Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought our 1st all electric vehicle ever, a used 2017 Chevy Bolt EV with 27K on the clock, back in August 2020. Black Metallic with the light grey and white leather interior. A CA lease return with the back of the car covered in CA carpool stickers. It's my wife's car (but she demanded we buy it after she saw how easily I was able to fit my [email protected]$$ frame in the passenger seat). Here's what we've done so far.

1) Removed all the CA stickers and the front license plate bracket from the grille.
2) Removed the 3D dealer advertising logo.
3) Blacked out the chrome around window and door handles, side and back chrome accent strips.
4) Changed silver-gray colored top and bottom grills to black.
5) Blacked out gold centers in front and back bow tie emblems.
6) Installed smoked window visors on all four doors.
7) Installed Black door edge guards on drivers door.
8) Added silicone license plate mounting surround on our new Alt Fuel Blue Sky Plate. (Hello single driver car pool lane use.)
9) Installed front and rear 3D car mats.
10) Installed rubber hatch floor and trunk floor covers.
11) Bought 11" rigid seatbelt extenders for me. (6'7" - 340lbs and amazingly, I've got more headroom and leg room in the Bolt than I have in my 2006 Honda Ridgeline).
12) Added a Dashmat to help cut down on the glare.

The car looks great with with the chrome delete. It was done with vinyl wrap in a black gloss. We didn't want to do a full on murder on the car, so we left the Bolt logos alone, didn't do anything with the roof rails and kept the stock tires and wheels, for now.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and see about getting them up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, got a couple of duplicate photos at the beginning. Picture of the WellVisors. Pain to install but they both look nice and help vent the heat out of the car while making it appear the windows are rolled all the way up.

My wife, who is only 5'2" complained the windshield visors wouldn't come down low enough to help her when driving into our AZ sun early in the morning and evening. I picked up these visors extenders from Amazon and she says they work great.

The rear floor mats fit and look great and help break up the gray monotone.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The front floor mats fit and look great. I had thought about deleting the deadbeat pedal, but I've got plenty of room.

The Dashmat is from a local Arizona business called Dash Designs in Tempe. They have dozens of options in materials and color. My wife wanted something that would match the dash color, so we went with a medium gray. It really helps cut down on the reflection glare from bare plastic dash on the inside of the windshield. Plus the AZ sun won't be damaging the dash. 20201003_171053.jpg 20201003_171150.jpg 20201003_171130.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
605 Posts
Probably not many black cars in your area?

Looks nice. Well Visors and 18% tint are my only mods. In CO, rarely gets hot enough for AC, but cracking windows with Well Visors allows enough circulation without rain getting in. And parking in the sun with windows cracked keeps the cabin quite a bit cooler on the hotter days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably not many black cars in your area?

Looks nice. Well Visors and 18% tint are my only mods. In CO, rarely gets hot enough for AC, but cracking windows with Well Visors allows enough circulation without rain getting in. And parking in the sun with windows cracked keeps the cabin quite a bit cooler on the hotter days.
Despite living in AZ for the past 35 years, both my wife and I always own black vehicles. When they're clean and polished, you can't beat the look.

All of our vehicles have window visors as well. I wish AVS made the visors for the bolt. The install would be so much easier, but these work fine.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
605 Posts
Despite living in AZ for the past 35 years, both my wife and I always own black vehicles. When they're clean and polished, you can't beat the look.

All of our vehicles have window visors as well. I wish AVS made the visors for the bolt. The install would be so much easier, but these work fine.
Black looks great, when clean but highlights dust.

You in Tucson? I lived in Flagstaff about 40 years ago, lots of friends and trips to Phoenix and Tucson back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
The front floor mats fit and look great. I had thought about deleting the deadbeat pedal, but I've got plenty of room.

The Dashmat is from a local Arizona business called Dash Designs in Tempe. They have dozens of options in materials and color. My wife wanted something that would match the dash color, so we went with a medium gray. It really helps cut down on the reflection glare from bare plastic dash on the inside of the windshield. Plus the AZ sun won't be damaging the dash. View attachment 30870 View attachment 30871 View attachment 30872
Rusty that Dashmat is very nice .. all the ones I have been looking at look cheap . If I decide to order one I'll call them up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Black looks great, when clean but highlights dust.

You in Tucson? I lived in Flagstaff about 40 years ago, lots of friends and trips to Phoenix and Tucson back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phoenix. And yes, Dust is an issue, but a good wax and a car brush can deal with most of it.
Rusty that Dashmat is very nice .. all the ones I have been looking at look cheap . If I decide to order one I'll call them up.
[/QUOTE
anyone who can take their car to their shop can also get it professionally installed for free. Mine took around two weeks to be made and it only about 20 minutes to do the install.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How did you remove the CA carpool stickers completely? Any residue/scratches left after that?
I used a hair dryer to soften the stickers and a finger nail to start the slow 90° pull off process.
Keep it warm. Be patient.

But since these are 'tamper proof' stickers they leave behind a lot of adhesive.

I used cloth rags and 3M Adhesive Remover. It's the real deal for this job! Will not harm the paint.
Wear gloves and soak and wipe and fold the cloth as you go. Get comfortable.. You'll be on the ground for a while.
It's still a slow sticky job and plan on throwing away the rags when you're done.

I had 3 red ones that I stuck to the sides of the lower hatch area below the false floor,,, for a history/heritage lesson. :sneaky:
They'll come right off. Most the adhesive stayed on the car body.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Despite living in AZ for the past 35 years, both my wife and I always own black vehicles. ....
Good lord, Black was my No Deal color.
Do you ever take a temp reading of the interior of a Black car sitting out in the summer sun? Especially where you live???

There is a reason you don't see Black Airplanes.

You're cooking your Bolts avionics, the interior materials and the top of the battery pack, (maybe)...:cool:

I know style has its place and time, but....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cool car ! Here's the most valuable tip for it. Keep it plugged in when the temp. is 90 degrees or higher. Excellent for battery life preservation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts