Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new 2018 Bolt Premier on Saturday in northern Atlanta. I was debating between the Clarity and The Bolt but when my wife managed to "break" the clarity on our second test drive I decided to go with Bolt:) Not to mention the end of the month incentives made it to good of a deal to pass up. This is my first American car I have ever purchased so I am a little nervous. This is my second electric car as I leased the 2012 Leaf. I love the car so far but I am big on reliability so I am hoping. I really do appreciate all the valuable on this website so thank you all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As one new owner to another, here are a couple of tidbits.

Don't worry about the estimates for range. I found mine to be way low at first. Probably from the prior test drives. It made me think something was wrong. Mine didn't get to be that useful until I had 500 miles or so on it. I do pay attention to the miles/kwh. For me, I try to target 4 miles per kwh. Now my range estimates are usually 230-240.

At first I thought I needed to charge it to full even though I might not have driven that much. Seems that is not really good for the battery. Now I just charge when I anticipate going over 100 miles or when it gets below half full.

I'm really enjoying mine. Hope you do too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. It's white and while not my favorite color it is growing on me. Sure beats the boring ride of my old 2008nCamry hybrid.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I had leased one of the very early generation Nissan Leafs and i can already tell how much better the range is. I remember on the leaf literally watching 5 miles disappear in 500 feet as one accelerated to 55 MPH on the interstate��.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats LBrooks51115.

You will find that many, many Bolt owners had reliable Japanese cars before purchasing the Bolt. From what I can tell, the reliability of the Bolt has been excellent so far and far outpaces other GM products.

I do not think you will be disappointed.

Again, congrats on the new Bolt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Don't sweat the reliability - the car is made of 60% Korean parts. LG manufacturers the battery, motor, stuff you REALLY don't want to break, etc. I owned a Honda Fit and the quality of the hard plastics GM uses for the interior of the Bolt surpases the Fit's IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for the assurances on the quality. I have to say over the past 10 years while my Toyota Hybrid has been a really reliable car, it has been just such a boring car to drive. I had been leaning in the Hybrid direction again and had test driven every Toyota Camry Hybrid trim over th past month trying to convince myself to go the practical route but it was such a boring ride even with the new CVT. On the other hands the Bolt is such a fun car to drive and for me the 240+ Miles eliminates the range anxiety issue. I driv my cars into the ground anyway so the depreciation issue doesn't bother me and some of the research I came upon suggested that the Bolt depreciation won't be nearly as bad as the Leaf and or the Volt.

167 Posts
I believe the Bolt is solid in quality and build. Only time will tell. But it's certainly looking like the trend indicator on the DICU range gauge is headin' the right way! White is the best color. Love it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome. It's white and while not my favorite color it is growing on me. Sure beats the boring ride of my old 2008nCamry hybrid.
Just think: white color means less visible swirly marks. Dark colors are very drool-worthy, but once swirls start to appear you're gonna have a Bad Time keeping the swirls away.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the color, I took this car because it was the car I got the deal on, now that I have it a few months I really have grown to like the white.

I find its an easy color to wipe down with microfiber (wet) towels, it won't show the light scratches from wiping.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's exactly right on the color. They had an LT in grey but I really wanted the Premier. In all honesty I was planning on waiting to buy this month and had just put some feelers out there in Truecar on whim this past Saturday. I happened to get a call from a Georgia dealership that I think mainly sells mainly SUVs and trucks. The price on both the LT and Premier were about 3k lower than what Truecar had been quoting as a good deal and 6k lower than what other dealerships had been quoting in and around Georgia so I felt it was too good of a deal to pass up. Since it was tha last day of the month they were very aggressive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Don't sweat the reliability - the car is made of 60% Korean parts. LG manufacturers the battery, motor, stuff you REALLY don't want to break, etc. I owned a Honda Fit and the quality of the hard plastics GM uses for the interior of the Bolt surpases the Fit's IMO.
I have two data points for O.P. - completely empirical / real world. My car before last was a red two door 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier that went for over 300,000km and 14 years with just the front rotors and pads in my driveway every few years for $81.00 Canadian, and a new battery at the 8 year mark - oil every 6 months or so, tires every five years (for ozone/oxidize).
When we were done with it we sold it for $1,500 - not a thing to safety, no visible body rust (even with the salt up here) - still in great shape.

I also had a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier (4-door with CD player and air conditioning!!). Ran that beside hers for (6) years ~150,000km, until we needed a mini-van so traded her in. Same story though.
Not a thing to report aside from replacing consumables. She got the van, I ran the '99.

Amazing vehicles !! .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good to to see another GA driver! If you have Georgia Power, be sure to check out their EV tariff at 1.4 cents/kwH nighttime charging and their $250 rebate to install a home charger. If you live on the north side, the alternate fuel license plate program is also worthwhile for commuting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Justin thanks for the info. We don't have Georgia power but will checkout the license plate. I assume that allows you to drive in the " car pool" lane? I also see there is a bill in the legislature to try and reinstate some sort of tax credit. I doubt I it will be retro but if it passes it should continue to help electrify Georgia. Before they took away the Tax credit in 2015 Georgia had the second most electric cars in the country. There was a 3 year period where Nissan owned the northern suburbs!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking at a comment you made in your opening post about charging to less than 100%, on my 2017 Energy Settings screen, I selected Hill Top charging mode to make this happen on mine. I can walk away and be sure the car will stop charging at (I'm guessing the percentage) about 90%.

The one time I wanted to charge it to 100%, after charging overnight to the Hill Top version of full, I went back into settings, turned off Hill Top charging and then I had to unplug the charge cord and plug it back in to initiate the charging again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.