Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the SF Bay Area! I picked up my Bolt EV two weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. This is our second EV, replacing a Fiat 500e. The Fiat was a great car, but the Bolt EV is an upgrade in almost every way.

I'm an autocrosser, kart racer, project car builder, and EV enthusiast. I modified the Fiat for awesome handling and will likely do the same with the Bolt EV. I look forward to sharing knowledge on the forum!

Obligatory new car pic:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome !

The suspension is surprisingly sporty and firm.
My wishful To Do list for handling and performance:
- Lightweight 16" wheels (GM spec including hubcentric)
- Lightweight 2 pieces brake rotor
- Stickier rubber (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or PSS, same overall diameter as stock)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Hello from the SF Bay Area! I picked up my Bolt EV two weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. This is our second EV, replacing a Fiat 500e. The Fiat was a great car, but the Bolt EV is an upgrade in almost every way.

I'm an autocrosser, kart racer, project car builder, and EV enthusiast. I modified the Fiat for awesome handling and will likely do the same with the Bolt EV. I look forward to sharing knowledge on the forum!

Obligatory new car pic:

Welcome! Woo hoo! Another LT guy! We seem to be outnumbered by all these fancy pants Premier guys, so good to see another.;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome! Woo hoo! Another LT guy! We seem to be outnumbered by all these fancy pants Premier guys, so good to see another.;)
Great photo and electricity producing turbines to add emphasis. Just need to sketch in a power cable from a turbine to your Bolt. (a fancy pants Premier guy)

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'm guessing someone lives near Livermore/Altamont pass...

Welcome to Bolt ownership ranks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes!

Welcome !

The suspension is surprisingly sporty and firm.
My wishful To Do list for handling and performance:
- Lightweight 16" wheels (GM spec including hubcentric)
- Lightweight 2 pieces brake rotor
- Stickier rubber (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or PSS, same overall diameter as stock)
I agree the suspension is already well-tuned on this car. Will probably leave it alone (until a swaybar becomes available) and focus on tires. Also agree on reducing unsprung weight. But this won't be my auto-x car.

Sharp eyes spotting the LT trim! The Premier is nice but the extra goodies just didn't compel me. Base model is great bang for buck.

Great photo and electricity producing turbines to add emphasis. Just need to sketch in a power cable from a turbine to your Bolt. (a fancy pants Premier guy)
Thx, I love this location for EV photoshoots.

I'm guessing someone lives near Livermore/Altamont pass...

Welcome to Bolt ownership ranks...
You got the location right! I don't really live close, but within an easy afternoon Bolt-range roundtrip drive.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations!

What kind of cars have you built and what do you autocross?
Nothing really special but enough to keep a smile on my face:

Current:
Miata set up for auto-x, adjustable suspension, light wheels, roll bar, racing seats, added lightness
Scion FRS with adjustable suspension set up for canyon drives, meaty tires, ECU tuning, final drive gear swap
Toyota FJ Cruiser lifted, ass-kicking tires, winch bumper, rock sliders, armored underbelly

Past:
Fiat 500e, Abarth front suspension, cut springs and konis in rear, ST swaybar, Abarth rims, sticky tires, go-pedal throttle controller
S2000, adjustable suspension, light wheels, meaty tires
MR2 Spyder with 2ZZGE motor swap, 6spd trans swap, TRD suspension, softtop delete, JDM hardtop, added lightness
Honda CRX with JDM ZC motor swap, suspension, body kit
several Civics with light mods

I perform mods and maintenance myself. At one point I was planning a DIY EV conversion of my own. But by the time I priced out battery cells, BMS, inverter, motor, controller, charger, instrumentation, accessories, and custom machining/fabrication for adapters/mounts/axles/etc the numbers just weren't close to economical. And now mass-produced EVs are affordable and reliable. And fun.

The Bolt is actually my wife's commuter and a lease so I won't be doing much to it. Although, that's what I said about the Fiat, haha.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the Bay Area Bolters! (I'm in SSF).

I agree that a sway bar would be desirable, along with stickier tires. This car longs to be thrown into some turns.

And since you know about late apexes, you undoubtedly also know that red is the fastest color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts