Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen many complaints on here about not having a lighted charger bay. Here's a guy who bought a tesla charger and changed the plug over to j1772. Along the way he found that they run 3.3v down the cable to run their little door opener transmitter... and he wired that to an LED. Now the charge cord has a light built in. Another perk... the tesla portable EVSE is $300 ( https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...odel-s_x_3-gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle.html )and charges at a 32 amps.

This is much better than the chevy supplied portable charger... this one supplies up to 7kw for your Bolt. i think I'd rather than this one floating around the back of my car.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-model-s-umc-cut-open-and-modified-to-j1772.16783/

·
Registered
315 Posts
Perhaps if I could go back in time I would buy a Tesla EVSE, but I am quite happy with the 40 amp charger I bought from OpenESEV.

I bought it in kit form and put it together myself, I always liked learning something new.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
IO don't need a lighted charge handle in my garage, and this doesn't address public charging. It might come in handy at an RV park.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've seen many complaints on here about not having a lighted charger bay. Here's a guy who bought a tesla charger and changed the plug over to j1772. Along the way he found that they run 3.3v down the cable to run their little door opener transmitter... and he wired that to an LED. Now the charge cord has a light built in. Another perk... the tesla portable EVSE is $300 ( https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...odel-s_x_3-gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle.html )and charges at a 32 amps.
Have these gotten a lot cheaper in the last year? When I was looking for an EVSE 14 months ago, I shopped these, and seem to remember them being more like $500 from Tesla, plus the J1772 conversion (or adapter).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THey have two models of the same portable charger.... one rated at 32amps and one rated at 50amps.... the difference is one is $300 and teh other $500. But Bolt owners dont need the 50amp version.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
To get the light, the Tesla Tap (Tesla to J1772 adapter) will not work. I, too, plug in 99% of the time in the garage or, if away, in daylight. AND, after plugging in over 99 times, I can do it in the dark.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There's also this really new thing called a flashlight - it works great. I also have an LED keyfob light (you can buy them at any 'dollar store' or Safeway).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perhaps if I could go back in time I would buy a Tesla EVSE, but I am quite happy with the 40 amp charger I bought from OpenESEV.

I bought it in kit form and put it together myself, I always liked learning something new.
And what one learns is: they're not that complicated!

I like my OpenEVSE too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
And what one learns is: they're not that complicated!

I like my OpenEVSE too.
What I learned was, someone without any electrical knowledge could easily follow the instructions put this thing together and wire a new circuit to use it..

You are never too old to learn something new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.