Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just picked up a 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier.
I’ve always and still own American cars with V8 engines. (most of them are Chevrolet) I used to joke if anybody sees me in a mini van or an electric car, you can put a gun to my head and pull the trigger. I was raised “If you can’t afford Gas, you probably shouldn’t drive”. Can’t believe I own an Electric Car.
I’m going to like not having to use 30 gallons of fuel weekly going to work. I was real impressed it made The 182 mile trip home 99% freeway speed and it still had about 40 miles left.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Welcome!

I used to joke with my wife that if I ever buy a mini-van that she can kill me since my life is essentially over. Luckily, there were no electric cars back then!

·
Registered
525 Posts
No shame.

I bought my first EV after one particularly irritating daily driver - filler neck, gas tank (and fuel pump) , timing belt, valve cover gasket, cat, exhaust manifold gasket and of course broken studs, flex pipe job, a few other things I forgot about and said... know what? I'm done. Like, DONE done. I've logged too many hours greased to the elbows under a car in my relatively short lifetime.

I may at some future time engage in recreational wrenching, but not on a car that I NEED to run. Of course, I could have just bought a new car, but I'm not the kind of person to let somebody else do my light maintenance FOR me, so it was better to get an actual zero maintenance car.

Maybe one of these one day...

Go find a lake to drive to, pack my kids and every cousin we can find, legs baking to the seats. Maybe strap a couple of canoes to the top.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I may at some future time engage in recreational wrenching, but not on a car that I NEED to run.
Exactly. We've been a one car couple for decades, so it has to run. Doing preventative maintenance costs add up, replacing parts like a water pump because it might fail, etc.adds even more. The Bolt EV is great.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had nothing but American V8's prior to getting my Volt in 2017: two Corvettes, two Challengers, a couple Trans Ams before that. I went from a 2015 Challenger SRT to the Volt. The mind works differently when you get older. You tend to worry less about showing off and more about what makes you and others around you happy. I realized I was driving the Challenger like a normal car and even taking off slower than I probably would in a normal car because that car is so loud to begin with. Then I asked, "Why do I even have this car?"

Then to the Volt, I used one tank of gas in 2 years and in that time, never took a trip longer than 80 miles so it switched to gas only twice... but ran the gas engine periodically to keep it "maintained". I changed the oil once and while lying under the car draining the oil, I asked myself "Why do I even have this car?" I thought I'd need the gas backup but I didn't, and I still had the maintenance of an ICE. So I got a Bolt. Now, I don't think I could ever own an ICE vehicle again. Just the ability to constantly accelerate without the little bumps of gear shifts or the need for it to downshift when passing is enough to convince me, not to mention all the other benefits like one pedal driving and minimal maintenance.

Mike

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've been driving, building and restoring ICEs for sixty years. Now, for me, ICEs have become an interesting hobby which doesn't require being rationally justified.

Just as those who golf, keep horses or dogs; it can't be rationally justified; objectively a waste of money, obsolete for daily work needs and are polluting the planet. Fortunately, for the old car hobby, here in the USA, we're a few years away from rationality. In several Eurogreens, old cars have been effectively legislated out of existence; Belgium being the most recent.

jack vines

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought I'd need the gas backup but I didn't, and I still had the maintenance of an ICE. So I got a Bolt. Now, I don't think I could ever own an ICE vehicle again. Just the ability to constantly accelerate without the little bumps of gear shifts or the need for it to downshift when passing is enough to convince me, not to mention all the other benefits like one pedal driving and minimal maintenance.
I really thought about some of the plug in hybrids, particularly the Sonata plugin but you still have to maintain an engine. It is also one of the reasons I ruled out the I3, too little range without the aid of the range extenders (and by default engine maintenance). Too validate my purchase, I just spent $500 repairing out mini van, new plugs, coil, wire and oil change (for the first time, didn't do the work myself because I'm too old to spend my time barking my knuckles and contorting my arms into the rear bank of a transversely mounted V6 with no room). Also drove it for the first time since getting the Bolt...can't believe how sluggish it feels in comparison. After almost a month of the Bolt, really happy with my decision.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
and contorting my arms into the rear bank of a transversely mounted V6 with no room
crap, I've done that. the service manual said to pull the intake manifold to access the rear plugs. no way was I going to do that. thanks to the internet, there was a way to do it without pulling the intake manifold. one of the tips was to lock the parking brake so that you could put the van into gear and make the engine rock enough to make more room for your arms. put in platinum plugs, so that would be the last time I do that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I decided to change the plugs in my transverse V6 Ford Fusion around 110k miles. I had zero maintenance problems with the car up to that point, and always got the same mediocre gas mileage as when it was new. I just felt that I ought to do SOMETHING to "maintain" it after 10 years. I bought 6 "gapless" plugs and installed the front 3. As I was taking out the old ones, I couldn't see any difference between old and new - which is really fairly amazing IMHO. Then I got to the rear plugs and realized that I needed to remove the intake manifold to access them. I said "fork it", and now my son drives the car @ 140k miles with three new plugs and three old plugs. Anyone need to replace the plugs on their 3-cylinder ICE?

It really is amazing to me the positive difference those E-lectronic computers have made in automobile engines. I don't miss the old days in that regard - other than to show the yoots how good they've got it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I decided to change the plugs in my transverse V6 Ford Fusion around 110k miles. I had zero maintenance problems with the car up to that point, and always got the same mediocre gas mileage as when it was new. I just felt that I ought to do SOMETHING to "maintain" it after 10 years. I bought 6 "gapless" plugs and installed the front 3. As I was taking out the old ones, I couldn't see any difference between old and new - which is really fairly amazing IMHO. Then I got to the rear plugs and realized that I needed to remove the intake manifold to access them. I said "fork it", and now my son drives the car @ 140k miles with three new plugs and three old plugs. Anyone need to replace the plugs on their 3-cylinder ICE?

It really is amazing to me the positive difference those E-lectronic computers have made in automobile engines. I don't miss the old days in that regard - other than to show the yoots how good they've got it.
No more spark plug cleaners, gapping tools and feeler gauges.....yay!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hey congratulations and welcome @MacKayea ! I am a fellow gearhead from way back. Spent most of my days in high school in the auto shop, rebuilt a 1980 Z-28 just for fun, back then I could spend my disposable income on new carburetors, intake manifolds, ignition systems, etc... you get the point.

Those skills served me well for many years, maintaining and repairing old vehicles. Nothing I drove was new until recently. I was too cheap frugal to buy new and take the depreciation hit. In normal years I still go to cruise night and admire all the vehicles that show up, but the Bolt is such a blast to drive, I am addicted. I am on my second leased Bolt now and can't ever imagine going back to ICE. Enjoy your new ride and welcome :)

P.S. Anyone need a timing light or a Tach/dwell meter? PM me and I can hook you up ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I began to look into EVs (Tesla is cool but too pricey, Nissan Leaf too short of a range) and accidentally found the Bolt. As a mostly Chevy guy I thought the Volt was the EV. Google helped me on that correction. (Why didn't Chevy advertise this thing??)

I have a 108 mile a day commute and the 6.2 Camaro I have is flawless at 105,000 miles old...0 issues..but the cost is around 12 dollars a day on that trek at 23 mpg.

So I test drove a 2020 Bolt and I expected it to be underwhelming as I eyed the cheaper Chevy Spark. What about my Camaro? (200 HP Bolt vs 450ish HP Camaro? No way). Merging on the highway and acceleration were a concern for me and the Camaro had taken me to Texas and and back to Virginia...it's just a great performance car and daily driver at that.

Back to the Bolt test drive...I was stunned. The Bolt was zippy and in real world driving conditions it merged and drove better than my manual Camaro.

However, I got a 2017 not the 2020. Half the cost. Slightly less range. I'm ok with that.

EVs are the future for sure and I now know why. In 2 or 5 or 10 years...it'll be their world, not the ICE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I began to look into EVs (Tesla is cool but too pricey, Nissan Leaf too short of a range) and accidentally found the Bolt. As a mostly Chevy guy I thought the Volt was the EV. Google helped me on that correction. (Why didn't Chevy advertise this thing??)

I have a 108 mile a day commute and the 6.2 Camaro I have is flawless at 105,000 miles old...0 issues..but the cost is around 12 dollars a day on that trek at 23 mpg.

So I test drove a 2020 Bolt and I expected it to be underwhelming as I eyed the cheaper Chevy Spark. What about my Camaro? (200 HP Bolt vs 450ish HP Camaro? No way). Merging on the highway and acceleration were a concern for me and the Camaro had taken me to Texas and and back to Virginia...it's just a great performance car and daily driver at that.

Back to the Bolt test drive...I was stunned. The Bolt was zippy and in real world driving conditions it merged and drove better than my manual Camaro.

However, I got a 2017 not the 2020. Half the cost. Slightly less range. I'm ok with that.

EVs are the future for sure and I now know why. In 2 or 5 or 10 years...it'll be their world, not the ICE.
Similar reasons for me, was originally going to buy my "retirement" car (or as my teenage daughters said my mid life crisis car), came really close with Teslas but the thrifty side of me said that a Bolt is quite fun to drive and a lot expensive. Tesla is amazing in acceleration, but it is hard to beat a 2017 Bolt for less than $17K with a Bose stereo...I'll have to be careful or I will wear out the tires really fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd always had IC cars and manual transmissions up until our youngest was late in high school. My wife decided I could finally have a motorcycle or maybe I made her mad and she wanted to get rid of me. My fun vehicle stopped being my car and was my bike. After a starter bike I had a quick bike then moved to a pure sport bike CBR600RR, was in my late 50 when I got that. My youngest's VW Beetle did the VW thing and died. Needed a replacement so gave her my car and bought a 2013 Volt. It has been a great car but I would have never seen myself driving one. LOL only time I drove it to work was when it was too cold to ride or when I couldn't ride like after heart surgery or after my scooter crash when I shattered a kneecap and couldn't ride for 3 months. When I retired 3 years ago I decided I needed something to haul the grandkids around, haul stuff or haul one of my scooters (2 wheel kind not a mobility scooter) so I bought a white Ford Transit Connect which my younger daughter promptly named creeper white. Now I have a Bolt and a minivan! Still have a motorcycle, 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT a sport touring bike. I have been taking 6,000 mile solo trips on my motorcycle and plan to get 2 or 3 in this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts