Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Long time reader, but this is my first post. I got my 2017 Black LT back from Donohoo Chevrolet today, they replaced the battery. Drove it 100 miles back home to Georgia with no issues. Here are a few observations I've made about the battery replacement process.

D) The new battery feels like more than a 10% boost for a 2017, because it restarts the clock on battery degradation. Big, big difference.
That your car is a 2017 model year car is of interest, which suggests that GM is now moving beyond the 2019 Korea-built battery cars (although it looks like a few such cars have not yet been moved to remedy eligibility). When did you notice the recall status change?

Did your car have what GM probably considers "high risk" charging / discharging habits (frequent charges to 100%, frequent deep discharges)?

Also, 2017-2019 batteries apparently commonly had other quality issues, such as a range of low voltage cell groups in the 60s and 70s, that have not been reported on 2020+ cars. These probably limited many of the cars to significantly lower than nominal capacity to begin with, even without degradation (my now-repurchased 2017 car generally acted like it had 56kWh summer and 54kWh winter). So, in addition to higher (+8%) nominal pack capacity, the better quality (even cell group voltages) probably means that some 2017-2018 customers will see an even greater capacity / range increase than +8% (2019 did have an unadvertised increase in nominal capacity over 2017-2018).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Here's the bit you are interested in....... "Based on manufacturing records, we have identified your vehicle battery as one built within a date range scheduled for priority repair under this recall."
Interesting... what was the build date of your car (sticker at the bottom of the B-pillar visible with the driver's door open), and has your car's battery or any of its modules ever been replaced?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
As you can see from Battery replacement recall remedy tracking summary , your car is one of two 2017 cars reported on these forums as remedy-eligible to now -- and the other one had a battery replaced in fall 2018 when the highest risk batteries used in 2019 cars were made. Some 2017 cars reported in the Facebook group were already at dealers needing battery replacements due to "bad battery" codes.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I guess we are all left to speculate why your car was called for the remedy, since the history is mostly unknown. But maybe there will be more 2017-2018 cars (and the remaining 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries) called for remedy soon.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I noticed Donohoo had a ton of Bolts on their website. With higher prices than last Spring as you mentioned.
They must have been heavily involved in the buybacks to make a few bucks on resale. :)
I did notice that they had a lot of 2017-2019 Bolts in their inventory, clearly marked as to battery status (fixed, battery available, or battery not yet available), with varying for sale statuses (can buy immediately, can buy but wait up to 10 days for a new battery to be put in, can reserve but you may be waiting an unknown time before the battery can be replaced and the car becomes sellable). Last I checked, they did not have any 2020+ used Bolts -- could be that they were only choosing to buy those for inventory that they believed would be in the earlier part of the recall remedy order. They also note which cars were "reacquired" (i.e. repurchased by GM) at some point in the past.

It does seem that they know what they are doing with respect to Bolts and the recall, based on what they post in their blog.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Seems like everything they are selling with a new battery will have a branded title. I have a hard time with their 21k - 25k price for a branded title car.

Thoughts?
The branded title will be on those cars that were repurchased by GM. Some, but not all, of the cars that they have were repurchased by GM (and prominently marked as "reacquired" on the web site listing).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
So, you're talking about - 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Reacquired Premier VS 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT.

If it gets a new battery at that dealer it won't be branded if it wasn't "reacquired?"
A car that was not repurchased by GM (i.e. acquired by the dealer in one of the usual ways like trade-in or through a typical used car auction) would not have a branded title due to the GM repurchase that it did not go through.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Correct!! There will be LOTS of Bolts on the used market with salvaged titles. Major hit on the resell value.
Salvage is different from repurchase/buyback/lemon.

Most Bolts with repurchase/buyback/lemon titles will be no worse than any other because they were repurchased due to the recall that will have been fixed by the time they can be bought.

However, a few true lemon Bolts that had other problems resulting in repeated unsuccessful attempts to repair could also be hiding in that set of Bolts with repurchase/buyback/lemon titles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts