Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my new Bolt home last night. Plugged it in with the 120v charger that came with the car. I need to stop the charging this am. Owner?s manual says use STOP on the charging screen but there is no STOP on the charging screen. What to do? Also shortly after I plugged in last night I used the microwave to feed the dogs and the circuit breaker tripped which of course interrupted the charging on the Bolt. There is a message about that interruption which is good in that it lets me know but how do I get it to go away now. Thanks for helping a newbie!

·
Registered
105 Posts
To perhaps help a bit with your charging ..(tripping the breaker)

While a designated circuit is preferable ..

Check in your charging settings that you have opted for the LOWER amperage setting.

Level 2 charging, on its own circuit and using the set up for time of charge will solve all your problems.

·
Registered
782 Posts
if you're sharing a circuit with a microwave the car and the microwave and going to demand too much current and constantly trip the breaker…

an normal household circuit is a 120 volts at 15 amps - 120 * 15 = 1,800 watt load MAXIMUM - but you need to derate that by 20% for continuous load so 1440 watts is a typical load.

The Bolt is either 8 amps or 12 amps depending on the setting in the car
8 amps = 960 watts
12 amps = 1440 watts

microwave are anywhere from 800 to 1400 watts depending on model and size of the unit - most are about 1100 watts

1100 watts from the microwave uses most of an entire circuit - if you add the Bolt to the microwave usage 1100 + 960 = 2060 watts - well above the maximum circuit load of 1800 watts - so the breaker will trip.

recommendations:

use a different plug for the Bolt to charge one not sharing a load with a kitchen appliance (toasters and coffee makers also have quite the load)
get a dedicated circuit
find/install a 240 volt circuit and get a good quality L2 EVSE car charger - it will charge the bolt faster (by unto 8 times faster) and you won't have to worry about breakers pop'ing.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/7138-charging-opinions-long-time-ev-user.html

·
Registered
782 Posts
it should also be noted charging an EV is one of the most demanding uses of a home electrical system - virtually nothing most home owners use have the sort of long term (hours) continuous load that an EV charger has.

Basically an EV charger figures out the max # of amps - and then simply draws that amount of current until it's done…with no pause or "cycle" - so if you have a 30 amp 240 volt circuit that is 5,760 watts - which would take over 10 hours to fully charge an empty Bolt - the EV charger will ramp up to 5760 watts and just sit there and draw that exact amount of power for _HOURS_ on end…

nothing else in a home behaves this way, all other electrical appliances have a cycle, they use some power and then don't for a bit, use some power, then don't for a bit (even AC air conditioners have some "down" time even if they are running continuously as they cycle the compressor)

charging an EV is a very very demanding electrical load and I strongly recommend:

1. a high quality dedicated circuit
2. 240 volts at 40 amps or more (why more than 40? because the Bolt isn't going to be your last EV ;-)

high quality wire, connectors and equipment because when you're using it it's a full load while it's charging and it's dangerous if it's not done correctly.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
The STOP button, the manual refers to, only appears when you are using a DC fast charger. For 120/240 volt ac, unplugging, even under the maximum 7.68 kW load, would be a non-event, but pushing the release button, on the J handle, trips the relay in the high voltage distribution module. Jerking the plug out of a 40+ kW DC load would be like striking an arc with a welder. Fortunately, the plug is locked in while DC charging. I suspect that even if you forced it to unplug, the relay in the high voltage distribution module would open before you burned off your eyebrows. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the comments and insights. Some I figured out earlier today but am sure it will take a few more days to learn the in and outs of ?this new fangled contraption?! The electrician is coming tomorrow and then my Bolt will have it?s own dedicated circuit so no more competition with the microwave. My Bolt was just the 3rd one sold by my dealership, all in October, so we are apparently learning about this car together. Scary! Thankfully you guys are here. I am loving my Bolt so far. 1 pedal driving is so cool!

·
Registered
782 Posts
please tell me you're getting a 240 volt at least 20/30/40 amp circuit installed by your electrician - it will be a much better experience when you have reasonable charge times via a good high quality 240 volt L2 EV charger - called an EVSE.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
No special process - just unplug it - it wii all be fine.
Just to be clear, unplug the end that goes into the car. Pressing down on the release button of the J1772 plug will turn off the charger before pulling the plug actually disconnects the circuit.

What you don't want to do is to unplug the end that goes into the wall first. When you do that the charger will try to keep charging as the disconnect happens which will probably result in the plug arcing into the socket - that can be scary and potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for clarifying. I did assume it meant to unplug the part attached to the car first but others might not. I have been reading through all the prior posts and am learning a lot so others, I?m sure will do the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts