Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded up from a Gen 2 Volt to a Bolt EV and noticed that the OnStar app connectivity to each vehicle is noticeably different.

On the Volt, I could use RemoteLink reliably for pulling vehicle info as well as FOB functions. On the Bolt, RemoteLink often times-out pulling information and would hard crash on my Android 5 phone (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact). MyChevrolet app doesn't crash but doesn't always get the latest info despite saying it updated "just a few minutes ago".

Oddly enough, the dealer hasn't removed my old Volt from my OnStar account and I can back-n-forth compare the performance when pulling vehicle info between my old Volt and my new Bolt. Again, RemoteLink will crash often and fail to pull an update from the Bolt but always succeeds in pulling info from my old Volt. MyChevrolet app works everytime from the Volt and never "misses" an update (I saw the tire pressure on my old Volt lowering throughout the night everytime I requested vehicle info). MyChevrolet app on my Bolt, however, occasionally misses an update: the vehicle info doesn't change despite the app saying it updated less than a minute ago. Manually refreshing one or more times will result in actual information being pulled such as increased SOC or dropping tire PSI throughout the night.

Has anyone else similar connectivity issues when using RemoteLink or the MyChevrolet Android apps?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I've started noticing that my Bolt routinely fails to get vehicle info about 10 minutes after running or doing an OnStar remote unlock/lock or precondition. Is this normal? This happens in both the RemoteLink and the myChevrolet apps. I haven't updated the RemoteLink app yet since it now asks for Camera permissions and from what others have said, it looks exactly like the myChevrolet app now. I made sure myChevrolet app is current, though. It's so weird that I have to unlock/lock or precondition the car then immediately request vehicle info to get charge level.

I'm going to mention this to my tech next time I visit. My old 2017 Volt never had this issue and would work 99% of the time when I requested vehicle info--no funny unlock/lock via OnStar needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MyChevrolet app is definitely buggy. Two most obvious issues for me are 1) that it more often than not takes several tries to get it to update info from my Bolt (even though it will say it has been updated), and 2) the almost daily completely inaccurate "Low Energy Alert: your vehicle is getting out of range" notifications. I got one this morning while my Bolt is sitting in my garage, fully charged and plugged in. Don't know if the two issues are related.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't think so. I still have my old Volt tied to my OnStar account for some reason. I can pull vehicle info from it whenever I want and regardless of the time of day. When I pull the info from my Bolt, it literally won't work until I issue a key FOB command like LOCK or PRECONDITION followed by a vehicle info request. This is a key FOB command from the myChevrolet app and not using the physical key FOB.

It's like the OnStar module goes to sleep after vehicle activation or a key FOB command. I think I might have to mention this to my service adviser as well.

As for your "Low Energy Alert", I think it's an entirely different issue. Sounds like a message from the Bolt is not translated properly by the OnStar service which is passing it off to the myChevrolet app as "Low Energy". It could also be a delayed message on OnStar's part. I've noticed many times that the plugin reminder text alerts and charge complete text alerts don't always arrive on-time. I set my plugin reminder for 7pm and sure enough, I get text messages 0-15 minutes after 7pm. Charge complete messages, sometimes they come through immediately as I watch the green dash indicator turn solid. Other times, I'm literally driving to work and I get the charge complete message 0-30 minutes later.

OnStar on the Bolt is finicky. I wonder if current Volt owners have started having OnStar or myChevrolet issues recently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts