Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the current "oversupply" of Bolts in CA, I know this topic is a little premature, but how do you think GM will handle the model year change over for the Bolt? The current Bolt is a 2017 MY car, and I know cars / trucks from the same company have different MY's within a calendar year, so will GM go to the end of the CY with a 2017 Bolt?
If so, will it be a "December" roll out of the 2018 MY, to roughly correspond to a full one year of sales ?

I am waiting to see how this shakes out, along with the restriction of Illinois sales until May with a June / July delivery, where I live. I am thinking they will have the 2018 MY come out late this year, and if that is true, I would wait at least until news comes out about the '18 so I don't miss a big change, and possibly get a better deal on a '17 if I decide to.

Anyone have any guess on how this will be handled?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. In the case of the Gen 2 Volt, the MY 2016 ended early and some running upgrades landed with the '17s before the national rollout was even completed.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. In the case of the Gen 2 Volt, the MY 2016 ended early and some running upgrades landed with the '17s before the national rollout was even completed.
Yeah, but there was no difference in CARB credits for 16s and 17s.
For model year 2018 and on, the Bolt only qualifies for 3 ZEV credits compared to the '17s 4.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Looking at the way they calculate CARB credits, it's in GM's best interests to milk the 2017 production run as long as possible.
Only if they can USE the credits - otherwise they just go to waste. (It would be different if they were approaching the limit of EVs for tax reductions, but they aren't, yet)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Only if they can USE the credits - otherwise they just go to waste. (It would be different if they were approaching the limit of EVs for tax reductions, but they aren't, yet)
Huh?

ZEV credits and the Federal Tax Credit are unrelated.

And the Tax Credit in not tied in any way to model year, only the # of units sold (and the quarter in which they reach 200K).

Excess ZEV credits can also be sold (that's the only way Tesla has ever shown a profitable quarter).

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Normally the next year's models ae released in September, but in the case of the Bolt, I suspect they will announce whatever changes there may be (I predict very little) and take orders, but I would guess deliveries would be late December, or even January. The CARB credits are the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The way that CARB ZEV credits are calculated will change next year. Right now a 2017MY Bolt generates 5 ZEV CARB credits. Starting with the 2018 Model Year, that same Bolt sold in 2018 would only earn 2.88 ZEV credits. So it is in GM's interest to sell as many Bolts in CARB states this year to maximize the number of credits earned because next year the credit gets cut nearly in half.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think Oct-Nov 2017 is the earliest when 2018 Bolt EV news will appear, and GM will unveil it. I wouldn't expect major changes. Model 3 will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Someone said they contacted Chevy already and they stated December 17. That's a tad later than I would have expected though and considering no information has really come out yet, I don't think they'd make much changes anyhow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I contacted Chevy directly and they stated sometome in December, 2017 the new year models would arrive.
Please elaborate on “arrive”...
Do you know if they mean the cars will be shipped or already be in the dealerships for purchase or they’d start building it? I ask because I am in canada and ordered a bolt ev 2018, and I am just waiting to hear from the factory when it’s going to start being built. If they do mean arrive in December in the US, my car will come as early as February instead of April/may...
Thanks

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Please elaborate on “arrive”...
Do you know if they mean the cars will be shipped or already be in the dealerships for purchase or they’d start building it? I ask because I am in canada and ordered a bolt ev 2018, and I am just waiting to hear from the factory when it’s going to start being built.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have a Bolt on order that's supposed to be built during the week of October 30. But I told the dealer that if the 2018 Bolt comes out with something compelling that I want (which is not all that likely, I admit) then I'd cancel the 2017 order in favour of a 2018 one. So for me the critical date is whenever GM announces the 2018 model along with its pricing and options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to order a Bolt as well but it's hinging on a few things. First off my existing car won't be paid for until February. And I hoping that I can get 2018 in the spring if they are readily available in Ontario at that time. I don't expect there to be much in the way of changes with the newer model but I'm hopeful that the software will be a bit better tuned. I'm hoping that my existing 7yr old car will hold up until then. It has 265k Kms on it and will soon need a clutch. But the spring it will be approaching 300k Kms.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I don't expect there to be much in the way of changes with the newer model but I'm hopeful that the software will be a bit better tuned.
There's a halfway decent chance that any software improvements that get rolled out for the 2018 model year will also be available for the 2017 cars. But I wouldn't stake anything important on it...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello, new to the forum here.
After months of research and debate I finally decided to put a deposit on a chevrolet bolt. Since it’s so late in the year now, I asked the dealer here near Toronto to sign me up for a 2018 model black mosaic premier.
The manager mentioned to me that production should start in mid to late December 2017.
I’m going to take the time to upgrade my electrical infrastructure: plan so far is to have 200 amp electric panel with 100 amp sub panel in the garage to feed 2 chargers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Orders will be opening in the next couple of weeks. Production starts around December 17th with them being delivered sometime in January and later. Dealers near me (maybe all of Ontario too) have allocation limits so if you aren't on a list soon you might miss out on this model year just like they did with the 2017.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I was shopping for a Bolt earlier this month, the local dealer told me that he expects the 2018's to arrive in late December or January. I decided to go with the 2017 based on the possibility of the BEV Federal tax credit being taken away in 2018.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts