Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I was hoping someone could help me figure out what is going on. I have a Juicebox Pro installed in my garage and my Bolt is plugged in whenever it is in the garage. My daily commute is 130 miles per day and I charge to 100% every night due to the winter temps here in northern New England. I’ll go to hilltop reserve once warmer outside temps allow for it. My current charging settings on the car are time of departure with Time-Of-Use set up as 7am-8pm for peak and 8pm—7am for off-peak. My Juicebox Pro is set to basically the same settings. On cold mornings I’ll turn on preconditioning to warm up the cabin with the hope that it’ll use electricity from the Juicebox. I’ll then go into the Juicebox app on my phone and look at the current electricity usage page where it’ll show that 0 amps are being drawn from the Juicebox. I have tried changing the Bolt to the “Immediate” charging setting with the thought that I could let the Juicebox handle all of the timing required for proper off-peak charging...but the result is the same...when I precondition the car the Juicenet app shows a 0 amp draw. To further confuse the situation, I’ve seen the preconditioning work properly in the past and draw amps from the Juicebox...about 10 amps...but I have foolishly made changes to the settings on the car and now I can’t figure out what I did and can’t figure out how to change it back. Outside of the preconditioning issue, everything regarding charging works perfectly with my setup.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this issue?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Around what time are you triggering your preconditioning? I have no problem with departure time set to 7am, and triggering preconditioning at about 7:50am.

It feels like you've got too many variables, too many things that might be blocking power at once. My suggestion is that you simplify. Turn off peak/off-peak settings in both your car and your JuiceBox. Use departure time only, and set it to 7am (so it should finish charging just as off-peak ends. If that's working, then you might consider defining peak/off-peak times in one of the two (not both).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to run the preconditioning at about 8:15am...so I’m into the peak time. But I thought the car was supposed to draw power for preconditioning from the wall anytime it is plugged in...

Okay, I’ll turn off all TOU settings on the car and change it to based on departure...which I’ll make 5:30am, as I do occasionally leave for work as early as 5:45am. I’ll likewise turn off all of the TOU settings on the Juicebox.

Your suggestion is making me think more clearly about all of this. Meaning, I’ll bet my problems are being caused by the TOU settings in the Juicebox, and that any time I’ve seen the preconditioning draw power from the wall and work properly...it was likely because I probably did the check during one of my early departure mornings when I was still in off-peak time according to the Juicebox.

I’ll let you know how it goes...thank you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Meaning, I’ll bet my problems are being caused by the TOU settings in the Juicebox, and that any time I’ve seen the preconditioning draw power from the wall and work properly...it was likely because I probably did the check during one of my early departure mornings when I was still in off-peak time according to the Juicebox.
This seems very likely to me. While the car knows if you're trying to charge or precondition, all the Juicebox knows is that you're trying to draw power at an expensive time of day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was it...the Juicebox TOU settings were overiding the settings of the Bolt. All Juicebox settings are now off and everything is working perfectly...thanks for your assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts