Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall when I went to Mammoth Lakes, the easiest DCFC route I found went through western Nevada (Carson City and Hawthorne). This was before the EA in Bridgeport came online

I just checked again recently on PlugShare and it looks like unfortunately the Hawthorne unit is not reliable. However, there are now nearby units in Shurz and Luning so I guess one isn't totally stuck. The unit in Tonopah that was broken all summer has also been fixed.

Meanwhile in eastern Nevada on I80, the West Wendover station is built, but seemingly also not quite reliable. Hopefully they can fix that one soon making the I80 route from SF to SLC possible in time for this winter.

Anyone else have news on EV charging in the Great Basin area?

Registered
I see a bunch of recent checkins at the West Wendover site. Looks like it's working fairly consistently. Anybody have any ideas why it seems to be limited to only 20kW?
Maybe it's just the limitation of the grid connection there? It's good to know that it's working, as it's the only way to consistently bridge that gap (until the EA site in West Wendover goes live).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe it's just the limitation of the grid connection there? It's good to know that it's working, as it's the only way to consistently bridge that gap (until the EA site in West Wendover goes live).
Yeah, that sounds likely I guess you might as well charge to 82% at Elko since that won't be any slower than the West Wendover charger. It's 100 miles with 5,500 feet of elevation gained and lost, so you probably will arrive with 30-40% charge. Then you'll need to charge to 55% or so to cover the 123 miles remaining to Salt Lake City. So basically a 45-60 minute stop. Not ideal but definitely doable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like Hawthorne is back online finally (ChargePoint shows 6 uses of the DCFC in the past week and there's a positive checkin on Plugshare).

Still see mixed reports re: West Wendover's DCFC.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems the West Wendover EA is now up. So SF to SLC via I-80 using only 350kW stations is possible. Wyoming is still mostly a black hole so far as charging goes, but otherwise...

Also Hawthorne and Tonopah are showing recent successful checkins (last couple of weeks), so hopefully western Nevada is set too

Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
Seems the West Wendover EA is now up. So SF to SLC via I-80 using only 350kW stations is possible. Wyoming is still mostly a black hole so far as charging goes, but otherwise...

Also Hawthorne and Tonopah are showing recent successful checkins (last couple of weeks), so hopefully western Nevada is set too
Wyoming, you have to bring a trailer with a coal powered steam engine to generate needed power. Otherwise you might get a ticket for not having emission. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.