Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like alot of folks on here I did not want to spend the money on the assembly from GM so I made my own.
the wire is holding it together until the silicone dried. I did this in about an hour yes less than 1 hour. There is a rubber gasket that can be moved and run the wires behind through the finder and under the hood then feed down to the plug on the wiring harness and wired it according to GM specs and bingo bango. It works as it should lights up when you open the door blinks when plugged in and charging and at full charge if still plugged in it shuts off. I have a video and more pics I will upload so yall can see how and what I did to make this happen.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know this is all backwards but I like to get to the meat and potatoes of it. I am not sure how to add the video yet as soon as I get it figured out or someone tells me I will post. Hope this helps someone out. I should say I bought the light on Amazon
it cost $21.99 I cut the end without the wire 20" then trimmed it to fit I believe it is 14" now. I have to put ends on the wire to work in the plug.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing this, specially the connection to the wiring harness. I had previously wired directly to the battery using a motion sensor to turn the LED strip on and off. I plan to switch to direct connecting to the harness. Could you share any additional pictures of the harness connection and the hardware you used to connect to the plug in?

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first photo shows the pins and water seals I used and removed. The white ones are the plugs that you push out with a paper clip the yellow ones or if you get another color no matter but make sure you put them on the new wire before you crimp the pins to the wire this is easily forgotten. The next photo is the cap that is on the plug that needs to be removed to access the back of the plug it has 4 clips that can be undone with a small screwdriver.Put it back on to protect the wires.
The last photo is how it will look after the battery is removed the battery tray can be unbolted and moved out of the way the ecm can be taken off of the tray and left plugged in the plug is highlighted and is about as far out as it will safely come up so not alot room to work with it. The arrow shows how I ran the wire remember run the wire before connecting it to the plug. I'm sorry I didn't get many photos or better details I was kinda in a hurry to get finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
53 Posts
Very interesting! so, no need to get anything reprogrammed for this to work? (I have a 2019 LT). I suppose this shouldn't have changed between the two MYs.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My video is to large I will take a new shorter one and get it on here later today

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car is a 2020 Premier and it worked without reprogramming. I have a buddy who is the service manager at a chevy dealership before I took this on I asked him what it might take to make it work. He said if it needed reprogramming it cost $100 for the flash and he said that was his cost without the labor but they would wave the labor for me. They have not done any for the Bolt but have for the Volt the tech said he had to flash the Volts but not sure if the Bolt would need it or not so this could mean that LT may need the flash and the way I under stand it this will just sink it to the charging status ie blinking in sequence with the dash light.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
459 Posts
Wow. I admire your abilities, but I know my limitations.
I don't mean to take anything away from what you've done but this is how I got a light at the charging port.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jerry and no worries I like how you did yours I posted this to show it really can be done without taking the wheel off dropping the splash shield. I have over 20 years experience in body shops so to me this is a small job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks again, Photo guy. I have ordered the green light cord and look forward to implementing this. Does the light turn on when you open the charge door?

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
grab a tube of silicone (this is what I used any brand will work) to seal up the space the wire makes behind the light and to hold it in place so road vibration doesn't make fall down.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT - Gunmetal Gray
66 Posts
Do those wires you connected it to only output 12V when the charger door is open?
If it's that easy, I'm doing this mod this weekend.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did not do a volt or amp test on the wires I will this weekend but this is how the dealer installs theirs. The light I used is 12v 5 amp and is working flawlessly I am thinking it is but like I said I will run a full test.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts