Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Navigating (Forum, not highway) + 1 charging ??

Hey experienced guys/gals (like Super Moderators DaV8or & bro1999 and Senior Members Bazinga & jostafew):

I am sure when we new guys start a thread, some of you occasionally say "Man, we covered that many months ago!" Do we have an index (alphabetic, by date, or some other identifier) of threads still onsite, even if not active, current, or with new posts?

My current question is this: Say I am going on a 238 mile trip, want to drive 70 mph for the first half, and wish/plan to add one "peace of mind" charge enroute. I know if I plan to use a DCFC station that the lower the battery SoC, the more rapid the gaining of energy/miles. In this case I plan to place the DCFC nearer to the end of the trip, say 150 miles "down the road". {Plus, if expected range remains high, I "may" get to skip the charging stop.}

If I have only Level 2 charging available, how much does that SoC affect charging rate? Should I place the stop toward the end of the trip, as above, or (to coincide with a normal meal time) can I drive 48 miles and charge with 80% still in the batts?

We use a "round figure" of 25 miles per charging hour (mpch) for 30-amp Level 2 charging, but DCFC charge rates drop off significantly from the 1st 30 minute charge to the 3rd 30 minute charge (and don't even talk about a 4th 30 minute charge when you may add only 20-25 miles in 30 minutes). Is that 25 mpch only applicable at the beginning of a 1 hour L-2 charge, or pretty consistent throughout? is that 25 mpch affected much by whether your SoC is 20% vs 80%?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I am "stretching an old thread"!

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
L2 charge rate s not affected by SOC. It will always be 7.2 kW.....unless the charging station does not pump out 32 amps and 240 Volts. Lots of commercial stations are only 208V, so keep that in mind.

Also, if the thermal management system kicks on while charging, the charging rate will be decreased some.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do we have an index (alphabetic, by date, or some other identifier) of threads still onsite, even if not active, current, or with new posts?
There's a search function in the top right corner. Returns good results in my experience but I suppose it could be difficult to find what you're looking for if there isn't that specific keyword that will make the threads jump out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts