking/unlocking via a cellular connection to your vehicle, not KeyPass which is a separate thing.)
  • Many who bought a Bolt EV new from a dealer should have a multi-year "trial." If this has expired or if you don't have a trial because you bought yours used, you may be interested to see pricing details. There may be trial options available... again, the best way to find out is to press the Onstar Button or call.
  • Yes, the mobile app does contain some functionality even if you don't subscribe to a remote access plan. For example, you can schedule service, view the manual, and more.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks again for all the great conversation and interest!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.