·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
The EUV dual level EVSE has a very short power plug. I just need a little more slack to plug in the EVSE into my 220v outlet with a 50amp breaker. Will this work?
Does the EUV dual level EVSE have a temperature sensor in the plug? If you use an extension cord, you'll lose the benefit of that sensor automatically shutting off the EVSE if the outlet overheats.

Having said that, it would "work." You'll get lengthy arguments from some forum members about why it is or is not safe.

Another alternative is a short J-1772 extension. It's more expensive, but it would maintain the function of the temperature sensor (if the GM dual-level EVSE has one), and it could also be used for public chargers if someone is parked in the EV charging spot, or the cable can't quite reach, etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should clarify, it's not the overall length that is too short. It's just the way my outlet is and the short power plug of the EVSE makes it hard to plug in. I need the power plug end just a tad longer.

I'm not sure if it has the temp sensor, as I have yet to plug it in to use it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
Sorry, I should clarify, it's not the overall length that is too short. It's just the way my outlet is and the short power plug of the EVSE makes it hard to plug in. I need the power plug end just a tad longer.

I'm not sure if it has the temp sensor, as I have yet to plug it in to use it.
Are you mounting the EVSE and finding that you have to bend the cord in a U shape to plug in? That happens with other EVSEs - the 1 foot power cord seems to be a standard. Some people have installed their outlet upside down for that reason.

Beyond that, I'm having a hard time visualizing why you can't plug in the EVSE. Whatever the reason, I suppose the short extension cord would work - can't think of any options that would use your existing outlet and the existing EVSE.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Camco and RVGuard are both well reviewed/rated brands with a decently long track record of providing good products. Many people will say to never use an extension cord; generally safe advice but sometimes unavoidable.

As with all high amperage/high voltage things, you should load test them under observation for 1-2hrs. For example, when I had my Grizzl-E installed with the outlet, I plugged the car in and allowed it to charge for 1-2hrs while I organized/cleaned the garage. Every 20-30mins I went over and hit the outlet with an Infrared Thermometer (which is also super handy for ensuring proper griddle temperature for pancakes and bacon !) to look at temperature increase of the outlet, conduiting, power cable in, and power cable out compared to ambient wall 2-4' away. I also handled the cables to feel for hotspots. The outter jacket was rated to 105*Celsius and the cable never got above 35*C/95*F (if it's even accurate/properly calibrated. Regardless, I noted a 15*F temperature rise compared to the wall so even if the numbers aren't accurate, the delta between ambient and cable should be accurate enough).

The electrician did mount my outlet either upside down or rightside up depending on how the grizzl-e wanted power. You could look at flipping your outlet upside down ?

Wood Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Gas Tool

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is exactly the problem. I either have to bend the cord into a U, which may not even be enough, or I need to flip the outlet. I thought it might be easier to just get the extension.

I'm not really savvy when it comes to electrical. Is it a simple task to flip the outlet outside down (or right side up?)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
Yes, that is exactly the problem. I either have to bend the cord into a U, which may not even be enough, or I need to flip the outlet. I thought it might be easier to just get the extension.

I'm not really savvy when it comes to electrical. Is it a simple task to flip the outlet outside down (or right side up?)
I personally think so. Make sure the breaker is turned off at the panel first, and make sure the wires are correctly connected and secure when you reinstall the outlet. If you're uncomfortable with doing it, have a handyman or electrician do it.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts

It is a very simple task but you need to absolutely, unequivocally, make sure the breaker is off before you start messing with it. I recommend a voltage tester to confirm there is no juice flowing through it (basically a check and balance on the correct breaker is thrown). It is a relatively cheap tool that can help diagnose outlet issues in the house and also save your life. There is nothing difficult about changing the orientation of a 240v outlet. It has 4 wires on the back that you might need to remove to rotate it, but maybe not.

I think it could be a good learning opportunity, but you can certainly call a handyman or electrician to do it for you. Should not take very long at all.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Thank you both or the advice. I shut off the breaker and was able to actually rotate the outlet without disconnecting the wires. There were enough slack in there. All is good now.
Perfect ! So glad it worked out for you without you having to buy/use an extension cord or pay an electrician

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,389 Posts
Does the EUV dual level EVSE have a temperature sensor in the plug? If you use an extension cord, you'll lose the benefit of that sensor automatically shutting off the EVSE if the outlet overheats.

Having said that, it would "work." You'll get lengthy arguments from some forum members about why it is or is not safe.

Another alternative is a short J-1772 extension. It's more expensive, but it would maintain the function of the temperature sensor (if the GM dual-level EVSE has one), and it could also be used for public chargers if someone is parked in the EV charging spot, or the cable can't quite reach, etc.
Just to pick some nits...If you use an extension cord, you don't really "lose" the OEM EVSE plug's thermal protection. It just changes to monitoring the junction between the EVSE plug and the extension cord receptacle, rather than the junction of the OEM EVSE plug with the wall outlet receptacle.

The only time you'll actually lose the thermal protection is if you cut off the OEM EVSE plug, and replace it with a different one. I replaced all of mine with an L6-20P, and capped the two wires that used to go to the thermocouple. All of my adapters and extensions have L6-20Rs on them. This practically eliminates the issue of plugging a 120V appliance into a 240V adapter with a 5-15R on it. I say "practically" because any idiot can try hard enough to work around a safety feature in order to "accidentally" kill themselves. We can only hope that they hadn't reproduced yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts