Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
If lighting is such a problem, there's always this solution...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
P7wang it really wasn't a problem I figured if I was going put a light in there I would make it a cool mod so the ice people would be jealous lol
Don't forget to add ground effects! :)

Actually, this may be a good way to keep rats from eating up your wires.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have to be honest I thought about doing that with rest of the light I have left and connecting with the charge port so the it flashes like the port. But I probably won't

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the great video. I have ordered the parts to do the same on my Bolt. I did notice that you have your inverter connected directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Other posters were suggesting connection of the negative to the ground connector rather than to the battery connection due to the way that the electronics measure discharge rates. Thanks again for your video. Hope my suggestion regarding the inverter connection helps. I connected mine to the ground with no issues.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for vote of confidence on the video Phuber. I've been running my inverter this way for a year now with no problems. I typically only run it for short periods of time. I run it without the ignition on for short runs and actually start the car for longer runs. I will check out the threads to see what everyone have to say what's the way to power it thanks again

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks for vote of confidence on the video Phuber. I've been running my inverter this way for a year now with no problems. I typically only run it for short periods of time. I run it without the ignition on for short runs and actually start the car for longer runs. I will check out the threads to see what everyone have to say what's the way to power it thanks again
I vote for the grounding bolt, it's just peeking up over the plastic cowling here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wired up the charge port light as you described and everything worked as you described. Thank you very much for your help. I had previously wired a light using a motion sensor and am glad to now have the official version in place.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Glad to hear it went so well for you phuber. I have seen your post about when you did it the first time and was tempted to doing the same thing before I dug into mine. Did you change the light to?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, I discarded all of my previous installation and started back from scratch. I found that the green neon light cord you specified fit perfectly in a gap around the charge port. Thanks again for your write up and videos.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Photo Guy: What about the "pins" used in your connection to the plug? I think you said Amazon, but there are a bunch of different pins on Amazon. Any more direction on type and installation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very well done!
For all those afraid to attempt this, because of lack of electrical skills... almost the same result can be achieved with a glow stick!

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The pins in this kit is what I used there is not a size listed. They are a little bit long but worked just fine for me. You could cut the end off to make the the same length. I just took a guess getting some and they worked. You will need the male pins. Wish I had a better answer.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm curious what colors everyone installed. Post some photos of your lighted port I think we all would love to see your mod. Even if you did your mod differently than how I did mine.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts