Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2020 Bolt Premier in St. Louis on Saturday and drove it 400 miles home to Oklahoma. I was driving a 2013 Chevy Volt for the last 2 years and it was the car that finally turned me off of ICE. With all of the discounts on the Bolt from Chevy I was able to buy a new Premier for not much more than what local dealers were asking for off lease 2017 models. So far I am very happy with the car and very happy to be able to fit a family of 5 into my car. I had considered buying a M3 but really needed a hatch for work and the MY is still too new and pricey. I also looked at the Leaf and I really liked that car but it was a no go with all of the battery problems they have. My Volt has 90,000 miles and I can still get 45 miles per charge.

·
775 Posts
Welcome Okie!

Great choice, any troubles with the maiden voyage? 400 miles is pretty easy in a Bolt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only issue was with Apple Car Play and Nav from my phone. Missed my first charge point which was really not big deal. (Is there a way to keep the Map on the Phone using ACP?) I planned to stop at the first EA spot to make sure I could charge. I did not want to double back so I proceeded to the next one and charged to 80% without issue. Drove another ~90 miles and stopped again at an EA spot and charged to 80% again. Did not need to stop again. Made it home with 27 miles of range left. Drove 70-75 the entire way. I had made road trips in the Volt with no issues, but that was on gas. This was my first time charging outside of my city or at home (or paying for it). The most amazing thing was as I was finishing charging at my first stop a 2017 Bolt LT rolled up to charge. He made it there with only 17 miles of range left. He was driving from Chicago to Phoenix.

·
775 Posts
Only issue was with Apple Car Play and Nav from my phone. Missed my first charge point which was really not big deal. (Is there a way to keep the Map on the Phone using ACP?) I planned to stop at the first EA spot to make sure I could charge. I did not want to double back so I proceeded to the next one and charged to 80% without issue. Drove another ~90 miles and stopped again at an EA spot and charged to 80% again. Did not need to stop again. Made it home with 27 miles of range left. Drove 70-75 the entire way. I had made road trips in the Volt with no issues, but that was on gas. This was my first time charging outside of my city or at home (or paying for it). The most amazing thing was as I was finishing charging at my first stop a 2017 Bolt LT rolled up to charge. He made it there with only 17 miles of range left. He was driving from Chicago to Phoenix.
CP maps can be persistent if you use the dashboard in the lower left corner. It will display map plus music controls, etc. you can tap on the map section to make it full screen.

The dash was added in iOS 13 I recall.

Also, press the home button on the Bolt infotainment controls to return to the default Bolt display, long press home to return to CP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV [Mosiac Black]
4 Posts
I'm surprised you had to go all of the way to St Louis. I'm in Arkansas and was able to pick up a 2020 Bolt at a great price in Springfield.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowest price I could find in my area was $33,000. Off lease 2017 Premiers with 30K miles were $19,000. Bought mine with 30 miles for $26,500. If I had a trade it would have been $24,500. Sticker was $43,000. I searched AutoTrader for the lowest priced Bolt Premier. The dealer in St. Louis and One in South Carolina both had cars listed for $24,000. St. Louis was much closer and I like the Mosaic Black so that is where I went.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
200 Posts
I'm jealous of the Oklahoma fast charging infrastructure. I couldn't believe my eyes about six months ago when I was playing around in Plugshare and saw all of those stations.

I think you made a good decision, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, i was surprised as well to find so many DC chargers on my way back. I need to see if there are any going to OKC. There are also plenty of free L2 chargers in Tulsa.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I just looked in plugshare and there are way more options than 2 years ago when I was looking at used Nissan Leafs and determined there was no way to buy one in OKC and make it to tulsa in one day. There were not even any L2 much less DC. Looks like most of these stations are Francis. They are based in Tulsa. Rates are $1 to connect and .32 cents a minute. I think i would rather pay by kWh.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
200 Posts
I drove through OK twice at the end of last year and much of that Francis Charge network wasn't installed/active (if I remember correctly). It was still easy to traverse with the EA sites alone.

The Nissan Ariya might be worthwhile, but I don't think I'd ever buy a LEAF. The 24, 30, and 40, at a low price would make for a good second family roundabout/commuter or teenager car. The lack of active battery cooling is a deal breaker to me and many others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts