Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Picked up a 2021 bolt ev slate grey metallic about a week ago and I would say I’m getting used to how quiet it is and well of a car it is
The day after getting the car, it was a must to get the windows tinted and I must say gives the car a better look
Coming from driving a v8 Dodge Charger, sure it’s a huge change not to hear that engine but this as a daily driver does well

just yesterday I charged up for my first time, need to get a level 2 charger because level 1 isn’t getting the job done quick
As far as level 2 chargers, what are the best ones in the market right now? What experience do you guys have
I’ve seen juicebox 40 is good?
I know Costco right now has one going for 430 I believe? Axfast
I also know chevy sells one on their website, any one have experience with that one as well? Or what are you guys running to juice up your bolts

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,250 Posts
As far as level 2 chargers, what are the best ones in the market right now?
Welcome.

Juicebox has a good reputation, and many Costco Bolt owners are happy with Axfast.

Your question will generate an overwhelming number of biased responses, we each have our own favorites.

First, check with your utility company, many offer rebates on particular brands so you would want to narrow your focus. Also, keep in mind there is a 30% credit on IRS taxes that is available on the equipment and install costs.

A few things to get your arms around. Bolts prior to 2022 model year max out at 32Amps on 240V L2 chargers. This yields about 7.68kW and can charge from 0-100% in about 9 hours. It is rare that you would get near 0% (never less than 5% in my 3+ years driving a Bolt), and the car will typically sit in your driveway\garage for 8-12 hours nightly. So, it may be best to think about the need for charging speed in terms of what your typical daily use is, this is easy to see on the Energy Screen summary and will be stated as kWh used since last full charge.

Higher powered L2 chargers tend to cost more than modestly powered ones. The electrical work costs will be a minimal difference whether you go with a 30, 40, or 50A circuit, so focus on the price and reputation of the charger itself. Also, consider whether a mobile cord you can take on trips as a backup is desirable, vs a wall mount unit.

The OEM cord can be used (with adapters) on 240V outlets, it would double the charging rate. This is a bit of a hack, and some on the forum are a bit less keen on the idea than others. But, it could offer 2x faster charging (120V 12A = 1.44kW vs 240 12A = 2.88kW). If your daily need is less than 100 miles or 25kWh, then this could fit the need and cost less than $50 (plus any electrical work if you don't already have a 240V\20A or greater outlet to use).

Over time, growth in public charging availability will make it less relevant to bring a cord with you when you travel. The availability of public charging has grown at least 300% in the three years Ince I bough my Bolt, and is likely to continue at similar or faster pace in the future.

Amazon sells most L2 brands available today, if nothing else it can be a good place to find owner reviews. But, shopping for EVSEs can be confusing to new owners. Familiarize yourself with terms like Amps, kilowatts and NEMA plug types.

WRT Amps, and circuit you plug in to will need to be 125% capacity vs the EVSE. So, if it is a 24A EVSE, you need a 30A circuit to plug in to. A 32A unit will require 40A or better.

Kilowatts (kW) is a function of V*A, so 240V*32A = 7.68kW. A charger with this capacity would add 7.68kWh into the pack per hour.

To become familiar with plug types, do a Google search on NEMA Plug Chart, generally 6-50, 10-50 and 14-50 and maybe 14-30 are going to be most common options on EVSEs. If you want compatibility with public outlets for remote location destinations, 14-50 seems among the most common at RV sites.

I suggest you narrow down a few options, then ask for experience with these.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat
102 Posts
Tony, you don't say whether you have a high-current outlet in your garage yet. Or do you charge outdoors? It appears you only need to charge weekly for your needs - is that right? Do you have an ICE car for really long trips? What state do you live in, and is your location really hot or really cold? Is it a townhouse or multiple-dwelling of some kind? Getting the right EVSE isn't that hard, but there are a lot of factors involved. Just as an example, some people who can't or don't want to install a special circuit are able to use their clothes dryer outlet - but for others, that is too far away or too much trouble, or 24 Amps isn't a fast enough charge for them. You need to give some more specifications to get the best advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the same Bolt a couple weeks ago! I love the Slate Grey color. Last week I had the Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed and it's been great so far. I'd definitely recommend. 👍

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,282 Posts
If a electric dryer outlet isn't handy, I'd have a 50A circuit installed, with a 14-50R on the wall, make a 14-50P to 5-15R adapter, and try to live with the OEM EVSE at 240V for a while to see if it meets your needs. Many on here have found that it does, and it could save you several hundred dollars.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Hello everyone
Picked up a 2021 bolt ev slate grey metallic about a week ago and I would say I’m getting used to how quiet it is and well of a car it is
The day after getting the car, it was a must to get the windows tinted and I must say gives the car a better look
Coming from driving a v8 Dodge Charger, sure it’s a huge change not to hear that engine but this as a daily driver does well

just yesterday I charged up for my first time, need to get a level 2 charger because level 1 isn’t getting the job done quick
As far as level 2 chargers, what are the best ones in the market right now? What experience do you guys have
I also know chevy sells one on their website, any one have experience with that one as well? Or what are you guys running to juice up your bolts
As JMB said earlier in this thread "it may be best to think about the need for charging speed in terms of what your typical daily use is..."

That's key: In my particular pattern of use even charging with the stock charger at 120volts works for us. Even doubling it by plugging in to 240 with the stock charger would for us be barely justified. And if we ever need a faster charge there are 16 free city owned level-2 chargers within 1/2 mile of our home. So, like JMB, I'd say get an idea of how many miles per day you're likely to drive, how quickly you need to get recharged. Then shop for chargers.....

My four cents (inflation)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello everyone

I got a Blink Level 2 charger off Amazon... got 100 off and then Blink gave me 100 dollars credit on my account for 12 months. So with my Cousins help we installed it. Total cost to me was $200.
It is not fancy but charges just fine and I like that I can flip a switch to shut it off or delay it for hours (with my Bolt I have it set up for only off peak charging anyway) I use the My chevy app to monitor charge and see when it will complete....
Love your Slate Grey Bolt!!! I love mine!!!
Go Bolt Nation!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Slate grey is my favorite color. I have been using the Juicebox 40 for about 2 yrs now and it has been great. I got the 40A while using it for the Volt, but with the anticipation that I go full EV in the future, so it works great now with the Bolt.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
6 Posts
My car is a virtual twin, love the slate grey color there's a little sparkle in it when its got good sunshine on it. Enjoy it....my first purchase was MaxPider front floormats, next is a dashcam....lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts