Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Not likely to happen. I think even Teslas don't offer this and they just announced they will give access to their blackbox recorder data. Whether that includes video footage, no clue.

So I doubt GM will offer this. Best bet is get your own dash cam. They're not hard to install and those micro SD cards can survive crashes even if the cameras don't.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It's just absurd that the Bolt or any other car with built in cameras for driver-assist type features doesn't let you use those cameras as a dash cam.

I put in a Mini 0906 dual dash cam in mine and my wife's Subaru.

We had a dash cam in my son's truck and when he was involved in a minor accident last year the footage made the whole "fault' thing effortless, as soon as the other drivers insurance company saw the video they automatically accepted all fault.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There is a post on this forum somewhere describing the installation of a dash cam. It looked like anyone with reasonable mechanical competence and some simple hand tools (including a soldering iron) could perform the installation. I plan on doing it myself some time soon.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There is a post on this forum somewhere describing the installation of a dash cam. It looked like anyone with reasonable mechanical competence and some simple hand tools (including a soldering iron) could perform the installation. I plan on doing it myself some time soon.
When I did this I had a fair amount of trouble, the plastic panel behind the mirror on the premier is huge, could not route my power adapter through it without having the dash cam hanging several inches below the panel. As it is the dash cam is completely in view of the driver which is pretty aggravating. I had to actually remove the mirror and the plastic panel and cut a notch in it to allow me to mount my dash cam directly underneath the panel.

For power I ended up using vampire taps on the two wires that the person in the thread you were talking about, but there's not much room there and very little slack in those wires. If I were to do it over again I would have just wired it to the fuse box with an add a fuse.

Running the wire for the rear camera wasn't that bad comparatively, I just had to pop off the plastic trim pieces at the back of the car and the drivers door and snaked a piece of solid core copper house wiring through the headliner till it poked out near the drivers door, then use that house wire to pull the camera wire through the headliner. I do like having a camera facing backwards as well as forwards.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Lamest collision I've seen. Was the guy on his phone?
People get stupid in parking lots. Including myself. Last year I backed into a black pickup that was sitting in a black parking lot with a setting sun in the background. Swear it was a freaking stealth bomber and still couldn't see it after I hit it and knew something had to be there. This is one of the reasons I got the Bolt with the 360 view. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We had a dash cam in my son's truck and when he was involved in a minor accident last year the footage made the whole "fault' thing effortless, as soon as the other drivers insurance company saw the video they automatically accepted all fault.
Had a dash cam in my Plug-In-Prius when someone backed in to it (I was parked at the time).
I sent the video to his insurance the next day, they settled that day!
Couldn't have been easier, no "he said/she said", finger-pointing, etc... got the check in about a week IIRC.

Reactions: quirkySquirt

·
Registered
10 Posts
[QUOTE = "raitchison, publicación: 357177, miembro: 23017"]
Cuando hice esto, tuve muchos problemas, el panel de plástico detrás del espejo en el premier es enorme, no podía pasar mi adaptador de corriente a través de él sin tener la cámara del tablero colgando varias pulgadas debajo del panel. Como es, la cámara del tablero está completamente a la vista del controlador, lo que es bastante agravante. Tuve que quitar el espejo y el panel de plástico y cortar una muesca para permitirme montar la cámara del tablero directamente debajo del panel.

En cuanto al poder, terminé usando grifos de vampiro en los dos cables de los que hablaba la persona en el hilo del que estabas hablando, pero no hay mucho espacio allí y muy poca holgura en esos cables. Si tuviera que hacerlo de nuevo, lo habría conectado a la caja de fusibles con un fusible adicional.

Pasar el cable de la cámara trasera no fue tan malo comparativamente, solo tuve que quitar los adornos de plástico en la parte trasera del automóvil y la puerta del conductor y serpenteé un pedazo de cableado de cobre sólido de la casa a través del techo hasta que tocó. cerca de la puerta del conductor, luego use el cable de la casa para pasar el cable de la cámara a través del techo interior. Me gusta tener una cámara mirando hacia atrás y hacia adelante.
[/CITAR]

Hola Raitchison, ¿podrías pasarnos algunas fotos de tu trabajo, pueden ser muy útiles, saludos!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts